The newest episode of That Metal Show

Iron MikeyJ

When I was watching the newest episode of That Metal Show I found something quite interesting. While the guys were interviewing Vince Neil, Neil told them that "He is an employee of Motley Crew." He said he likes it a lot and it works out really good for him. He also stated that it allows him more freedom to do his solo projects and other things. But also comeback to do Crew stuff when all the guys are ready for tours and what not. He said everybody in the band is in a good place with the band, first time in a long time. Maybe this employee status that some of the band members have allows for this, instead of fighting over every little thing. Basically too many cooks in the kitchen syndrome.

I couldn't help but think about gnr when Vince was talking about this. This is what Axl wanted to do way back when that Slash and others freaked out about and essentially started the beginning of the end of the classic band. To hear Vince talk so highly of this situation makes me think that maybe Axl has gotten a bad rap publically about this. I know this is going to start another Axl vs. Slash thread, but it really does beg the question. If Slash and Duff would have given things a better try gnr would never of broken up, and they both would of had the freedom to do Loaded, snakepit, and other solo projects. Maybe Axl isn't as much to blame as so many like to think.

On a side note the guy on That Metal Show mentioned the gnr vegas residency because the show was being filmed in Vegas.

I saw the show and immediatly though of GnR as well. IMO I don't believe it's what Vince ultimately wants. I'm sure he would prefer equal share and band ownership. The Crüe went through a rough time for a while and this is how things shook out for Vince for whatever reason.

In regards to GnR. I think the band could have continued even w/ Axl owning the name as long as everyone else had equal share. My understanding is Axl quit GnR and asked Slash and Duff to join his new version of GnR as "employees". That didn't go over well. I think when u take all the things going on Slash drug use, Duff getting sober and focusing on his family, and Izzy being long gone and Axl dealing w/ lawsuits and whatever emotional issues he had at the time. That all created the perfect storm for GnR to emplode

If I was Slash or Duff I wouldn't want to be 'employees' in the corporate version of the band I helped create. If that was me, I'd feel it would be a slap in the face.

But it does make me think how many of these guys would actually want to be there if they were not getting paid.

Did you see the credits where bumblefoot comes out of the closet... lol :)

If I was Slash or Duff I wouldn't want to be 'employees' in the corporate version of the band I helped create. If that was me, I'd feel it would be a slap in the face.

But it does make me think how many of these guys would actually want to be there if they were not getting paid.

Did you see the credits where bumblefoot comes out of the closet... lol :)

I DVR'd the episode and I just watched the part where Bumble comes out of the closet. It made me laugh when Eddie makes him get back in it. It was cool!!! I like that show a lot, one of my favs on tv.

I saw the show and immediatly though of GnR as well. IMO I don't believe it's what Vince ultimately wants. I'm sure he would prefer equal share and band ownership. The Crüe went through a rough time for a while and this is how things shook out for Vince for whatever reason.

In regards to GnR. I think the band could have continued even w/ Axl owning the name as long as everyone else had equal share. My understanding is Axl quit GnR and asked Slash and Duff to join his new version of GnR as "employees". That didn't go over well. I think when u take all the things going on Slash drug use, Duff getting sober and focusing on his family, and Izzy being long gone and Axl dealing w/ lawsuits and whatever emotional issues he had at the time. That all created the perfect storm for GnR to emplode

They'd all say Motley is Nikki's band, he writes the songs and put the thing together, apart from Mick's condition, Tommy and Vince quit the band, but they also appreciate what they have. Vince on his own plays clubs, Tommy was ahead of the game in doing DJ gigs, if anything, he might be the first high profile person that others have followed. Interesting that he's bringing some of that into the band, but it doesn't hurt them, either.

What matters is that it's fun for them, and I'm sure Nikki would say it's still hard work, but everyone knows what they have to do when they get together. Vince knows the money he makes with them go to fund his other projects, which are very expensive.

They might have gone through their ups and downs, but being able to play large venues is a privilege, and you can tell they don't take it for granted. Vince said he's ready to call it a day, but I think when they actually start thinking about it and assessing it, they change their minds about it.

I'd rather see a band go "see us now, we're touring like crazy because we don't know what we're doing next" instead of announcing a farewell tour.

Edited by dalsh327

The problem was, by the time this employee contract thing came around, the band was already on life support. But earlier than that, Izzy had been presented with a contract that reduced his standing in the band along similar lines, and he walked away. I think if Izzy had stayed, the others would've thought about staying a little harder.

