Official Rap/Hip Hop/R&B thread

SunnyDRE

Now what I don't understand is the Andre 3000 comment. You can find Outkast boring and not like them, that's cool, but to say he's shit? Now I think has is overrated. By the fans, other rappers, media, everybody has him overrated. And this comes from someone who grew up on Outkast, I love them. In fact I think Big Boi is underrated and is just as good. But Andre can flow. He can tell stories. He can get deep. I know a cat like you can recognize talent, even if you don't like them.

Guest Len B'stard

Maybe it's my age (or maybe not because i didn't find this type of shit interesting even when i was that age) but a 16/17 year old trials and tribulations regarding, for instance, peer pressure are just not interesting to me. There's a kind of classroom morality to it that is something that I never considered hip hop to be about. But i guess like everything things change and to cling to hip hop as an urban art form in 2013 is a little redundant because i guess it isn't anymore.

In fact I think Big Boi is underrated and is just as good. But Andre can flow. He can tell stories. He can get deep. I know a cat like you can recognize talent, even if you don't like them.

Agreed. Sir Lucious Left Foot is fucking great. One of the best albums of the last 5 years.

Give this song a try Len:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0hay4Qw54

Think you mentioned you were a J Cole fan a page or 2 back, he does production on this one.

Edited by Nobodys_Fault

Maybe it's my age (or maybe not because i didn't find this type of shit interesting even when i was that age) but a 16/17 year old trials and tribulations regarding, for instance, peer pressure are just not interesting to me. There's a kind of classroom morality to it that is something that I never considered hip hop to be about. But i guess like everything things change and to cling to hip hop as an urban art form in 2013 is a little redundant because i guess it isn't anymore.

I'm with you to an extent. 90% of rap today has no personality, hell, Pac and ODB had more personality in their little finger than just about all of hip hop put together right now. I do think Kendrick is a little different than most of these newer cats though.

Guest Len B'stard

Now what I don't understand is the Andre 3000 comment. You can find Outkast boring and not like them, that's cool, but to say he's shit? Now I think has is overrated. By the fans, other rappers, media, everybody has him overrated. And this comes from someone who grew up on Outkast, I love them. In fact I think Big Boi is underrated and is just as good. But Andre can flow. He can tell stories. He can get deep. I know a cat like you can recognize talent, even if you don't like them.

Oh he can rhyme for sure, i guess i meant Outkast as a group, the end product, the music overall is naff, i dont like what they do with their talent, its there though :)

And thanks NF, ill give it a whirl.

Kendrick is above all right now IMO. Granted I'm not a HUGE fan of hip hop but I still try to check out new guys and new music whenever I read or hear anything from them. See I first found out about Kendrick Lamar when I read about Dre and Detox. Listened to "The Recipe" Liked his style and kept looking for more from this guy. since then I've been listening to songs that he's featured on and what those artists music is like. No one has come close to Kendrick since I first heard him. He can be whiny and he can be hard in the same great way Eminem used to be. I think he's a great story teller and paints great pictures with his words.

Another favorite of mine, Common. I started listening to him after I'd seen Hell on Wheels. A bit too much god shit but he pulls it off.

Kendrick's wrong about one thing though, Henrik Lundqvist is the King of New York

Kendrick Lamar's music puts me to sleep. Same with that A$AP guy.

Oh he can rhyme for sure, i guess i meant Outkast as a group, the end product, the music overall is naff, i dont like what they do with their talent, its there though :)

And thanks NF, ill give it a whirl.

Wow! Southerplayalistic... is in my top 5 rap albums of all time.

Probably the best one I've heard. All the others are kind of weak, Kendrick dropped names and crowned himself King of New York. Deserves better responses than what he's gotten so far.

Edited by J Dog

Guest Len B'stard

I been tryna tell people about the boy Papoose..Kendrick just appears to be doing what Fif' did with How to Rob.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

In fact I think Big Boi is underrated and is just as good. But Andre can flow. He can tell stories. He can get deep. I know a cat like you can recognize talent, even if you don't like them.

Agreed. Sir Lucious Left Foot is fucking great. One of the best albums of the last 5 years.

Give this song a try Len:

Think you mentioned you were a J Cole fan a page or 2 back, he does production on this one.

Thank you NF, that was quite magnificent :)

I been tryna tell people about the boy Papoose..Kendrick just appears to be doing what Fif' did with How to Rob.

I was listening to first ones and was like, what, these are the responses. Papoose was the only one where it sounded like, Kendrick says he's king of ny and we are not worth name dropping, fuck that I'm going all in.

Probably the best one I've heard. All the others are kind of weak, Kendrick dropped names and crowned himself King of New York. Deserves better responses than what he's gotten so far.

Thought Lupe's verse was much better. I haven't heard much Papoose and I'm sure he's better than this, but some of the lines on this are just flat out fucking awful.

Strip you to your socks, I bet you we got a pussy

My bullets hit em' dead in his cooty come out his booty

Really? :lol:

Edited by Nobodys_Fault

Thought Lupe's verse was much better. I haven't heard much Papoose and I'm sure he's better than this, but some of the lines on this are just flat out fucking awful.

Strip you to your socks, I bet you we got a pussy

My bullets hit em' dead in his cooty come out his booty

Really? :lol:

I'm between Lupe and Papoose. I think Lupe's sounded better, but as far as just shooting back at Kendrick I'm with Papoose. No response has been on par with Kendrick's opening shot.

Edited by J Dog

• 3 months later...