Guns N' Roses in Tokyo Dec 18

bionic56

Without Tommy?

Guns N' Roses ‏@gunsnroses

Come in TOKYO! http://bit.ly/USgvsk Yep we're looking at you! except for maybe @Tommy_Stinson wink.gif LIVE 18Dec @ ZeppTokyo pic.twitter.com/5hKfznZU

No, I believe that was a reference to the fact he is looking away on the picture.

Haha. I see...

I see then venue refers to the gig as a "special show" on their webpage. An ordinary GN'R show might be special to that particular venue. When Jarmo then calls it a "special show", he might just be quoting the venue webpage. We should be very cautious about expecting anything out of the ordinary.

I guess youre right...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "special" in the sense that it's the only date in Japan, meaning the band is making a special trip for one performance only. It's even more special in the sense that it's at the Zepp, which is an insanely small venue for a band of GNR's size. That just doesn't happen often in Japan...last time it was the Tokyo Dome which is enormous. Despite the sickening cost, these tickets will sell out in minutes.

If you're reading any more into it than that, thinking there's gonna be new songs...well....you should know better by now!

Fuck, I wanna go. I suppose I can try to get a ticket, but chances are I'll get shut out, and if I DO get one...I'm out $200-300!!

Yeah good for them, but neat end to where it started 3 years ago, time for studio now.

Yeah, I agree. GNR have been touring for years now. I understand Axl wanting to perform songs from CD and I think he's succeeded, but yeah, I think Axl and the band need to write and get back into the studio. I think it would be good for them and for us fans who know Axl has more amazing songs to write. I think this band is the one to do it with.

I don't want GNR to become like Poison. Unless, Axl is saving new music for a solo career like Bret Michaels, then I agree it's time to begin writing and recording new music. Take the usual 2 years or so and get on with it.

It's "special" in the sense that it's the only date in Japan, meaning the band is making a special trip for one performance only. It's even more special in the sense that it's at the Zepp, which is an insanely small venue for a band of GNR's size. That just doesn't happen often in Japan...last time it was the Tokyo Dome which is enormous. Despite the sickening cost, these tickets will sell out in minutes.

If you're reading any more into it than that, thinking there's gonna be new songs...well....you should know better by now!

Fuck, I wanna go. I suppose I can try to get a ticket, but chances are I'll get shut out, and if I DO get one...I'm out $200-300!!

According to Fernando, it's special 'cause it's a club show in Tokyo. That's it.

According to Fernando, it's special 'cause it's a club show in Tokyo. That's it.

Damn, no flying piano, then :(

I can't help thinking that it's a bit weird for them to go all the way to Japan to perform in front of such a small crowd. How could they earn any money doing that?!

Could there be more to this than just a regular concert?

Nope. It's just that they would sell out arenas in japan easily but they're doing a club show instead. http://instagram.com/p/SW0z8IwkVu/

The Zepp is owned by Sony Entertainment Group, so who knows what the arrangements are. It seems Big Japanese bands play there, and then the most exclusive of world artists play there: Ringo Starr, The Who, Paul McCartney, David Gilmour, Peter Gabriel, etc. Typically it is just there only stop in Tokyo, so I would imagine tickets are sold to club members, Sony execs (possibly eying concert--the more profitable part of the biz now--or record deals with these artists), and the elites who can afford $500 tickets. Whoever said $300 tickets is on the money--my bet is they will be upwards of $500-$1000 in Tokyo, considering the exclusive venue. Each large city in Japan has a Zepp theater, and they are all exclusive, incredible venues. This is an honor for GnR to be invited to play there.

FYI, speaking of honor, I watched the David Geffen American Masters documentary on PBS last week, and they had a section regarding his brilliant record business, and how he built it from the ground up by finding the right talent on his own and backing the bands personally. He told the story, or Tom Zutat did, of how David Geffen personally called MTV to get Jungle played at 4 a.m., and MTV's call-in boards lit-up and jammed. I wonder what Axl's relationship with David Geffen is like now? He is the kind of cat who could give the band phenomenal wisdom in the lead-up to a new album. Also, while I believe he had nothing to do with the booking of this show, he is the kind of person who would be able to land the band a gig at a place like this. Very prestigious one-off show! Would be a great place to film--hopefully that is the plan!

