The fans.

cooker

Hey Marc,

Are you often troubled with how a portion of the fans split into factions and completely trash the other side? The people who hate Slash and the people who hate Axl? Is it rough to see given your relationship with the men behind the names?

I think its crazy. 99.99999% of the fans don't even know that there is some split fans out there. Fans are there because they like the music, guitar sound, image, vocals, songwriting and what ever else it was that sucked them in. Some of the ones on some of these boards feel they have to pick a side. Why? There is no reason for that. Thats like having to choose between you parents if they split up but neither one did anything wrong to you. Why can't you love them both?

Edited by recklessroad

I think its crazy. 99.99999% of the fans don't even know that there is some split fans out there. Fans are there because they like the music, guitar sound, image, vocals, songwriting and what ever else it was that sucked them in. Some of the ones on some of these boards feel they have to pick a side. Why? There is no reason for that. Thats like having to choose between you parents if they split up but neither one did anything wrong to you. Why can't you love them both?

Resident simpletons are unable to wrap their little brain cells around this simple concept they have to take sides to make themselves look like a "real Gusn N`Roses fan" what they don`t understand is they`re beating a dead horse and come off as spoiled, whiney and cunty bitches

Edited by recklessroad

But isn't this a natural result of what happened to Guns, circa 1994-97? It is also not helped when the band members throw missiles at each other (e.g. Axl's 'cancer' comment). It happened before, with Roth V VH, Ozzy v Sabbath with Paul V John. It is not unique to GN'R by any means. If a band breaks apart, the fan base splinters into factions.

It is interesting how music and band-politics combine. People who support Axl's view of events will naturally love new gnr. People who support Slash's will prefer Snakepit, VR and Slash-solo. You will not find too many fans who support Axl's version of events (thinking Slash is a liar etc etc) yet prefer Apocaylptic Love over Chinese Democracy. Or, vice versa. It is a strange situation.

If people can't appreciate the great music that both of them create then that really is their own loss. I don't know either Axl or Slash personally at all - and thats where people lose the plot. They think that because they have been a lifelong fan of GnR they can formulate opinions and judgements based on very little facts. People really have no right to have the attitude they carry on with some times. When it all boils down Axl & Slash and those that were involved in the early days are the only people that know shit. They're all only human and unfortunately stuff happens - it's just life.

The problem is it was no ones fault. Shit happens people chance.

Exactly. All people change. Everyone has their faults and no-one is perfect.

It seems like GnR became an enormous and very complex beast. I remember reading ( or hearing ?) a quote from one of the guys years ago stating that in their most successful period that Guns N Roses had well over 100 people working for the band. That's a lot of people and personalities and stress.

Marc - Did you sense a change in the band before it started to spiral out of control with the growing popularity and pressures on the band?

It seems to be reported a lot that Izzy was one who disliked that huge scale of popularity...

No matter what happens, they're always going to be connected and they're always going to be a dysfunctional family, and if someone bad mouthed a former bandmember to their face, I would steer clear of what would happen next. I still think there's some brotherly protection they all feel towards each other.

I think hate's pretty strong towards people who do something that gives people joy. If business got in the way of the music, that's on them and the other forces that wedged their way in at the time. I'm sure they all wish there wasn't a feud.

it was all of their fault but the problem i think is deeper than "who fucked over who" or whatever- it's pretty clear by early to mid 90s Slash and Axl were on different pages musically. that coupled with the isolation and issues axl's presented (which given the way the rest of the band acted ie. being doped up the whole time which in turn was fueled by axl's isolation- it's really all a self-fulfilling chain of events) the problem was simply that they just grew differently. Why Axl hates Slash in particular I don't know, but I wonder if it was because they shared a creative connection that was special in some way. I think Slash was the one who was able to translate what was going on in axl's head to sound accessible without losing any of its nuances and power- something I don't think anyone's really had since then.

But then again I'm just musing out the ass so what do I know.

Oh, and just because I feel like it, I'd like to see a reunion... of a sort. No recording together or anything like that, that ship's sailed. But it'd be cool to see them play a show or something once in a blue moon as friends again, then they'd go back to playing with others, slash with his conspirators, duff with his loaded etc etc

Edited by WarpedFX