Daily Beast Article on Vegas Shows

downzy

Axl is delivering exactly what the vast majority of the people attending want: a nostalgia greatest hits act. No complaining about that...

The only thing not nostalgic is like the interviewer said Axl's 'brand new' beer gut.

Edited by trqster

i wonder if the dancers were the new addition that pissed bbf off bad. certainly sounds like tommy's not too into 'em. wonder why. chicks rule. and it's a total sausage fest on the gnr stage.

also, the part about the flying piano was pretty sweet. to be honest, that sounds cooler to me than the idea of hearing the band struggle through some poorly rehearsed outtakes from chinese democracy.

sausage fest? So every band that doesn't have dancers onstage is lacking, and a sausage fest? I really don't think of it like that, and I never have, in the 3 times I've seen GNR, Aerosmith, Van Halen, etc.... I don't expect that stuff when I go see a rock n roll band, and I don't think too many other people do, either. If I wanna see chicks dancing, I'll go to a strip club or something. I don't really want that shit at a rock show.

Okay, first of all if you go to a rock show or any show and you don't know who the hell is in the band, then you don't fuckin belong there!

I mean, come the hell on. It's been 20 years or more since Slash has been in GNR and you have to live under a rock if you don't know that. Slash has had many bands since then and yes it's true Axl has had many band members come and go since then, but to still think Slash is in GNR, you just have to be plain stupid.

As for the beer gut, where? I don't see one. Yes, Axl isn't as thin as he was in the 80's, but he's not fat.

Has anyone seen Vince Neil lately? Please. No one seems to mind Vince's fat ass trying to run around the stage.

It's a fact of life as you get older you gain weight, then when you get really old you lose it again. That's life! It sucks yes, but at least Axl and many of us have had our hey day and at least Axl is alive and well and still doing what he loves and I for one am damn glad he is!

Wow! Have you not been to many shows? Ive seen Nuguns 5 times and every show had people that didnt know Slash was no longer in the band. In the end they ended up not caring and enjoyed the show.

Beer gut? Hmm well Axl does have somewhat of a beer gut... is he fat? No but hes not in great shape either. I wouldnt take what these writers say so personally. GnR is a nostalgia act nowadays and thats OK. The Vegas shows are over-the-top like Vegas should be.

It's kinda funny considering the conventional wisdom back in the day that Axl was the least partying member of GNR. He's now really the only one who drinks at all and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a drinking or some other kind of substance problem. At least based on his appearance.

Wonder how all the Axl worshipers will swallow that.

Wow, has anyone ever denied that it is "pretty much the same show" or have you started with groghanisms?

I'm pretty much always respectful to you.

And your first use of the term groghanism turned out to be YOU misrepresenting something. I posted a FACT.......you posted wrong information.

So with that info.....show me one time where I did what you did. One time where you posted a fact and I cherry picked and posted false information and tried to pass it off as fact (like you did).

You and a couple others like to insult me and accuse me of making things up.....but u NEVER actually are able to bring up specific incidences. Like I just did for you.

I can't imagine what it must be like to carry grudges against complete strangers.

Edited by Groghan

Wow, has anyone ever denied that it is "pretty much the same show" or have you started with groghanisms?

And your first use of the term groghanism turned out to be YOU misrepresenting something. I posted a FACT.......you posted wrong information.

So with that info.....show me one time where I did what you did. One time where you posted a fact and I cherry picked and posted false information and tried to pass it off as fact (like you did).

You and a couple others like to insult me and accuse me of making things up.....but I NEVER actually are able to bring up specific incidences. Like I just did for you.

I can't imagine what it must be like to carry grudges against complete strangers.

I wouldn't get too worked up about comments like this Groghan. How many times have people on here debated that the band has been putting on the same show for years. It's like clock work: as soon as the first show is the same as the last tour, the argument ensues. To claim now that such argument was never made is absurd.

You and a couple others like to insult me and accuse me of making things up.....but I NEVER actually are able to bring up specific incidences. Like I just did for you.

I wouldn't get too worked up about comments like this Groghan. How many times have people on here debated that the band has been putting on the same show for years. It's like clock work: as soon as the first show is the same as the last tour, the argument ensues. To claim now that such argument was never made is absurd.

No, what people are disagreeing with are comments like "the setlists are identical", "the shows are just the same", "they have been touring with the exact same setlist for 10 years" and so on, comments which are very different from "pretty much the same show for the last years". I hope you see the difference.

Fact is, the shows are slowly evolving and changing. Not so much as back in the 90s, but enough to result in shows from 2002 (or 2006) being quite different from shows in 2012. Sure, the core set is the same, but who would expect the band to stop playing their hits? What changes is the rest of the songs, the order, and the length of the shows. So no one is having a hard problem with Stinson saying that the shows have pretty much been the same for the last few years, because it is a fact, and no one would have a problem with someone else stating such obvious things (except perhaps for a few delusional rabid fanatics). What many of us disagree with is the constant skewing of reality as a means to find something to attack the band for, like people saying the shows today are the same as back in year X. I have no problems with people wanting more change -- I want, too!! -- I just don't like to see people lie about reality in a weird attempt to somehow substantiating their opinions, something which is primarily not necessarry (no one needs to argue for why they want changes, it is an opinion) and secondly not decent.

Edited by SoulMonster

And your first use of the term groghanism turned out to be YOU misrepresenting something.

Err, I coined that term a long time ago. Have you noticed others are also using it to describe your modus operandi of habitually distorting others arguments into bizarre caricatures which you then fervently argue against, usually to make the reality seem to adhere to your fantasy about it being full of "Axl nutters" or whatever you call them? It is funny.

You and a couple others like to insult me and accuse me of making things up.....but u NEVER actually are able to bring up specific incidences. Like I just did for you.

What? Just search for "groghanism" and you will find multiple examples. Here is one example where you are groghanizing Redhead74:

Great article. In my opinion, it's a pretty fair assessment of current affairs.

Exactly this. Great article! I also think this is very much the experience any not-fanatic-enough-a-fan-to-register-on-a-gnr-forum experiences modern day GnR. And that makes me a little sad. A bit of a hard to swallow reality if you love(d) Guns n' Roses.

I really agree with Tommy on the set and even more on the dancers. I think this is what Ron was pissed off at as well. Stuff like this is another clear sign that GnR is not even remotely a democracy. I kind of hate how much it shows through stuff like this. Adds to the "hired guns" feel. And I feel the guys in the band deserve better than that.

Edited by username

No, what people are disagreeing with are comments like "the setlists are identical", "the shows are just the same", "they have been touring with the exact same setlist for 10 years" and so on, comments which are very different from "pretty much the same show for the last years". I hope you see the difference.

Sorry, don't see any difference in those statements. Structurally it's been the same show since 2001: WTTJ, ISE, Mr. Brownstone, LALD played at the beginning; SCOM, NR, YCBM played in the middle, KOHD, NT played at the end of the first set; Paradise City played as the last song all with the same pyro and confetti year after year. The author in this article makes this point: fans can recite when each song is going to be played. It's not about the band not playing the hits, it's about playing the hits in the same order. Yeah, they've added a few songs here and there, but the narrative of the show has been locked in place for 12 years. Essentially:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OwsaqK5Z8