Vegas residency roundup

username

Vegas residency  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right, not that all shows are over, how do you look back at the Vegas residency?

As for me, it was better than I expected. In fact the shows seemed really awesome on almost every front. The shows were really long, the setlists were great. Steady songs, rare songs, exciting covers, Izzy, 14 Years. Great stuff! The production seemed amazing too. I'm not a fan of dancers, ever. But at least it's something fresh. Then there was the piano thing, stage props etc. I think these shows were about as good as a GnR show can be with this band and this material.

Which brings me to my only con, the lack of new songs, announcements and general progress as a band. I really wanted them to kick it in high gear straight into a new chapter of Guns n' Roses. It wasn't a serious expectation, but maybe kind of a secret hope. Like I said, this is about as good as a show with this band and this material can be. But they can't keep doing it forever without becoming a real nostalgia act. And this band is too good for that.

So yeah, above expectation but still sort of frustrating for me.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a guy watching from the forums in the uk, I feel the residency was a resounding success. It's been great to see the fans and indeed the band just havin a great fuckin time!

Highlights for me, having catcher and twat a few times (even tho I'm gutted they didn't play twat in brum last may / my favourite Chinese song).

I had a crazy, brief idea that guns *might* play a new song OR mention something onstage about a new studio release but alas, not meant to be.

(",)

Edit; I did have a strange dream the other night where guns announced the next album title as "Eden"!

Edited by gavgnr

As for me, it was better than I expected. In fact the shows seemed really awesome on almost every front. The shows were really long, the setlists were great. Steady songs, rare songs, exciting covers, Izzy, 14 Years. Great stuff! The production seemed amazing too. I'm not a fan of dancers, ever. But at least it's something fresh. Then there was the piano thing, stage props etc. I think these shows were about as good as a GnR show can be with this band and this material.

I think everybody will have a different opinion based on their own personal experiences. I wouldn't trade the Hartford show I went to last year for any of the Vegas shows, it had a great opener in Baz and then GNR played 35 songs including Out Ta Get Me and Nice Boys (neither has been performed since). After that I was really happy with the Worcester show where TPR opened and GNR performed Scraped for the first time in the states, and they haven't done that song since.

The most disappointing aspect of the Vegas residency was the lack of special guests. It was great that Izzy joined them for two shows, but nobody else? I honestly didn't expect them to do any new material, but I did expect more guests.

Same boring setlist. Predictably predictable.

Same setlist as...when? The Seeker was debuted for these shows, Don't Let It Bring You Down had only been played at the charity gigs preceding the residency. Catcher and TWAT had only been played very rarely (8 times in total) since 2009) but were played a lot during the residency. The average set length was 24 songs, the longest ever. So when exactly have you come across these setlists before?

Two covers! I would die happy if I never heard another gnr cover again. I will give you TWAT and Catcher but these songs are still ten years old. Time to stop touring.

I would like them to stop touring, too, if that meant they would work on the next record (which is not given). But back to your original statement, with an average of 24 songs played in 2012 almost every setlist has actually been unique, and if you look at the whole picture, songs have come and gone causing the setlists to gradually change and twist as the year went by. It might not be enough changes to satisfy us hardcore fans who wants to be exposed to as many songs as possible, but for the most audiences, the setlists have been great.

I expected a little more. We got Catcher, UTLH, and TWAT, which was great. We got Izzy, which was great, but that's about it. They said "Every show would be different", but in reality, they were the same except for 2 or 3 changes. I atleast expected OMG and one other rare CD song to be played. Hopefully when they start up the next round of endless touring, we'll here something new.

Residency has to be considered a success.

Will be interesting to see if fhe band can move forward now. Start round two. Progress the band, stand on their own feet instead of living off the past. I'm positive they can......hopefully Axl, Beta and Fernando agree.

No huge surprises really, but still a good time. I was so glad they played TWAT!

Did anyone else have the opportunity to meet with Axl backstage? Or am I the only one?

Several people met Axl (not sure how many met him backstage though). I find it interesting that you'd 'bother' to spend money going to Vegas to see them.

Residency has to be considered a success.

Will be interesting to see if fhe band can move forward now. Start round two. Progress the band, stand on their own feet instead of living off the past. I'm positive they can......hopefully Axl, Beta and Fernando agree.

About that... Seems like there are more shows popping up again all over the world. Even if they haven't played anything new or announced anything I still kind of hoped that the Vegas shows would be the ending the current era with a bang and then moving on. But they just seem to... go on doing what they've done for years now. It kind of pisses me off.

Several people met Axl (not sure how many met him backstage though). I find it interesting that you'd 'bother' to spend money going to Vegas to see them.

You find it "interesting" that I'd go and see a band that I've been following for the past 25 years? Umm ..ok. *shrugs*

010.jpg