After seeing the World War Z trailer, I kinda get some of you fans who hate Axl keeping the name......

Gunzen

I have seen Randy make a bunch of odd (and some cool) threads so I am gonna make one. I once compared Chinese Democracy to Godfather three, so here I go again. What the hell else is going on on a Thursday night? First a little back story I am an old guy, I am 45, and I remember seeing Dawn of the Dead in the theaters I am no johnny come lately to the Zombie motif, and have been a fan long before it became hip. Even wrote a college paper on George Romero and his mocking of American Consumerism. Anywhoo, I have never been a fan of the fast zombies cause it just seemed so impossible to ever actually survive, verbose etc..

And apparently neither did Max Brooks, who wrote one of the best books I have ever read;

200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

Here is his 35 second opinion of the fast moving Zombies.....

So now look at the trailer to the film adapted from the book, which he sold the rights too....

While it seems like it may be a somewhat entertaining film, it is NOT WORLD WAR Z for reasons I do not want to get into to spoil the film. But the most amazing part of the book will not be possible, and the book was written in a documentary style etc. It should NOT BE CALLED WORLD WAR Z!

So how this pertains to Axl and GNR. I realized as soon as I saw the trailer there would never be another World War Z like the book, and that ship had sailed, since the name was cheapened, or just diluted, and it pissed me off. It was just a title stolen, but it did have an effect on me. So I kind of see a parallel to how the ship has sailed for the original GNR, and I can somewhat see even though this incarnation is a good band, they are not the original band. And the name has somewhat been diluted.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I just thought I would admit that I may have been to harsh on some of you who really appreciate the original lineup and their name recognition. I still think it is GNR, but I get it. It took Hollywood fucking up a great story for me to see it. :shades:

Edited by Gunzen

What bothers/saddens me the most is that he's only managed to release one new album in the past 20 plus years since he acquired the name. I can't help but think he'd have had a better career if he'd went solo after the real band broke up. And selfishly, I want more Axl Rose music!

I have seen Randy make a bunch of odd (and some cool) threads so I am gonna make one. I once compared Chinese Democracy to Godfather three, so here I go again. What the hell else is going on on a Thursday night? First a little back story I am an old guy, I am 45, and I remember seeing Dawn of the Dead in the theaters I am no johnny come lately to the Zombie motif, and have been a fan long before it became hip. Even wrote a college paper on George Romero and his mocking of American Consumerism. Anywhoo, I have never been a fan of the fast zombies cause it just seemed so impossible to ever actually survive, verbose etc..

And apparently neither did Max Brooks, who wrote one of the best books I have ever read;

200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

Here is his 35 second opinion of the fast moving Zombies.....

So now look at the trailer to the film adapted from the book, which he sold the rights too....

While it seems like it may be a somewhat entertaining film, it is NOT WORLD WAR Z for reasons I do not want to get into to spoil the film. But the most amazing part of the book will not be possible, and the book was written in a documentary style etc. It should NOT BE CALLED WORLD WAR Z!

Well, Max Brooks didn't have to sell the rights to his book to the movie studio who wanted to make them fast zombies. He sold out his vision for $.

Movie adaptations very rarely capture the book. The whole focus of a book can be different. Like the American Psycho movies are great but the the satirical element is glossed over, it just comes across a little different. It's more a problem for obsessed fans who worship the books.

A consolation with Guns for me is that I felt that they had already moved away from the AFD era and line up anyway. And CD seems very close to the next record they would make. Somehow that first line up wasn't meant to last and they would never have made an AFD 2 again. I don't feel like Axl has tarnished that era, in someways them breaking up kind of made it better. If they had released 5 mediocre AFD type albums and a couple of them had died it might not be so glorious but this way. They get to be legends and still live.

To be fair, I think the trailer looks cool on its own.

As an adaptation of the book, though, it looks like shit.

That being said, the book is a collection of short stories more than a real novel and I knew that it was more or less impossible to really do it justice. Didn't really expect the running lemmings horde but yeah...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Call me Slash and GN'R hater whatever you want but Axl is GN'R, if someone is missing that's Izzy. And Chinese Democracy (love it or hate it) is natural succesor to Use Your Illusion albums. Some band stay in one place other evolve, some people like it some people hate it. Take Pearl Jam, if Vedder fired all band members or they left and released some albums after "Ten" ( "VS". "Vitalogy") all fans would be crying it's not PJ it's watered down, it's some Vedder shit etc. But Pearl Jam was all about evolution, so was GN'R Axl and Izzy were masterminds behind majority of hits and they didn't want to repack AFD countless times.

