In Axl's defense

Dan H.

I don't say a lot of good things about Axl. Personally I don't care for him, or anyone in past or present GNR save Izzy.

However, the thought occurred to me the other night when I was putting posters up in my apartment, that I habitually put up my framed vinyl of Chinese Democracy.

Personally I never hated Chinese Democracy, I loved it when it came out, then it got worse and worse with age, and now I rarely listen to anything GNR past or present.

So it was interesting that I would hang up the album in my living room.

I think a lot of it has to do with the thrill I felt when I was a huge GNR fan, posting here, buying the album, like it was a big insider secret, since none of my other friends knew or talked about it, it was almost personal to me.

But I digress, my conclusion I came to was this... Axl, despite all his short comings, is really a spectacular person. He has an aura about him that is really charming and mysterious, and it sets him apart from other artists in his era and genre.

I mean, in the public eye, Axl isn't considered as bad as you know, Gene Simmons, Steven Tyler, or Bret Michaels... why?

Well, you will probably never turn on VH1 and see Axl featured in a celebrity countdown for the top 100 songs of the 80s or whatever.

You'll probably never see him on a reality TV dating show.

You'll probably never see him doing any of that 'celebrity' bullshit...

And I think that is what is best about Axl. He isn't a 'celebrity', he is a musician. Perhaps one who's music quality is debatable, but he is certainly miles above the scum of the 80s. And I think that's why I still have respect enough to still feel nostalgic enough about that moment four years ago, walking into Best Buy and buying the record.

That was my nice GNR thread of the year.

I don't say a lot of good things about Axl. Personally I don't care for him, or anyone in past or present GNR save Izzy.

However, the thought occurred to me the other night when I was putting posters up in my apartment, that I habitually put up my framed vinyl of Chinese Democracy.

Personally I never hated Chinese Democracy, I loved it when it came out, then it got worse and worse with age, and now I rarely listen to anything GNR past or present.

So it was interesting that I would hang up the album in my living room.

I think a lot of it has to do with the thrill I felt when I was a huge GNR fan, posting here, buying the album, like it was a big insider secret, since none of my other friends knew or talked about it, it was almost personal to me.

But I digress, my conclusion I came to was this... Axl, despite all his short comings, is really a spectacular person. He has an aura about him that is really charming and mysterious, and it sets him apart from other artists in his era and genre.

I mean, in the public eye, Axl isn't considered as bad as you know, Gene Simmons, Steven Tyler, or Bret Michaels... why?

Well, you will probably never turn on VH1 and see Axl featured in a celebrity countdown for the top 100 songs of the 80s or whatever.

You'll probably never see him on a reality TV dating show.

You'll probably never see him doing any of that 'celebrity' bullshit...

And I think that is what is best about Axl. He isn't a 'celebrity', he is a musician. Perhaps one who's music quality is debatable, but he is certainly miles above the scum of the 80s. And I think that's why I still have respect enough to still feel nostalgic enough about that moment four years ago, walking into Best Buy and buying the record.

That was my nice GNR thread of the year.

I'm not interested in all the non-music stuff....I've never understood celebrity worship.

Whether or not Axl does dating shows or metal countdowns has no effect on his music. Nor should it have any effect on your opinion of music created by brett Michaels or seb bach or whomever else.

Axl could do 10 reality shows this year....what would that have to do with the quality of his music?

This thread isn't about his music, and I do think outside factors bring sincerity to the music.

I respect your opinion......not trying to argue or anything.

Just for ME though, none of that other stuff matters. Axl could do 10 reality shows and record an album with Justin Bieber.....I could not care less. The sound of the song is all I care about. Not how cool or private the artist is. I don't dismiss bands or singers just because of their media career. Kim Kardashian could put out a song tomorrow. I'm gonna listen and decide if I like it or not based on how it sounds. Her fake reality fame whoring life will have no bearing if I like the song or not.

To each his own though! What floats my boat doesn't have to float yours.

Wasn't Bach trying to get Axl to do some 'reality show' or something with him on VH1 a few yrs back? And Back mentioned to Axl that they would pay him a million bucks or something and Axl had a great reply- "I'll pay them a million dollars to leave me the fuck alone". Something along those lines....it was pretty classic I thought.

I never understood the thing: "Only about the music".

Ones personality and image has a big effect on how I perceive their music (how could it not have???).

Knowing that Axl lives what he sings and that he write a lot of the music and lyrics himself, makes me a huge fan. He's the real deal. He's feeling the pain and anger that he's singing about.

Also, I really like him as a person and the way he comes across in interviews and during shows (not media bullshit twisted rumors).

He's a tortured soul and he's telling us all about it.

Compare him to another singer like Jon Bon Jovi for example. I dig his music but my interest for Jon Bon Jovi as such is absolutely 0. I would barely care for meeting him at all.

