Best Elton John song ever:

Vincent Vega

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What dead blonde was that after then? Shame all the shit

Came out about Jimmy Saville after he died he coulda made a few quid on him :lol:

It was a song bout Dazey's mum.

You realize Candle in the Wind was a hit in the 70s long before the Princess Di version?

Edited by luciusfunk

Guest Len B'stard

Came out about Jimmy Saville after he died he coulda made a few quid on him :lol:

You realize Candle in the Wind was a hit in the 70s long before the Princess Di version?

Yeah and it was about a different dead blonde then, which was what my point was centred around.

Len, you're so funny. :lol: Arguing Elton is shit because he hasn't had a hit, yet stanning for punk bands. :heart:

I wasn't arguing he was shit because he hasn't had a hit, he's shit cuz he's shit, the haven't had a hit bit was just me taking the piss out of him :lol: If i was to outline why he was shit that'd be different, thats cuz he's just boring. Middle of the road, plain, safe...and i don't care much for the bloke either, not that that has anything to do with his music but he just seems like a fat baldie with an over-inflated sense of his own importance who has got to a point where like, he's famous more for being a twat than any kind of songwriting, them days are fuckin' long gone and they weren't up to much when they were about.

"me and suuuuzy had so much funnn" *click-click, BOOM!* And that godawful song with RuPaul, ugh, i can feel my breakfast coming back up..

I wasn't arguing he was shit because he hasn't had a hit, he's shit cuz he's shit, the haven't had a hit bit was just me taking the piss out of him :lol: If i was to outline why he was shit that'd be different, thats cuz he's just boring. Middle of the road, plain, safe...and i don't care much for the bloke either, not that that has anything to do with his music but he just seems like a fat baldie with an over-inflated sense of his own importance who has got to a point where like, he's famous more for being a twat than any kind of songwriting, them days are fuckin' long gone and they weren't up to much when they were about.

"me and suuuuzy had so much funnn" *click-click, BOOM!* And that godawful song with RuPaul, ugh, i can feel my breakfast coming back up..

I'd hardly call Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding "boring" and "safe."

Yeah and it was about a different dead blonde then, which was what my point was centred around.

Len, you're so funny. :lol: Arguing Elton is shit because he hasn't had a hit, yet stanning for punk bands. :heart:

What happens when you mix Elton John and punk rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUmSm2rLbks

Guest Len B'stard

He'd better hope another famous blonde dies soon, the bastard ain't had a hit since Diana fell off the perch :lol:

Quit stealing Keef's material.

Oh thats the fucking best one, someone get this boy a medal, or a goldfish or something. Keef?!?! What, as in Richards? :lol: Two words mate, Chuck fuckin' Berry. Keefs matierial my smelly arse :lol: Keef ain't got no fuckin' matierial, the old cunt. Yes, the punk community thought Keef was just wonderful :lol: I like that, "Keef", you ain't a Keef, you're a Keith, a Keith from Richmond. The mean streets of Richmond Upon Thames :lol: Walking around trying to talk like an American person "we played with a lot of salty cats back in 63 baby!", how exactly do you reconcile that with like, Church fetes and fuckin' jumble sales in Richmond and school trips to go sing for her majesty?!?! "yeah, uh, i see that as the moment i went bad, when i was thrown out of the choir cuz my balls dropped!" :lol:

Yes, the punk world was just in loooove with Keith Richards, i mean why wouldn't they be, he wrote Johnny B Goode, didn't he? Good ol' working class "Keef" from uh...Richmond Upon Thames, yes. And his friend Michael from the London School of Economics. Pirates, thats what they are, Vampire Pirates...dangerous, thats what they are, from the soles of their feet to the saggy old man skin stretched across their grey haired pigeon chests, rock n roll is back in town, for £1000 a throw.

I tend to think that Elton John is incredibly overrated. I do believe he has some good songs, but not many and they were all written a loooooooong time ago. He's just not relevant anymore yet everyone goes on and on about the 'genius' he is. Just cuz he's still around banging away at that piano doesn't make him talented anymore, let alone a genius. Compare him to John Lennon (Sorry Len, I know I shouldn't even mutter those words) and it puts it into perspective. John Lennon wrote music that evolved right up to the time he died and he influenced other musicians throughout the body of his work.

Since the 80s Elton's music has been passe and out of touch. It happens a lot to creative people - something with the need to create which dies or they lose touch with the mood of the times and they are no longer relevant. The fashion designer Yves St Laurent did the same thing. Throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s he was the king of fashion. Untouchable. Amazing. Then he got old and times changed but he kept going. It was a shame because the work he did in the 90s was just a shadow of what he achieved for over 30 years. You gotta know when to stop and Elton John should have stopped long ago.

Guest Len B'stard

And I suppose it's ok for the Stones to keep making crap music and touring? You wanna talk about overrated?

Suck on Len's dick some more.

It's just music man, you're a total stranger to those people just like you are a total stranger to me, get things in perspective a little man, they are people off the telly, we're not opposing armies here, just people that pay money for CDs, these people don't know you, don't owe you anything, have no alliegance to you or anything, if i say Elton Johns shit i'm not having a go at you, so how silly we gonna look having a go at each other over what is basically like, top of the pops man? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Don't need to accuse you. You three are inseparable. Just need Johnny and it'll be complete.