It's a great venue to be sure...I can only speak for the Tokyo location, as I have not been to the others, but it's not quite as exclusive as all that.

I've seen 311 there and also Beck.

It's a bit of a hike from the main part of the city. It's on Tokyo Bay, in a section called Odaiba.

I'm doing everything I can to get a ticket to this show....I will be depressed as hell if I miss out.

Th tour will go well into 2013, perhaps into the first part of 2014. As Axl has stated, they're going to work on promoting the album

and it's paid off quite well. Some might laugh, but there still might be success of a track on the album that

could be released commercially. With that, combined with a possible re-release, this album could develop some interesting legs

long after everyone had written it off.

Really?

Promoting the four year old album has gone quite well?

They were the 70th highest grossing tour in 2011. Can you buy the album in stores? When is the last time the album cracked the top 100?

And a re-release is gonna help a current song blow up? How so? You think a 2013 video and single release of a then five year old song is gonna explode?

CD is one of my ten favorite albums of all time. But for whatever reason, the general public didn't go crazy for it. Their loss. Now is the time to try again with new music, and not keep promoting old songs.

Th tour will go well into 2013, perhaps into the first part of 2014. As Axl has stated, they're going to work on promoting the album

and it's paid off quite well. Some might laugh, but there still might be success of a track on the album that

could be released commercially. With that, combined with a possible re-release, this album could develop some interesting legs

long after everyone had written it off.

Really?

Promoting the four year old album has gone quite well?

They were the 70th highest grossing tour in 2011. Can you buy the album in stores? When is the last time the album cracked the top 100?

And a re-release is gonna help a current song blow up? How so? You think a 2013 video and single release of a then five year old song is gonna explode?

CD is one of my ten favorite albums of all time. But for whatever reason, the general public didn't go crazy for it. Their loss. Now is the time to try again with new music, and not keep promoting old songs.

perhaps best buy had a window of time to have it for their exclusive and soon that will be over? since it's already made axl could re release it and make some money off it instead of just breaking even by selling thru best buy? just speculating

in a section called Odaiba.

Odaiba sounds familiar. Isn't that where the kids in Digimon were from? :P

I'd like to think there was some significance to this gig other than being a random club stop in Japan, but I won't get my hopes it. If they can't tour and record at once, they should just record and then tour. I don't understand what's so difficult about that concept.

If they can't tour and record at once, they should just record and then tour. I don't understand what's so difficult about that concept.

Or tour and then record, which is probably what they are doing now ;)

Your boy MSL says they already have recorded the cd follow up album.

Why sit on it for a couple more years?

If they can't tour and record at once, they should just record and then tour. I don't understand what's so difficult about that concept.

Or tour and then record, which is probably what they are doing now ;)

Your boy MSL says they already have recorded the cd follow up album.

Why sit on it for a couple more years?

How is MSL "my boy"? I tend to believe band members when they state that they don't have a ready follow-up:

Tommy in May 2011: I think the next thing is really going to have to be someone trying to organize a record and getting it together. I think there's a really good band there to do it.

Dizzy in November 2011: There's a lot we've recorded, a lot of material back when we started working on 'Chinese Democracy,' so there's a quite a bit of unreleased stuff that would be really cool to finish and put out.

Tommy in December 2011: There are songs left over from the "Chinese Democracy" sessions that are almost ready to go and could be polished up for potential release.

Sure, this was back in 2011 but recent quotes from the band (pre-Las Vegas) tells us they spent much time in the studio to "polish up" those songs. Besides, MSL made that statement a long time ago, before the quotes above.

I believe this is a case of fans hearing what the want to hear and rejecting what the don't want to hear resulting in the bizarre situation where a guy like MSL is given more credibility than the band itself.

I attempted to purchase a ticket at the on-sale time of 10:00am Saturday and was told "SOLD OUT". Meanwhile, I had seen tickets offered on Japanese auction sites the night prior, so it seems the VIPS, Sony-connected and ticket brokers scarfed them all up in advance of the on sale.

It's bad enough the tickets are priced so high ($200-$325), now I'll have to deal with the hassle of an auction site. As much as I'd like to attend

it doesn't look good for me at the moment.

Edited by SteveAJones