Disco (Never got the hate)

Vincent Vega

I've never gotten the hate for Disco...It was an innovative, fun genre that combined a lot of great elements from other genres (Jazz, Rock, etc) and was not all the same thing, Disco had it's serious lyrics, had an awesome counter culture associated with it. I've read that a lot of the Disco hate in the 70s came from the fact that Disco was a genre whose popularity first bloomed with blacks and gays....

Guest Len B'stard

Me neither, i maybe might've felt different with the sort of saturation that was going on with it in the 70s, particularly if it was at the expense of something sicker but as it stands, christ disco had some bangin' tracks and very talented artists.

It put working musicians on unemployment lines, even though Chic and Donna Summer/Georgio Moroder had some great songs. But I might have been homophobia causing the backlash, and just dudes not into getting dressed up to go dancing. I think globally, you have different situations as far as the disco genre goes. I think for clubs, it was just cost effective to bring a DJ in with a pile of discs.

And this was also the birth of rap, same reason, cheaper to get a turntable and speakers than try to put a band together at a time in NY where things were shit. Funk had some incredible talents, and that's when you saw Sly Stone fall apart, George Clinton making the best out of it (although criticizing it), but thankfully Rick James and Prince came out towards the end of the 70s, and Michael Jackson's "Off The Wall" did phenomenally. R&B wasn't dead, but it was on life support.

I think between disco in the late 70s, and new wave in the early 80s, they were both about getting out of a funk, tired of being beat down, and needed that outlet at the time. Punk rock was around, but it was a cult following at the time. And we can't forget cocaine was also a presence in keeping the club kids up all night and quaaludes, the ecstasy of the 70s.

Guest Len B'stard

And this was also the birth of rap, same reason, cheaper to get a turntable and speakers than try to put a band together at a time in NY where things were shit.

The birth of rap was a Jamaican sound system DJ called Kool Herc importing their sound system culture over to New York, not black kids taking a lead from Disco dude. The mixing of two discs together is a lot of what they did in Jamaica to make like, dub plates, principally identical to what the hip hop DJ did, the innovation of hip hops being the scratching element, the MC rapping over the top is pretty identically dub DJs "toasting" over the aforementioned dub-plates, in a sort of rudimentary rhyming, like so:

And hey presto, you have hip hop :)