The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vodka drinkers and hooray for tolerance!s stay out.

whiskeybarrels.jpg

Typically I prefer bourbons, for the price and the nice sour taste, however you can't beat a fine bottle of scotch after a steak, or on a late night.

I usually buy Evan Williams, for the price it is a pretty decent bourbon. But I go up to Makers Mark when I can afford it. I almost always drink it with a single cube of ice, but occasionally will bust out a whiskey sour (especially during the summer).

I usually stay away from Canadian Whisky, but if I must, I mix it with Coke.

I take my scotch with a teaspoon of water.

What's your poison of choice? Any good suggestions?

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Bourbon all the way. Evan Williams or Ezra Brooks are much better than Jack Daniels in my opinion. Kirlkland (Costco) actually makes their own small batch bourbon at about 35 bucks a liter, 103 proof and it is outstanding. With Scotch you have to spend too much to get anything worth drinking, but my dad recently bought me a glass of Glenlivet 15 year.

I like my drinks straight up, or with 1 ice cube.

YES! I like this thread!

Rundown:

I'm not a bourbon fan.

Don't like most blended Scotch either, too little complexity. Most blended whiskies aren't very expressive. Too safe and middle of the road, plus it has the taste of corn whisky or grain whisky in it.

For me - I'm a single malt Scotch man. It's so different and expressive and complex, I love it.

Some favorites:

- Lagavulin (Islay)

- Laphroaig (Islay)

- Ardbeg (Islay)

- Caol Ila (Islay)

- Talisker (Isle Of Skye)

- The Balvenie (Speyside)

- Glenfarclas (Speyside)

- Glendronach (Highland)

- Benromach (Highland)

- Springbank (Campbeltown)

I'm generally drawn to strong smokey and/or peaty whisky, but not exclusively. I also love whisky that's been matured on sherry casks. Or finishes, but I really love the stuff that matured solely on Sherry casks.

But I also really enjoy a smooth grassy lowland like Bladnoch or Auchentoshan.

Right now I'm really loving the Glendronach 21 year old Parliment.

I love whisky! ^_^

Hoping to go on my second whisky trip through Scotland next year. Made the first one this year and it was amazing! :D

Ps.

NO ICE! Stop watering down your whisky you pussies! Don't mix it. Don't water it down. Drink it like it's meant to be drunk - pure.

The only correct glass of whisky looks like this:

glencairn%20glass.jpg

Edited by username

http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/ask/index.html

I have heard, and read, varying opinions about the proper amount of water to add (or not add) when enjoying a single malt. Some suggest drinking it neat, some with a splash of water, some with an equal amount of water and single malt, etc. There are even suggestions about using certain types of bottled water. Given that enjoying a single malt is a unique personal experience and there's probably no one correct answer, what is your preference and/or recommendation? -- Steve Sirbaugh

The specific question from Steve was if water should be added to the Scotch single malt and, if so, how much water? There have been other similar questions to The Scotch Doc, so let me "lump" them all together and provide a rather detailed answer that should satisfy everyone - I hope. I will at least tell you all that I THINK I know about it and will include some opinions. I recommend the following:

Place about two ounces of single malt in a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Swirl the contents three or four times.

Place the nose about twelve inches above the rim of the glass and sniff lightly as you slowly move your nose closer or farther from the rim of the glass.

Swirl the whisky again and smell again.

Now that you have found the "correct" distance for YOUR nose and THIS particular single malt, place about a half-teaspoon of good quality, room temperature water in the single malt. I keep a bottle of such in my single malt cabinet. Now quickly swirl the contents a couple of times and nose again. If the whisky has much character, you will now most likely have to move your glass farther from your nose. There may be an intense release of aromas from the malt- or maybe not so intense. This robust release of aromas is due to the old Chemistry 104 term called "heat of solution." In effect, this rule states that when two chemicals are mixed, they may "take on" or "release" energy, thus becoming cooler or warmer. In the case of a whisky and water mix, the solution becomes slightly warmer, thus releasing the ethyl alcohols which contain much of the aroma of the single malt. The "nosing" step of appreciating the single malt is very important. There are 32 primary aromas, but only four primary tastes (via the tongue). Taste is influenced by the sense of smell for more than most people are aware.