And Axl is sole reason Slash is considered "guitar god" beacuse in public eye he is the guy who played those fanastic epic solos in November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged. Those songs and SCOM (which Slash hated) made him who he is , his riffing and solos on for example is only important to fans, but mainstream audience connects him to Axl's songs, song which he hated but they made him guitar icon like or not.

There is a lie living around that all members had equal input into AFD, I beg to differ. I wish we had exact songwriting credits, beacuse for me majority of GN'R material was written by Izzy and Axl and Axl making more contributions. The only band with equal songwriting credits would be Soundgarden in my book, but GN'R ? Hell No.

Edited by eye2eye

A movie can always be remade.

Adaptation of The Shining was far off of what Stephen King wrote, so he had it remade into a miniseries.

Interview with the Vampire - another adaptation that wound up departing from the story, and I agree on American Psycho.

Some things about this movie:

Brad Pitt never came to Comic Con to promote it this summer. It's worth shutting down what you're doing, flying your ass to San Diego with the preview, and facing the people who are going to spread the word on your film, and go back to what you were doing.

I think he had a pretty good history with sci-fi movies so people weren't worried. I also heard he tried to get the rights to make Jeff Buckley's biopic but Jeff's mom refused, even though she said she was a fan of his acting.

Any time you hear "reshoot", never a good thing. A sign that a lot of money was spent and something went wrong.

Actors who produce and direct that also act - very few can pull that off.

To me, GNR went through more of a "reboot".

Call me Slash and GN'R hater whatever you want but Axl is GN'R, if someone is missing that's Izzy. And Chinese Democracy (love it or hate it) is natural succesor to Use Your Illusion albums. Some band stay in one place other evolve, some people like it some people hate it. Take Pearl Jam, if Vedder fired all band members or they left and released some albums after "Ten" ( "VS". "Vitalogy") all fans would be crying it's not PJ it's watered down, it's some Vedder shit etc. But Pearl Jam was all about evolution, so was GN'R Axl and Izzy were masterminds behind majority of hits and they didn't want to repack AFD countless times.

And Axl is sole reason Slash is considered "guitar god" beacuse in public eye he is the guy who played those fanastic epic solos in November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged. Those songs and SCOM (which Slash hated) made him who he is , his riffing and solos on for example is only important to fans, but mainstream audience connects him to Axl's songs, song which he hated but they made him guitar icon like or not.

There is a lie living around that all members had equal input into AFD, I beg to differ. I wish we had exact songwriting credits, beacuse for me majority of GN'R material was written by Izzy and Axl and Axl making more contributions. The only band with equal songwriting credits would be Soundgarden in my book, but GN'R ? Hell No.

+1 well said my friend

About the movie; I find it interesting he doesn't like fast zombies. Yet according to the wiki page, he said:

When asked about his involvement with the film, Brooks stated that he had "zero control", but favored a role for Brad Pitt, and expressed approval for Straczynski as screenwriter.

In an interview with Fangoria, Brooks said, "I can't give it away, but Straczynski found a way to tie it all together. The last draft I read was amazing".

I wonder how he thought the draft was amazing but didn't mention the dislike for the fast zombies?

Edited by oxocubeingravy

all this nitpicking about fast moving zombies makes me laugh dont people have anything better to do with their time?

the trailer looks awesome and i'm sure the writer sure got a good share and will sell shitloads of copies because of the film.

i dont see what this has to do with gnr?

gnr WAS a band and is NOW a brand, led by the original singer. what's not to understand?

Didn't they make two Spiderman origin movies in a little more than a decade? Couldn't the same happen with this book/movie? What's to stop them from making a "rebooted" version a decade from now?

As someone who is completely ignorant of these kinds of movies/books, I thought the trailer looked awesome. So you're upset that the zombies move faster than they should because in the book they move slowly? Is this really the same as an organization completely changing its ranks and producing a different kind of sound? Not sure if your analogy works here.

So how this pertains to Axl and GNR. I realized as soon as I saw the trailer there would never be another World War Z like the book, and that ship had sailed, since the name was cheapened, or just diluted, and it pissed me off. It was just a title stolen, but it did have an effect on me. So I kind of see a parallel to how the ship has sailed for the original GNR, and I can somewhat see even though this incarnation is a good band, they are not the original band. And the name has somewhat been diluted.

Either someone has hacked Gunzen's account or he got a good knock on the head. Holy shit mate can't beleive I would ever hear you say this based on your rants on the other forum against anyone who critcizes Axl and NuGuns.....All I can say congratulations and it is about time the light bulb went off for you...

Now I have seen everything...first Groghan flips sides and now this........what's next Karl Rove switching sides to the Democrats of brainsaber starting a Slash fan club?