Can You Really Notice the Difference with GNR Having 3 Guitarist?

ChristmasFnatic

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well three is always better than 2 right....but it only produced one album....that is not better then their past albums....

well that doesn't really have anything to do with it, and on CD there's even 5 (or more) guitar players playing and alot different people made the music and not just three of the guitar players. And on the old albums Slash layered his guitar tracks and often played 2 different guitar parts at the same time. But they just had two guitar players in their band so he couldn't recreate all the guitar parts live.

Doesn't really matter... There are bands with ONE guitarist who have an amazing guitar sound, as Bon Jovi.

These Days, for example, has amazing riffs and solos, and only Sambora is holding it during the whole album.

If we are talking about a live setting, Jon plays guitar on a few songs, not to mention they have a touring guitarist. One guitar will never sound right unless it's a very simple song. The song will sound empty at times and will sound retardedwhen there's a solo. That being said I like three guitars the most.

Jon plays guitar on just a few songs, and Bob Bandera only joined the band as a touring guitarist on 2005. For more than 20 years Bon Jovi toured worlwide only with Sambora and sometimes Jon on the guitars.

One guitar will never sound right unless it's a very simple song. The song will sound empty at times and will sound retardedwhen there's a solo.

....what about Pantera, Dream Theatre, Ozzy Osbounes band (all different line-ups), Queen, Nirvana, Muse, The Who and the heaviest band of all time Black Sabbath? they all sound good with just one guitarist (bad or not is a different thing).

I agree that it usually sounds better with two or more guitarists but not always.

One guitar will never sound right unless it's a very simple song. The song will sound empty at times and will sound retardedwhen there's a solo.

....what about Pantera, Dream Theatre, Ozzy Osbounes band (all different line-ups), Queen, Nirvana, Muse, The Who and the heaviest band of all time Black Sabbath? they all sound good with just one guitarist (bad or not is a different thing).

I agree that it usually sounds better with two or more guitarists but not always.

The songs those bands are playing WILL sound empty at times and whenever there's a solo there will be no aggressiveness. I never said it doesnt work, you guys simply did not understand what I said. Unless, of course, the guitarist decides to play rhythm and lead at once when he's soloing it will not sound right.

Do you guys remember when Ron played the Dont Cry solo instead of Ashba? He played rhythm and lead at the same time so the song wouldnt sound... guess what? Empty. You hear when Ashba does some licks instead of the thythm on Patience (The 'just a little patience' bit) the whole rhythm sounds empty until he's done with the licks? That's what Im talking about.

I can tell a huge difference. Even in relatively simple songs like 'Jungle', listen to a current live version, against say the Live Era version, and the difference in guitars is astronomical. The three guitar wall is immensely powerful, and fills so many of the holes that, to me, was super noticeable before...

It makes sense since on the old albums as well as Chinese Democracy that the guitar parts were multitracked. I wouldn't be surprised if Pitman plays additional tracks that the three are unable to do. It is also one of the reasons Ron is using a double neck fretted/fretless guitar since the fretless neck can act as a slide guitar since Slash and Izzy both like to add slide guitar tracks.

Don't froget Led Zeppelin, Cream and Jimi Hendrix! Usually they have to sacrifce some parts in order to play the main parts or improvise and they sounded great enough for fans to forgive. I think in most cases they have a back up guitarist back stage playing the rythmn parts.

The songs those bands are playing WILL sound empty at times and whenever there's a solo there will be no aggressiveness. I never said it doesnt work, you guys simply did not understand what I said. Unless, of course, the guitarist decides to play rhythm and lead at once when he's soloing it will not sound right.

Do you guys remember when Ron played the Dont Cry solo instead of Ashba? He played rhythm and lead at the same time so the song wouldnt sound... guess what? Empty. You hear when Ashba does some licks instead of the thythm on Patience (The 'just a little patience' bit) the whole rhythm sounds empty until he's done with the licks? That's what Im talking about.

I understand what you're talking about but I don't completely agree with you :P I think that the solo in Walk is great and the bass is the only thing that needs to keep the flow going. And Matts solo parts in Muse (mostly live, but they also have massive keyboards).

Yes, I get it. In some cases the keyboard does the job of the missing guitar, but in some cases like Patience the song doesnt sound right for, un, 10 seconds...lol. When I heard Chickenfoot I was in awe when Satch played some of his licks and solos, but the song lost all the power when he did them, I even felt uncomfortable at times because the others couldnt make up for the loss of Satch's rhythm. In studio there's not such flaws so that's why I like two guitarists better. The songs dont suck live, but they lack something and I dont like that. Yes, maynard, that happens in Zep too.

Well it depends. Like in Walk it's still awesome when the solo kicks in and there is no other guitar. I even think that it can sound awesome in many songs where there is just bass keeping the flow and a guitar solo over it. But in Guns I like when they have 3 guitars but it would be better if they didn't have DJ. I know Robin played alot of wrong notes but at least he had a style, would be awesome if he would be in the band again and that he only plays his own solos and his amazing rhythms and that Ron and Fortus plays the rest of the solos.... but mostly Ron :P

Well it depends. Like in Walk it's still awesome when the solo kicks in and there is no other guitar. I even think that it can sound awesome in many songs where there is just bass keeping the flow and a guitar solo over it. But in Guns I like when they have 3 guitars but it would be better if they didn't have DJ. I know Robin played alot of wrong notes but at least he had a style, would be awesome if he would be in the band again and that he only plays his own solos and his amazing rhythms and that Ron and Fortus plays the rest of the solos.... but mostly Ron :P

Yes, I agree, but I would be happy if Dj managed to do his job properly instead of another member leaving...that would suck.

Agreed, definitely. Though Queen used a touring guitarist in 1986 (on a few songs) and on the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour.

Led Zeppelin, too. Not a fan of Zep, but can't leave them out.

3 guitar players is definitely too much and frustrating also for the players themselves. It's also confusing for the casual 'fan' to relate to who's who.

But then again in Axl's megalomaniac vision it's everythig by the double, lead guitar players, keyboard players(!) and even wanted 2 drummer's (WTF!?). It's really sad since GnR used to work so good with the original AFD lineup - great and raw sounding.

i seriously still have no idea of what's the point of having a guy like dj ashba on a band. i thought axl wanted to go all artistical. dj is the comple opposite of that. he's a terrible guitar player and is able to write simple songs and soloes. and dresses like an emo clown. geez...

When I saw them both times I could not make out which guitar player was playing what - it was this muddied wall of guitars. So in terms of the guitar parts of the old songs, I didn't get that same feeling as I do with the 2 guitars working off of each other

Sure there sometimes were 3 guitar parts in the studio recordings but they aren't playing all at the same time, a lot of times the third guitar is simply just a track containing solos and lead fills. So when applied to performing those tunes live, when you have 3 guitarists chugging along the sound melts together and doesn't have that same guitar interplay that the old tunes distinctly had

Edited by WhazUp