I don't drink it straight, by lately I've been drinking a lot of Jack Daniels. I know, I'm a pussy, I mix it with coke. Whatever.

But I also like Crown Royal Black.

I'm not a whisky drinker really, though, those are the only 2 whiskies I've drank, so this thread should be helpful to me. I want some people to recommend me some good whisky that isn't ridiculously expensive (as in more than $40/bottle). I like the... I don't even know my fuckin' terminology... "robust"-ness of Crown Royal Black, the rums that I like are either spiced or black (Kraken is both spiced and black, fuck yea). But I'd like to try more whiskies, because I like 'em, I just don't know anything other than Jack and half a bottle of Crown Black that my dad gave me.

So, drinkers of mygnr, help me out.

I don't drink it straight, by lately I've been drinking a lot of Jack Daniels. I know, I'm a pussy, I mix it with coke. Whatever.

But I also like Crown Royal Black.

I'm not a whisky drinker really, though, those are the only 2 whiskies I've drank, so this thread should be helpful to me. I want some people to recommend me some good whisky that isn't ridiculously expensive (as in more than $40/bottle). I like the... I don't even know my fuckin' terminology... "robust"-ness of Crown Royal Black, the rums that I like are either spiced or black (Kraken is both spiced and black, fuck yea). But I'd like to try more whiskies, because I like 'em, I just don't know anything other than Jack and half a bottle of Crown Black that my dad gave me.

So, drinkers of mygnr, help me out.

Try around, and decide what you like.

Evan Williams is a cheap bourbon, cheaper than Jack, and in my opinion, just as good if not better.

Makers Mark is a great upper middle range bourbon.

Crown Royal is a load of bullshit. It's overpriced nonsense with all sorts of flavor and color additives. Whisky should take all its flavor from the mash and the barrels. You don't need to add carmel flavoring or any other bullshit.

I wouldn't jump over to scotch until you can get your whiskeys down straight up. Jameson is an Irish Whiskey, and a good start for training your gag reflex and mouth to accept the burning and aroma of alcohol. It's ridiculously smooth, and easy to take straight.

Picked this up today

http://drinks.seriou...0802larceny.jpg

It's a new bourbon, reportedly from a special batch of about 100 barrels.

It's gotten some great reviews online, I'll let you guys know how it treats me.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

I never acutally bought Crown, it was given to me (my dad didn't like it). I didn't touch it for a looooong time, had to be in the right mood to drink it. Jack, however, is my go-to drink at the moment... but my go-to changes pretty frequently...

I'm thinking I might pick up some Jim Beam next time I hit a liquor store, but I've never tried it. Should I just get the regular bourbon, Devils Cut or Red Stag? Red Stag sounds interesting but I think there's a bunch of shit added to it, so it's probably not what I should start with, eh?

Jim Beam is cheaper than Makers Mark, which is why I think I'll start with that, but is it a better idea to get Makers Mark, or is Jim a good starter?

makers-mark-whisky-bourbon1.jpg

The only bourbon I ever drink.

And the only cocktails most men should be found with are Martinis and Old Fashioneds.

Agreed.

On that note, men should not drink vodka unless you're a Russian, gay, or for the purpose of pleasing and or having sexual relations with a woman.

Lenny, on your post, this isn't a thread about drinking to get drunk, or to knock back as much as you can to prove you have stones.

To me, drinking is about more than that. Sure, you can be at a party and sip on jungle juice until you stumble out onto the streets, but to me drinking is more than that.

Drinking is to sip on culture, emotion, passion, and history.

The drinking of spirits, liquor, and beer, is one of the oldest traditions of man kind, and is to me, a respectable practice.

So many great people throughout history drank every day. Writers, musicians, directors, politicians, revolutionaries, mathematicians, and scientists. Drinking fine liquors and spirits is a shared practice between people in everyday life, and the ones we admire.

Sipping a good whisky isn't about getting wasted, it's about so much more.

Edited by LiveFromNormal