Dr. Phil/Demos

Creepshow2

Hi Marc, there was a rerun of Dr. Phil today from a few years ago and his wife accompanied two women to Canter's Deli. Were you there for the taping? Was that one of your relatives who came out and served them?

Also, regarding the history of GN'Rs demo sessions, could you please confirm a few things? I'm trying to piece together which ones leaked that are in circulation and which ones never saw the light of day. I'm not sure if there are any sessions missing from this list. I'm trying to get a complete list of every demo recorded by them between 1985 and 1994. I know the Use Your Illusions are not included in this list but for now, I just need to get the early stuff.

1st Session

August 1985

Producer: ???

Welcome To The Jungle

Anything Goes

Don’t Cry

Back Off Bitch

Heartbreak Hotel (not included on tape)

Sound City

May-June 1986

Producer: Manny Charlton

Out Ta Get Me

Rocket Queen (take 1)

Rocket Queen (take 2)

Nightrain

My Michelle

You’re Crazy

Paradise City

Move To The City (take 1)

Move To The City (take 2)

November Rain (acoustic)

November Rain (piano)

Shadow Of Your Love

Reckless Life

Think About You

Welcome To The Jungle

Don’t Cry

Nice Boys (take 3)

Back Off Bitch

Anything Goes

Mama Kin

Heartbreak Hotel (take 2)

Ain’t Goin’ Down (instrumental) ????????

Jumpin’ Jack Flash (take 2)

Jumpin’ Jack Flash (acoustic)

Move To The City (acoustic)

Untitled song in progress

You’re Crazy (acoustic)

The Plague

Cornshucker Stomp

Pasha Studios

August-September 1986

Producer: Spender Proffer

Sweet Child O’ Mine

Nightrain

Reckless Life

Nice Boys

Move To The City

Mama Kin

Rumbo Studios, Take One Studio & Can Am Studio

Fall 1986

Producer: Mike Clink

Anything Goes

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

My Michelle

Nightrain

Out Ta Get Me

Paradise City

Rocket Queen

Sweet Child O’ Mine

Think About You

Welcome To The Jungle

You’re Crazy

Rumbo Studios

???? 1988

Producer: ???

Patience

One In A Million

You’re Crazy

Used To Love Her

Cornshucker

Is this information accurate with the song listings? Anything you can add would be greatly appreciated.

Did Dr. Phil record any demos with GN'R or any of the members separately? Was he hard to deal with while recording?

Thanks.

The Pasha one is wrong.

Spencer did SCOM and Nightrain and thats it

The other songs were done in the same studio but produced by the band. The deal was they paid 15k for the 2 songs but got to use the studio to do Live Like a suicide

songs recorded were

Jumpin Jack

Your Crazy

Reckless

Heartbreak Hotel

Shadow of Your Love

Jungle

Move to the City

Mama Kin

Nice Boys

Brownstone

Don't cry

Too bad they never did anything with Heartbreak Hotel. It was always such a up lifting song in their set.

I don't know that much about the demos after Pasha

I do remember them doing that Dr phil show at Canter's It was a while ago but I don't remember who waited on them

Edited by recklessroad

The Pasha one is wrong.

The other songs were done in the same studio but produced by the band. The deal was they paid 15k for the 2 songs but got to use the studio to do Live Like a suicide

songs recorded were

Jumpin Jack

Your Crazy

Reckless

Heartbreak Hotel

Shadow of Your Love

Jungle

Move to the City

Mama Kin

Nice Boys

Brownstone

Don't cry

Too bad they never did anything with Heartbreak Hotel. It was always such a up lifting song in their set.

I do remember them doing that Dr phil show at Canter's It was a while ago but I don't remember who waited on them

Hey marc, did you know that they put out one of the demos of Hartbreak hotel on the vinyl version of the Hollywood rocks! compilation?

The Pasha one is wrong.

songs recorded were

Jumpin Jack

Your Crazy

Reckless

Heartbreak Hotel

Shadow of Your Love

Jungle

Move to the City

Mama Kin

Nice Boys

Brownstone

Don't cry

Hey marc, did you know that they put out one of the demos of Hartbreak hotel on the vinyl version of the Hollywood rocks! compilation?

That was from Sound City

When did Clink come on-board then? Jarmo's site has this session:

July 1986?

Song recorded: Shadow Of Your Love [unreleased?]

The band tries out Mike Clink. After this session he's hired to produce the album.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html

Edited by DieselDaisy

The sleeve of the Live and Let Die single carries the same credit as Live Like A Suicide (''Produced by GN'R, mixed by Hanspetter Heuber and Alan Niven''). It would therefore be a safe bet to presume that this was the version recorded at Pasha. According to Slash's autobiography (p.166) it is the alternative version of Shadow of Your Love which was done when GN'R were auditioning Clink, the faux live version from the It's So Easy single (uk) and Live From The Jungle EP (Japan). I unfortunately do not have the sleeve for either of them (I just have a dub of the EP) so I do not know if Clink is credited.

thanks for info,

may i ask smth. about the Sound City demos: "take 1", "take 2"......are those the final cuts which made it on demo tapes? and do the other takes still exist or were deleted right away?

They are all on the demo

When did Clink come on-board then? Jarmo's site has this session:

July 1986?

Song recorded: Shadow Of Your Love [unreleased?]

