The "rasp"

Carburetta

There is rasp on every song and every album, not sure who could think that there isn't. That's what made Axl's voice so unique. He definately sounds a little cleaner on record, and much more rasp in live, not sure why. His voice has definately weakened in the last few years. I think he's still very capable, but chooses to not hurt his voice. I'd like to see him back as he was in 2010, but all the concerts I've seen recently have still been great experiences.

The rasp is what makes Axl. I love a combination of rasp and no rasp on Street of Dreams.

Exactly.

That song has been butchered lately live with almost no rasp which is a shame. I can only recall of a 'decent' rendition of the song in 2012 and it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBndJEGev8

Decent? That's my favorite performance of that song to date.

Obvious troll thread (which should have been obvious when Volcano concurred with the OP).

I find it funny how everyone refers to it as "rasp" as I always thought it wasn't just a vocal distortion but more of a tonal difference that you don't hear from Axl much anymore. If you listen to the live rendition of Yesterdays posted in the previous page, you can hear a clear tonal distinction between his voice then and his voice now. There was more of a twangy, screechy, nasal sound back in the glory days than he exhibits now.

Edited by downzy

I find it funny how everyone refers to it as "rasp" as always thought it wasn't just a vocal distortion but more of a tonal difference that you don't hear from Axl much anymore. If you listen to the live rendition of Yesterdays posted in the previous page, you can hear a clear tonal distinction between his voice then and his voice now. There was more of a twangy, screechy, nasal sound back in the glory days than he exhibits now.

Exactly. This is also what is different about his voice. Actually, when looking back at ild concerts, I was surprised that he was using less rasp than I had remembered.

Not really on topic, but wow, what after watching the Street of Dreams video and then watching Yesterdays on this page really underscores why few latched onto Chinese Democracy.

Street of Dreams < 5th or 6th single off UYI discs.

Yes, there are two "rasps": The first was that 1989 VMAs with Tom Petty kinda rasp. That's classic Axl. It's all over AFD and UYI. The downside is that it also led to performances like the Indiana one. See Rocket Queen there.

Then there's the other rasp which came out in '06 and is best characterized in 2010. So, there's two rasps. '10 is far superior, imo.

And yea, SOD is a pretty boring song. "Better" needs to go back to 1999 (and can take me with it).

Edited by Eu4ic