Catcher In The Rye & There Was A Time appreciation thread

Screamin' Demon

Dont really care for Twat without Buckethead and Robin. CITR I prefer much more, but his vocals are so unpredictable these days. No point in performing a great song if you cant do it much justice. I'm interested to see CiTR from Nov 14 and so on

Yes I think he needs to cut back on the dramatic ballad stuff. Not just live but in his songwriting. Can he even write a good, rude rock n roll song anymore?

Edited by Eu4ic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you only like the studio version of the song, right? Because with all the improv that Bucket does I'm totally sure that you wouldn't get a closer version to the studio one with him playing the solo. Ashba does a decent job, he can't fuck up that much an easy solo like that. The solo sounds as good as I can possibly think but that's me.

That being said, Catcher live is a different beast. I like Ron's solos more on this one (because I'm assuming this is how they'd sound if Axl and Caram didn't comp all CD solos) as well as his backing vocals, especially the "na na na" bit - they sound powerful, beautiful and allow Axl to sing the main vocals properly. I love how Ron holds the note after the "It's just another day like todaaaaaaaaaay" while Axl goes for the "when all is said and done" line.

That being said, Catcher live is a different beast. I like Ron's solos more on this one (because I'm assuming this is how they'd sound if Axl and Caram didn't comp all CD solos) as well as his backing vocals, especially the "na na na" bit - they sound powerful, beautiful and allow Axl to sing the main vocals properly. I love how Ron holds the note after the "It's just another day like todaaaaaaaaaay" while Axl goes for the "when all is said and done" line.

Great analysis! I find that the "na na na na na na na" on CITR and "I would do anything for you" on TWAT capture the very soul of the songs. Axl's heart really pours out with conviction in these moments. The backing vocals add fine layering to the songs. The solos give a fine finish to them. All in all these are performed very powerfully and beautifully live and it will be a great day when the loyal fans will be able to attend Gn'R concerts, proudly stating that they can't wait to hear CITR and TWAT, something we could have only hoped for previously. Our wishes had finally been granted.

Edited by Screamin' Demon

Great analysis! I find that the "na na na na na na na" on CITR and "I would do anything for you" on TWAT capture the very soul of the songs. Axl's heart really pours out with conviction in these moments. The backing vocals add fine layering to the songs. The solos give a fine finish to them. All in all these are performed very powerfully and beautifully live and it will be a great day when the loyal fans will be able to attend Gn'R concerts, proudly stating that they can't wait to hear CITR and TWAT, something we could have only hoped for previously. Our wishes had finally been granted.

The setlist would be the perfect setlist as it is with no change. I simply love those songs. I'd love to hear Shackler's again soon but it'll come soon enough. Add to that NR, Estranged, Civil War, Dont Cry, PC, CD, Jungle, YCBM, TIL... man, what a setlist! I couldnt be happier about the setlist, really. All that was missing were TWAT and Catcher, and yes, the parts you mentioned are my favorites. Well, these and both outro solos that show how Bucket and Ron can be brilliant even when they're not shredding. If I knew they'd be playing Catcher and TWAT I SWEAR that I'd be in Vegas by now, but I'm sure I'll get to hear all of these gems sooner than later.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

I can't believe there aren't videos in this thread. From what I've seen/heard, the TWAT performance on the 9th was probably the best over all performance of the song ever, but I've yet to find Catcher from that night to see if it was as good.

always wondered what it would be like if the fans sang the verses of catcher and Axl the chorus and outro.

that would be awesome, and only made better if the whole audience were doing dove hands

Sort of the estranged and rocketqueen of the album.

I always wondered why Madagascar and Sorry were the big favorites of Axl's when Catcher and Twat are the real highlights of the album.

Catcher is probably my overall favorite song off of CD.

I always wondered why Madagascar and Sorry were the big favorites of Axl's when Catcher and Twat are the real highlights of the album.

Everyone's highlights are different. Its a matter of individual taste. Axl actually did regard TWAT as one of his proudest moments on CD during his chats so its not just a matter of something being a favourite or not. Rgardless of how big of a highlight Estranged could be considered for UYI, it wasnt played regularly back then.

I am probably in the minority here but I am a little sick of maddy and street of dreams. I wish they would drop these two and bring back sorry and shackler's. And of course keep Catcher and TWAT, that would be my ideal set list.

I agree with you about Madagascar and SOD. I'd love to see them bring back Shackler's as a regular since its such a beast live and rotate IRS, ITW and Sorry.

Everyone's highlights are different. Its a matter of individual taste. Axl actually did regard TWAT as one of his proudest moments on CD during his chats so its not just a matter of something being a favourite or not. Rgardless of how big of a highlight Estranged could be considered for UYI, it wasnt played regularly back then.

I am probably in the minority here but I am a little sick of maddy and street of dreams. I wish they would drop these two and bring back sorry and shackler's. And of course keep Catcher and TWAT, that would be my ideal set list.

I agree with you about Madagascar and SOD. I'd love to see them bring back Shackler's as a regular since its such a beast live and rotate IRS, ITW and Sorry.

So Twat and estranged are both songs with special meaning to Axl.....as well as songs that Axl doesn't play that often live. Until recently. I guess they are similar.

But Catcher has a more estranged mental state. And TWAT is about a fucked up chick. But Prostitute could be like Rocket Queen for the 21st Century. This I Love is a pocket sized Nov Rain. Sorry is Don't Cry meets Pink Floyd. Shackler's is Double Talkin' Locomotive. Better is like Head Like a Hole meets Sweet Child O Mine.