The problem was, by the time this employee contract thing came around, the band was already on life support. But earlier than that, Izzy had been presented with a contract that reduced his standing in the band along similar lines, and he walked away. I think if Izzy had stayed, the others would've thought about staying a little harder.

i agree the band was falling apart at that time. Also egos played a huge roll: Slash bringing the SnakePit album in and wanting it to be the next GnR record is a prime example. Im sure Slash and Duff would have agreed to the "employee" status if things weren't so chaotic at the time. They didnt agree w/ huge touring budgets and million dollar videos anyway so I could see Slash and duff agreeing to a certain take home like the guys take now only difference is they would be making a lot more than these guys make. But GnR would be generating a lot more income with Slash and duff in the band so IMO it all works out in the end.

They'd all say Motley is Nikki's band, he writes the songs and put the thing together, apart from Mick's condition, Tommy and Vince quit the band, but they also appreciate what they have. Vince on his own plays clubs, Tommy was ahead of the game in doing DJ gigs, if anything, he might be the first high profile person that others have followed. Interesting that he's bringing some of that into the band, but it doesn't hurt them, either.

What matters is that it's fun for them, and I'm sure Nikki would say it's still hard work, but everyone knows what they have to do when they get together. Vince knows the money he makes with them go to fund his other projects, which are very expensive.

They might have gone through their ups and downs, but being able to play large venues is a privilege, and you can tell they don't take it for granted. Vince said he's ready to call it a day, but I think when they actually start thinking about it and assessing it, they change their minds about it.

I'd rather see a band go "see us now, we're touring like crazy because we don't know what we're doing next" instead of announcing a farewell tour.

I agree.. Motley went through a time when Tommy was not in the band in the mid-to-late 90's. I remember them rolling into town and playing a club down the road from me. i couldnt believe Motley was playing this place. I think they had some chick drummer or something. Anyway I think the guys in Motley (employees or not) figured out that together they can play big arena's and generate more revenue. Axl/GnR doesnt seem to care and seems to take more satisfaction out of the fact that he's preventing Slash from a huge payday than cashing in on one himself.

@sweetness, I dont think so. It sounds like Nikki has the final say, just like what axl wanted with guns. And from the sounds of it vince has the least amount of say, which he seems fine with. I think this exactly what axl was going for, him, then slash, then duff, then whomever else.

Guest RonMexico82

Imagine Mick Jagger telling Keith Richards that he could join The Rolling Stones as an employee on contract?

Mick would be joining Brian Jones six feet under quicker than you can say Jumping Jack Flash.

They also talked about singers warming up their voices before a show. He said some just take a couple of minutes and some not at all. Then he said one guy does it for 6 hours before each show and blows his voice out and I think you know who Im talking about. I wandered if he was taking a jab at Axl. But maybe not.

There's a huge difference between Motley Crue and GNR in this regard. Members in GNR were offered contracts that cut their pay and made Axl the sole owner of the Guns N' Roses name, the members of Motley are still on the same level as eachother.

I will never understand why those idiots, Slash and Duff... Forked over the name to Axl. I will never, never, never get it. And I'm not hating on Axl for doing this... he may have come up with the plan and contract, but Duff and Slash did not have to sign.

So after they did that they were offered contracts and reduced pay to be an employee of GNR inc?

They also talked about singers warming up their voices before a show. He said some just take a couple of minutes and some not at all. Then he said one guy does it for 6 hours before each show and blows his voice out and I think you know who Im talking about. I wandered if he was taking a jab at Axl. But maybe not.

Hmm. He knows Nikki, who knows DJ, who knows Axl. Could be an exaggeration of the truth maybe.

But then again it sounds like Axl doesn't warm up at all anymore.

Honestly a band should be a fascist state like defined by Mussolini. The band, or the State, is it's own person with it's own personality and needs. The members/citizens should be loyal and give everything to it. The Band should be the most important thing. At that point, everyone becomes employees.

It's funny how the $la$holes conveniently leave out this very simple FACT:

Axl was trying to protect GnR and himself in the event that $la$h and Duff killed themselves given their big problems with drugs and alcohol. The point is that had $lash and/or Duff died, then the estates of $la$h and Duff would have equal say in GnR business.

The issue with Izzy was that the guy didn't give 100% to the band anymore. He didn't care to record. He didn't like touring and hated big concerts. He didn't bring any energy to his performances. And as Marc Cantor stated, Izzy was a PARANOID mothafawker.

And Axl also stated, none of them gave a sh|t about him and all the other stuff related to running a big band like GnR. When poop hits the fan, it was always Axl to blame and Axl to clean it up.

So it was a GOOD thing that Axl had the brains to take control of the band and protect it from dying.

Edited by gnrfan2007