The band tries out Mike Clink. After this session he's hired to produce the album.

http://www.heretoday...ngsessions.html

Clink didn't come on till sometime Sept or Oct

The sleeve of the Live and Let Die single carries the same credit as Live Like A Suicide (''Produced by GN'R, mixed by Hanspetter Heuber and Alan Niven''). It would therefore be a safe bet to presume that this was the version recorded at Pasha. According to Slash's autobiography (p.166) it is the alternative version of Shadow of Your Love which was done when GN'R were auditioning Clink, the faux live version from the It's So Easy single (uk) and Live From The Jungle EP (Japan). I unfortunately do not have the sleeve for either of them (I just have a dub of the EP) so I do not know if Clink is credited.

Its the Pasha one. Even I never heard the Clink one which has to be killer.

Edited by recklessroad

Why were they re-recording Shadow of Your Love with Mike Clink then? Were they thinking of perhaps putting it on appetite?

To see how Mike would do on it. It was a test. I also think maybe they were thinking about it being on the record

Edited by recklessroad

The demo that runs 5:19 just has Axl singing and no "Ooooooh"s in the chorus but the one that runs 4:42 (the one included on the 33" single with the holograph cover) does have the backing vocals. Which sessions are they from? Is there any chance the one that runs 5:19 is from their first session from 1985?

• 2 weeks later...

next to the 2x UYI versions there are 3 circulating different "Don't Cry" demos:

1) "Don't Cry" / B-side version (4:40) - this is sourced from the very first(!!) GN'R demo from August-September 1985!

it can be verified:

this has the Axl talking/whispering during the Slash solo and also backing vocals ("Uuhuus" in the chorus). as this is an official release this has the best sound quality from all the 3 demos:

2) "Don't Cry" / Sound City (Manny Charlton) version (~5:19) - recorded June 05, 1986. That one can be found on many bootlegs ("Session" 2CD for example).

it can be verified:

this doesnt have backing vocals (no "Uuhuus" in the chorus) and no Axl talking during Slash's solo. compared to the other 2 versions this has some very loud Slash guitar feedback in the beginning (around 0:10) and also at the end of his solo (around 3:26). Axl doesnt whisper anything before the 1st verse verse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1z8ooBQOIU

3) "Don't Cry" / Pasha Studios version (~5:19) - recorded August-September 1986.

it can be verified:

this doesnt have backing vocals (no "Uuhuus" in the chorus) and no Axl talking during Slash's solo. Slash's counting in with his guitar 2 times. Axl whispers "taaahhh" before the 1st verse. in the end of the song during the very last "dont you cry toniiiiiiiiiiiiiieieieiei-yeeeahhh-ight" Axl sings with the yeeeahhh-ight - part with his deeper voice. That is to be found on "Metal Petals" bootleg, couldnt find it on youtube right now though.

hope this helps!

• Like 1

yes, both versions came out 2009 and not before.

that "Heartbreak Hotel" version (4:12) came out on a 3lp collection called "Hollywood Rocks". thats a different version from what is circulating. Axl whispers "since my baby left me" in the beginning before Steven counts in 4x times with his drumsticks.

that "Nice Boys" version (2:42) is from a 2CD compilation called "American '80s Hair Metal" and is also different that from what is circulating. its a very fast version, so fast that Axl has trouble to stay in proper timing with his lyrics to the music (exspecially to be heard @1:04-1:08).

Marc, do you know more about those 2 versions?

next to the 2x UYI versions there are 3 circulating different "Don't Cry" demos:

1) "Don't Cry" / B-side version (4:40) - this is sourced from the very first(!!) GN'R demo from August-September 1985!

it can be verified:

this has the Axl talking/whispering during the Slash solo and also backing vocals ("Uuhuus" in the chorus). as this is an official release this has the best sound quality from all the 3 demos:

2) "Don't Cry" / Sound City (Manny Charlton) version (~5:19) - recorded June 05, 1986. That one can be found on many bootlegs ("Session" 2CD for example).

it can be verified:

this doesnt have backing vocals (no "Uuhuus" in the chorus) and no Axl talking during Slash's solo. compared to the other 2 versions this has some very loud Slash guitar feedback in the beginning (around 0:10) and also at the end of his solo (around 3:26). Axl doesnt whisper anything before the 1st verse verse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1z8ooBQOIU

3) "Don't Cry" / Pasha Studios version (~5:19) - recorded August-September 1986.

it can be verified:

this doesnt have backing vocals (no "Uuhuus" in the chorus) and no Axl talking during Slash's solo. Slash's counting in with his guitar 2 times. Axl whispers "taaahhh" before the 1st verse. in the end of the song during the very last "dont you cry toniiiiiiiiiiiiiieieieiei-yeeeahhh-ight" Axl sings with the yeeeahhh-ight - part with his deeper voice. That is to be found on "Metal Petals" bootleg, couldnt find it on youtube right now though.

hope this helps!

Thanks for this.

yes, both versions came out 2009 and not before.

that "Heartbreak Hotel" version (4:12) came out on a 3lp collection called "Hollywood Rocks". thats a different version from what is circulating. Axl whispers "since my baby left me" in the beginning before Steven counts in 4x times with his drumsticks.

that "Nice Boys" version (2:42) is from a 2CD compilation called "American '80s Hair Metal" and is also different that from what is circulating. its a very fast version, so fast that Axl has trouble to stay in proper timing with his lyrics to the music (exspecially to be heard @1:04-1:08).

Marc, do you know more about those 2 versions?

Yep - these are the two that I was talking about.