The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Remember this bloke telling me once that glenmorangie is just soft shite for tourists.

No, I don't remember that bloke. :confused: But he was wrong.

Oh you remember the one, one brown eye, one grey eye, porkpie hat and a monocle, one leg shorter than the other?

I'm just not a big fan of Canadian Whiskys.

Their lower regulations allow for more additives and dyes, and they tend to age them less and use lower quality barrels. It takes aware from the genuine color and flavor IMHO.

I think as a heritage thing, whisky has been around in the UK, Ireland and the USA a lot longer, and it's considered a tradition, so more distilleries produce better quality products.

That's my opinion, I'll look up what regulations they have, and post a link when I find it.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

I've had Crown Royal. Got it for my birthday once. It's not that'it's bad. In fact at the time I liked it. It's smooth and soft. But, again, very middle of the road and safe. I do prefer it to most bourbon though!

Speaking of Bourbon, there are a lot of fans of it here (so it seems). Like I said, I don't really like it. Don't like the sour taste or the excess of vanilla. Any tips on a non-typical special Bourbon? I've had stuff like Jim Beam, Jim Beam Black, Austin Nichols Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark and Old Granddad's. Didn't particularly love any of them. Oh and I've had Jack. It's ok, but not special.

Jameson is ok by the way, but I'd really prefer Connemara. Best Irish whiskey I've had. Bushmills has a few good ones as well.

I've had Crown Royal. Got it for my birthday once. It's not that'it's bad. In fact at the time I liked it. It's smooth and soft. But, again, very middle of the road and safe. I do prefer it to most bourbon though!

Speaking of Bourbon, there are a lot of fans of it here (so it seems). Like I said, I don't really like it. Don't like the sour taste or the excess of vanilla. Any tips on a non-typical special Bourbon? I've had stuff like Jim Beam, Jim Beam Black, Austin Nichols Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark and Old Granddad's. Didn't particularly love any of them. Oh and I've had Jack. It's ok, but not special.

Jameson is ok by the way, but I'd really prefer Connemara. Best Irish whiskey I've had. Bushmills has a few good ones as well.

Username check out my recommendations on page 2. Knob Creek is pretty easy to come by.

As for Crown, my problem is that it is very average whisky for a price that is well above what it is worth.

They bottle mediocre whisky, give it a fancy name and a classy looking bottle with a little silk bag and charge you $35 dollars for it.

It's really a $15-$20 whisky. Not a bad whisky, but kind of a scam.

Whiskey and America go back before the Revolution. Mostly drank in the middle and southern colonies. New Englanders tend to drink rum but there are whiskey drinkers. Ale was widely consumed until the Revolution and after that it was considered too British and therefore unpatriotic. But American have been perfecting whiskey. It is one of our greatest achievements. That and the Atom Bomb.

Not saying it is any better then produced in the U.K. and Ireland, just saying it holds up well compared to them.

Username check out my recommendations on page 2. Knob Creek is pretty easy to come by.

Will do! How does it differ from most bourbons? Anything to compare it with?

As for Crown, my problem is that it is very average whisky for a price that is well above what it is worth.

They bottle mediocre whisky, give it a fancy name and a classy looking bottle with a little silk bag and charge you $35 dollars for it.

It's really a $15-$20 whisky. Not a bad whisky, but kind of a scam.

Agreed. NOT worth it. I'd rather pay 45 euro's for a good Single Malt Scotch. But there's also better cheap whisk(e)y for the same price as Crown.

Not saying it is any better then produced in the U.K. and Ireland, just saying it holds up well compared to them.

In fact it's a completely different product.

Bourbon Whiskey is made from malted grain (at least 51% of which has to be corn if I remember correctly). Straight Bourbon is no added grain, just corn.

Single Malt Scotch whisky is made from malted barley. Completely different product.

Blended malt's are mixtures of several malt whisky's from either grain, corn or barley.

They do all have similar production processes, but there still are differences. Bourbon has to be matured in new oak wood casks, by regulation. But Scotch is often matured on used bourbon casks or sherry casks. Sometimes also port, ale or wine casks. Scotch has to mature for at least 3 years, whereas for bourbon there is no minimum. Straight bourbon however has to be matured at least 4 years. I'm not sure, but I think bourbon is also distilled once, whereas Scotch is typically distilled twice and most Irish whiskey even thrice.

So yeah, completely different products!

Edited by username

I approve this thread.

As for my Scotch on the rock(s). I add a single ice cube to 2 fingers of scotch. It cools, not chills it, and essentially gives you the splash of water you're looking for. Dazey asking me what alcohol costs is a moot point, I live in Washington and we get taxed through the balls on it. I think off the top of my head Glenlivet 15 year could be had for about 70 bucks here. We have a $3.77 per liter tax per bottle, and a borderline treasonous 20.5% retail tax on top of that. If Washington didn't just make weed legal, I may be more upset (plus I live near the Oregon border).

As for Dazey saying whiskey hangovers aren't bad...you didn't do it right. Vodka finishes much cleaner.

Anyways someone asked earlier for the taste differences between the types of whiskies.

American Bourbon: Sweet, subtle notes of maple, honey, or vanilla. Has a very smooth texture, and a nice oak finish. Some hints of spices are detectable to a trained palette.

It also tends to have a slight sour taste. This, interestingly, has nothing to do with the use of 'sour mash' which incidentally is not sour, and is simple recycled corn mash. Has a bit of a burn, depending on the variety you get.

Irish Whiskey: Strikingly smooth. You get more of a grain and wood taste, but overall Irish whiskey has always gone down very easy for me. The alcohol taste is masked by some almost fruity notes, but the wood and grain flavor definitely has consistently held out over all other notes in my opinion. This is a great whiskey to start with, it's easy to toss around in your mouth and learn to explore the subtle textures and flavors of whiskey.

Scotch Whiskey: This is a tricky one. It varies wildly based on what distillery or bottle you get, and if you choose single or blended. Scotch however tends to be smokier than other whiskies, it has a great charcoal and oak taste. Scotch has a burn, but it is usually pleasant and welcome, and afterwards has a citrusy aroma that lingers in your mouth for several minutes. Single malt has a rougher texture than blended, so if you're new to scotch, start with blended, and work your way up to single malt.

Canadian Whisky: Tends to have the similar taste and texture of bourbon, but less notes and less interesting. It tends to be a very sweet whisky, and has a strong taste of almonds or caramel. The almond taste is brought out nicely in a coke, and this is the only whisky I'd recommend mixing.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

As for my Scotch on the rock(s). I add a single ice cube to 2 fingers of scotch. It cools, not chills it, and essentially gives you the splash of water you're looking for.

It ruins it and obliterates the majority of the flavours and aromas. Scotch is never meant to be chilled, it's supposed to be served room temp. <_<

Fuck ice. A teaspoon of water or soda water owns (trust me, that last one works better than plain water)

Hahahhahahahhahahhahhaha! What the fuck are you on about you fucking dopey cunt? :lol: Soda in a single malt? Hahaha! Fuck me! Wash your mouth out with elephant piss this second and give your head a shake! :lol: Fucking soda! I've heard it all now! Next you'll be telling me to drown my rice in chilli! :lol:

Edited by Dazey