The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with Dazey on the topic of Scotch, here are my personal choices for drinking, and feel free to disagree or debate them.

Bourbon: A single ice cube with a bourbon is acceptable. Bourbon is very sweet, and therefore the flavor may be heightened by chilling slightly, and watered down by the cube of ice.

Scotch: I drink my Scotch with a teaspoon of water or club soda. A rocks glass, a snifter, or a sherry glass, will do fine. A snifter or sherry glass allows for the aroma of the drink to show in a fashion that is more enjoyable to a developed scotch drinker. A huge part of drinking scotch is the smell of the drink, and the snifter or sherry glass provides a wider bottom and a thiner top to allow a better flow of the smell. Adding water, as Dazey and others have stated, creates a chemical reaction which releases more of the prominent flavors and textures, and other hidden flavors you may not have noticed with your first smell. The water may also help with the burn the alcohol creates. Scotch should never be drank with ice, the warmth and burn is part of the allure of the drink, and provides a unique texture and flavor that may be compromised by adding even one cube of ice.

The best water to use with Scotch is mineral water produced in the same country (Scotland) however if it is unavailable, any sort of bottle water or mineral water will do fine. AVOID USING TAP WATER.

Irish Whiskey: A rocks glass is appropriate. Irish whiskey should be sipped straight. It is smooth, and therefore easy to drink straight, so there is no reason to mix or water it down. It has no real smell value, like scotch does, but if you're inexperienced a dash of water can be of assistance. Just don't be caught drinking Irish whiskey with water in public.

Canadian Whisky: As stated before, Canadian whisky is of lower quality than the UK or USA, but has its benefits as well. It is more of a commercial statement than a historical or personal statement, and can be drank in a highball glass with ice and Cola. It may also be sipped in a rocks glass, with or without ice.

It is never a crime to have a glass of chilled mineral or bottled water to be used as a chaser with any whisky, especially if you're a beginner.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Half a teaspoon of soda doesn't mean you end up with Whiskey Fanta you thick cunt. But it does the same job better.

Go to a Scottish distillery and tell them that chuckles! :lol: Fuck me you'll be lucky to leave with your bollocks intact! :lol: You stick to your maltinis and leave the rest to the grownups eh? :P

Dazey, Scotch and soda follows the same principals of Scotch and water. A teaspoon or half a teaspoon is fine.

The carbonation makes little difference, except that with club soda it is a purer water, and perhaps the carbonation releases the fumes of the drink better.

It was nice being the classiest drinker at the party back in the day.

You're goddamn right,

Showing up with a dark liquor (Jose Cuervo and Captain Morgan don't count) at a party is classy enough where I live.

I had to chew out a bartender here in town when I asked for a bourbon and he gave me some house shit. I wanted a REAL bourbon.

Shit, you can show up with an Arametto here and still be praised as the classiest son of a bitch at the party.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Whenever someone offers me Bud Light in a plastic cup, I wanted to dump it on their head. If I am going to drink cheap beer I will drink it with dignity.

You have to be specific. He isn't use to classless people.

I would drink cognac and smoke on a Lucky Strike. I was the epitome of cool for like 4 minutes.

So... you're all a bunch of alcoholics, right?

Can I buy you a drink?

I guess... as long as you don't give me a lecture about it, yes.

No lecture, just drinking.

Sure... but how? Paypal? :lol:

Seriously, I have a family gathering this Saturday and this thread will be very useful for that day..

Who the fuck has Whiskey with a splash of water?! Ice I could accept, but the main purpose of that is to make it colder. Water? Gay.

Anyway, despite that I've discovered this new Whiskey liqueur "Fireball" it's absolutely terrific. (Yes I realise it's not technically a "proper" whiskey but damn does it taste good!)

video-film-fireball-cinnamon-whiskey_ml-ed_1.jpg

Who the fuck has Whiskey with a splash of water?! Ice I could accept, but the main purpose of that is to make it colder. Water? Gay.

Ice? GAY! By making it colder you ruin the flavour. You'll find a splash of water (at the same temp as the whisky) has nothing to do with watering it down. It actually induces a chemical reaction in the whisky which enhances the flavour.

Place about two ounces of single malt in a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Swirl the contents three or four times.

Place the nose about twelve inches above the rim of the glass and sniff lightly as you slowly move your nose closer or farther from the rim of the glass.

Swirl the whisky again and smell again.

Now that you have found the "correct" distance for YOUR nose and THIS particular single malt, place about a half-teaspoon of good quality, room temperature water in the single malt. I keep a bottle of such in my single malt cabinet. Now quickly swirl the contents a couple of times and nose again. If the whisky has much character, you will now most likely have to move your glass farther from your nose. There may be an intense release of aromas from the malt- or maybe not so intense. This robust release of aromas is due to the old Chemistry 104 term called "heat of solution." In effect, this rule states that when two chemicals are mixed, they may "take on" or "release" energy, thus becoming cooler or warmer. In the case of a whisky and water mix, the solution becomes slightly warmer, thus releasing the ethyl alcohols which contain much of the aroma of the single malt. The "nosing" step of appreciating the single malt is very important. There are 32 primary aromas, but only four primary tastes (via the tongue). Taste is influenced by the sense of smell for more than most people are aware.

http://www.scotchdoc.../ask/index.html

Edited by Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

Hey, your lot invented it so i suppose you'd fuckin' know more than anyone :lol: Well, dunno about invented it but you make the best, don'tcha? As well as drink the most!

Ice? GAY! By making it colder you ruin the flavour. You'll find a splash of water (at the same temp as the whisky) has nothing to do with watering it down. It actually induces a chemical reaction in the whisky which enhances the flavour.

And now we know why he studied chemical engineering... just to learn how to upgrade his drinks.

Just a heads up, lads. There's no "e" in Scotch Whisky.

Hence my title, including the spelling scotch whisky, and other countries whiskeys.

The water and whiskey thing is a really basic chemical reaction. It's definitely nothing to do with engineering.

Edited by LiveFromNormal