Oh! Damn... I really need to start reading the threads before posting.. :lol:

On topic: Elton is a great musician but I find him boring.

Edited by izzygirl

He'd better hope another famous blonde dies soon, the bastard ain't had a hit since Diana fell off the perch :lol:

Quit stealing Keef's material.

Oh thats the fucking best one, someone get this boy a medal, or a goldfish or something. Keef?!?! What, as in Richards? :lol: Two words mate, Chuck fuckin' Berry. Keefs matierial my smelly arse :lol: Keef ain't got no fuckin' matierial, the old cunt. Yes, the punk community thought Keef was just wonderful :lol: I like that, "Keef", you ain't a Keef, you're a Keith, a Keith from Richmond. The mean streets of Richmond Upon Thames :lol: Walking around trying to talk like an American person "we played with a lot of salty cats back in 63 baby!", how exactly do you reconcile that with like, Church fetes and fuckin' jumble sales in Richmond and school trips to go sing for her majesty?!?! "yeah, uh, i see that as the moment i went bad, when i was thrown out of the choir cuz my balls dropped!" :lol:

Yes, the punk world was just in loooove with Keith Richards, i mean why wouldn't they be, he wrote Johnny B Goode, didn't he? Good ol' working class "Keef" from uh...Richmond Upon Thames, yes. And his friend Michael from the London School of Economics. Pirates, thats what they are, Vampire Pirates...dangerous, thats what they are, from the soles of their feet to the saggy old man skin stretched across their grey haired pigeon chests, rock n roll is back in town, for £1000 a throw.

It was post war London, so I don't know how great any of their upbringing was. Keith made it seem like they were getting by. Keith does get silly at times with his swaggering and whipping his knife out, and Chuck Berry being Chuck Berry would've just took bitchslapped Keef's knife out of his hand. I do have to give it up to Keith for making Chuck get his shit together and mending fences with bandmates that had a falling out with him.

Some of the biggest delinquents come from parents with "safe jobs".

I tend to think that Elton John is incredibly overrated. I do believe he has some good songs, but not many and they were all written a loooooooong time ago. He's just not relevant anymore yet everyone goes on and on about the 'genius' he is. Just cuz he's still around banging away at that piano doesn't make him talented anymore, let alone a genius. Compare him to John Lennon (Sorry Len, I know I shouldn't even mutter those words) and it puts it into perspective. John Lennon wrote music that evolved right up to the time he died and he influenced other musicians throughout the body of his work.

Since the 80s Elton's music has been passe and out of touch. It happens a lot to creative people - something with the need to create which dies or they lose touch with the mood of the times and they are no longer relevant. The fashion designer Yves St Laurent did the same thing. Throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s he was the king of fashion. Untouchable. Amazing. Then he got old and times changed but he kept going. It was a shame because the work he did in the 90s was just a shadow of what he achieved for over 30 years. You gotta know when to stop and Elton John should have stopped long ago.

Why should Elton "stop" if he still enjoys creating music, and people still enjoy listening to it? He continued to have platinum albums throughout the 80s and 90s. I'll understand why anyone gives a fuck about relevance.

Wait, what? He's not talented anymore because he still plays his piano with insane precision? How does that make any sense? He doesn't "bang" away on it. He plays his songs with an immense amount of skill. More skill than anyone on this board has. I just can't agree with you there. I mean, Billy Joel wrote pop albums up until 1993 and decided to retire because he didn't want to keep making pop music. So now, he makes classical music because that's what he wants to do. But he still tours and "bangs" away on his piano because he wrote a ton of amazing music and there are legions of people that want to hear him continue to play that music.

Why is relevance even a discussion? Relevance is relative. Relevant to today's music scene? No, of course not. That shouldn't even matter.

Edited by Zeppelin

Wait, what? He's not talented anymore because he still plays his piano with insane precision? How does that make any sense? He doesn't "bang" away on it. He plays his songs with an immense amount of skill. More skill than anyone on this board has. I just can't agree with you there. I mean, Billy Joel wrote pop albums up until 1993 and decided to retire because he didn't want to keep making pop music. So now, he makes classical music because that's what he wants to do. But he still tours and "bangs" away on his piano because he wrote a ton of amazing music and there are legions of people that want to hear him continue to play that music.

Why is relevance even a discussion? Relevance is relative. Relevant to today's music scene? No, of course not. That shouldn't even matter.

Excellent post.

Well, this thread was a mess. :lol: It's just a thread about Elton John. It doesn't need to be taken so seriously.

He's overrated because you don't like his more recent material? :question:

I disagree about his recent material, but for argument's sake, I'll agree. But he still made "genius" music for decades before that, and quite frankly, no amount of awful material from the past few years can take that away from him. He's not less of a genius just because he got old.

Because talent as a musician counts for composition at least 80%, especially in the realm of popular music. Classical music is another area entirely because the complexity of the music is so much greater. Elton John has not had an original successful hit since the 80s, his composition skills have gone down the toilet. Being able to perform really counts for very little. Have you looked at the number of people with videos on YouTube singing other peoples songs thinking that it makes them a musician? Some of them can sing and play an instrument incredibly well but it means NOTHING unless you can actually write the music to begin with. Just playing music well from 30 years ago just isn't enough to warrant 'legend' or 'genius' status. Mozart was a genius, not Elton John.

Edited by Redhead74