Not to go off topic or be a dick, but just asking...if you don't like anyone in GNR, new or old, except for Izzy, then why exactly are you registered on a GNR message board?

Look at my join date.

GNR were my favorite band when I was in high school, and I still casually enjoyed GNR up until about three years ago.

I stick around for the community mostly.

Yeah I know what you're saying. He isn't a sellout and never will be. He won't change his ways no matter how many people want him to. And I respect that about Axl. There aren't many people like that.

I do disagree about Chinese Democracy though. It's getting better for me with age. I've always really liked some of the songs, but only recently am I warming to Catcher, Prostitute, and starting to love TWAT.

Ones personality and image has a big effect on how I perceive their music (how could it not?)

Why would it?

How is the music not the most important thing?

Let's say that Estranged is your favorite song. It really touches you. Saved your life when u were thinking about suicide after a painful breakup.

Would you stop loving the song if in an interview tomorrow Axl said "lol, I was high all the time while writing it. I figured writing one long song would be easier than writing two songs. At that point I was broke and needed cash, so I wrote a cheesy song with lyrics inspired by a coke high. That song has no personal meaning to me other than it bought me a new house."

I don't get why you would care why an artist wrote a song. Their reasoning shouldn't be as important as to how the song sounds to your ears, and how that song effects YOUR life.

To each his own though. I like bands for their music. Celebrity worship seems weird to me.

I disagree about the celebrity part - he still draws attention and is very aware of how much he wants to give of himself, but you have to take into account how overexposed and huge the band had been, and now can have some control over living as a private citizen and when he wants to be seen. It's prob. a good place for any entertainer to be.

The celebrity part of it will never go away.

I think

Ones personality and image has a big effect on how I perceive their music (how could it not?)

Why would it?

How is the music not the most important thing?

Let's say that Estranged is your favorite song. It really touches you. Saved your life when u were thinking about suicide after a painful breakup.

Would you stop loving the song if in an interview tomorrow Axl said "lol, I was high all the time while writing it. I figured writing one long song would be easier than writing two songs. At that point I was broke and needed cash, so I wrote a cheesy song with lyrics inspired by a coke high. That song has no personal meaning to me other than it bought me a new house."

I don't get why you would care why an artist wrote a song. Their reasoning shouldn't be as important as to how the song sounds to your ears, and how that song effects YOUR life.

To each his own though. I like bands for their music. Celebrity worship seems weird to me.

I think you've gone off the tangent a little

Pretty sure if there wasn't Estranged, and Kim Kardashian suddenly came out with Estranged, I don't think i'd connect to it as i'd have doubts about the sincerity of it, since KK is pretty much an airhead fame whore.

Part of the reason a lot of people like GNR music is the background behind the music.

Agree Auusiegun. I think there is a sincerity behind the music and that is what people respond to. The fans that are left now are the ones that REALLY connect to the music as opposed to the mega fame 'hangers on' they previously experienced.

He has an aura about him that is really charming and mysterious, and it sets him apart from other artists in his era and genre.

No doubt about that! :wub:

Guest Len B'stard

I love Guns n Roses but we're talking about a set of albums i've been listening to since i was 11 yrs old, there ain't no mileage in em no more. I listened to Chi Dem a fair bit when it came out and i might listen to a track or two again here or there and it's like, yeah, it's pretty OK.

As far as Axl and the whole surrounding hoopla, i dunno, i'm just not interested anymore? I caught a bit of that Jimmy Kimmel interview on youtube, watched the first bit, didn't go on to part two (the second youtube link) cuz it was fuckin' boring, sorry to say. He didn't really have shit to say, Kimmel weren't gonna ask him anything worth a shit, he looked like a not very well person that'd been let out for the weekend for a bit of practise, it was just boring.

When an album comes out i'll listen, other than that, any sort of...attraction to the personality of Axl Rose or what he might have to say about anything has pretty much completely dissapated.

And also, i don't rate him any higher than the "scum of the 80s", it's just he's savvy enough to keep his mouth shut in general and not remove all doubt and the rest ain't, there is nothing mysterious about Axl Rose, there's so like, big mystique, he's a middle aged man that sings exceptionally well and lives in Malibu and has a shitload of money, that ain't mystique, that ain't Jim 'nobody knows where he is from day to day" Morrison and hey, he's a guy in his 40s or 50s, it's unreasonable to expect that of him i guess. People like Keith Richards, despite writing an in depth autobiography, have more mystique to them than Axl Rose.

Don't get me wrong, God Bless him and that, all luck to him in his career and endeavours but i find the man thoroughly disinteresting.

Charming? OK, Marlon Brando = charming, David Niven = charming, Axl Rose, really?!?! He looks like David the fuckin' Gnome for crying out loud :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen