The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shit where do I begin?

Bourbon:

Wild Turkey

Makers Mark

Woodford Reserve

Jim Beam

Jim Beam Honey

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels White Rabbit Saloon

Irish

Green Spot

Redbreast

Writers Tears

The Irishman Single Malt

Jameson

Powers

Connemara Cask Strength

Tyrconnell

Greenore

Crested Ten

Kilbeggan

Tullamore Dew

Haven't tackled the Scotch yet, but all in good time :lol:

Who the fuck has Whiskey with a splash of water?! Ice I could accept, but the main purpose of that is to make it colder. Water? Gay.

Anyway, despite that I've discovered this new Whiskey liqueur "Fireball" it's absolutely terrific. (Yes I realise it's not technically a "proper" whiskey but damn does it taste good!)

video-film-fireball-cinnamon-whiskey_ml-ed_1.jpg

And you're a Foxy Shazam fan, aren't you? :lol:

I've had that a few times... didn't overly care for it but it was probably the easiest thing to shoot that I had at the time. The problem is, my and my buddy were shooting that and absinthe (not mixed...), and well, yea, I can't touch it anymore :lol:

Dazey, Scotch and soda follows the same principals of Scotch and water. A teaspoon or half a teaspoon is fine.

The carbonation makes little difference, except that with club soda it is a purer water, and perhaps the carbonation releases the fumes of the drink better.

Thank you. I defintely ain't no coke mixing bitch with Scotch. I know my shit.

Just a heads up, lads. There's no "e" in Scotch Whisky.

If I've put an e, its because Swype on my phone didn't let me. But if you normally put an e, your a dick.

Tonight I'm having a Glendronach 21 year old Parliment. ^_^ Maybe after that a Lagavulin 1991 Distillers Edition. :)

Yesterday was even better - had a glass of Ardbeg Feis Ile ('09 or '10..not sure) and a glass of the beyond amazing Benromach Vintage 1969 we bought in Scotland last summer with our whisky club. :wub: Without a doubt one of the absolute best whisky's I've ever had.

Edited by username

I don't get this obsession with price determined by age. :huh:

A standard Lagavulin 16 year old is about 40 to 45 euro's. But you pay the same for a 12 year old Caol Ila or a 10 year old Ardbeg or Talisker. Yes, very old whisky tends to be more expensive. But not expensive per se. In my experience the stuff from 20 years and up causes a steap rise in price.

The Glendronach 21 year old cost me about 80 euro's. The Lagavulin Distillers Edition roughly the same.

The Benromach 1969 was actually stupidly expensive. 500 pounds / 600 euro's. We bought it with 13 guys of a whisky club as a part of our trip to Scotland after a fantastic tour and tasting at Benromach. ;) I think the Ardbeg was very expensive too, but I didn't buy that. Got a small sample of it from the whisky club collection. :)

Ps.

"here" means, in my case, Holland.

Edited by username

Who the fuck has Whiskey with a splash of water?! Ice I could accept, but the main purpose of that is to make it colder. Water? Gay.

Ice? GAY! By making it colder you ruin the flavour. You'll find a splash of water (at the same temp as the whisky) has nothing to do with watering it down. It actually induces a chemical reaction in the whisky which enhances the flavour.

Place about two ounces of single malt in a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Swirl the contents three or four times.

Place the nose about twelve inches above the rim of the glass and sniff lightly as you slowly move your nose closer or farther from the rim of the glass.

Swirl the whisky again and smell again.

Now that you have found the "correct" distance for YOUR nose and THIS particular single malt, place about a half-teaspoon of good quality, room temperature water in the single malt. I keep a bottle of such in my single malt cabinet. Now quickly swirl the contents a couple of times and nose again. If the whisky has much character, you will now most likely have to move your glass farther from your nose. There may be an intense release of aromas from the malt- or maybe not so intense. This robust release of aromas is due to the old Chemistry 104 term called "heat of solution." In effect, this rule states that when two chemicals are mixed, they may "take on" or "release" energy, thus becoming cooler or warmer. In the case of a whisky and water mix, the solution becomes slightly warmer, thus releasing the ethyl alcohols which contain much of the aroma of the single malt. The "nosing" step of appreciating the single malt is very important. There are 32 primary aromas, but only four primary tastes (via the tongue). Taste is influenced by the sense of smell for more than most people are aware.

http://www.scotchdoc.../ask/index.html

Should listen to this guy. He's a chemical engineer!

Shit where do I begin?

Bourbon:

Wild Turkey

Makers Mark

Woodford Reserve

Jim Beam

Jim Beam Honey

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels White Rabbit Saloon

Irish

Green Spot

Redbreast

Writers Tears

The Irishman Single Malt

Jameson

Powers

Connemara Cask Strength

Tyrconnell

Greenore

Crested Ten

Kilbeggan

Tullamore Dew

Haven't tackled the Scotch yet, but all in good time :lol:

I am saving this. Let us known when you get the Scotch.

Ice? GAY! By making it colder you ruin the flavour. You'll find a splash of water (at the same temp as the whisky) has nothing to do with watering it down. It actually induces a chemical reaction in the whisky which enhances the flavour.

Place the nose about twelve inches above the rim of the glass and sniff lightly as you slowly move your nose closer or farther from the rim of the glass.

Now that you have found the "correct" distance for YOUR nose and THIS particular single malt, place about a half-teaspoon of good quality, room temperature water in the single malt. I keep a bottle of such in my single malt cabinet. Now quickly swirl the contents a couple of times and nose again. If the whisky has much character, you will now most likely have to move your glass farther from your nose. There may be an intense release of aromas from the malt- or maybe not so intense. This robust release of aromas is due to the old Chemistry 104 term called "heat of solution." In effect, this rule states that when two chemicals are mixed, they may "take on" or "release" energy, thus becoming cooler or warmer. In the case of a whisky and water mix, the solution becomes slightly warmer, thus releasing the ethyl alcohols which contain much of the aroma of the single malt. The "nosing" step of appreciating the single malt is very important. There are 32 primary aromas, but only four primary tastes (via the tongue). Taste is influenced by the sense of smell for more than most people are aware.

He was also quoting my post :max:

It's cos you're black.

It's cos you're black.

Yeah, hooray for tolerance!.

Sipping a good whisky isn't about getting wasted, it's about so much more.

A thousand times this.

:rofl-lol:

you alcohol connoisseurs crack me up

its all good, trust me

I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I have my way of drinking bourbon, but when you do it 4 glasses in a row, you gonna get drunk. Also, never more than one glass of scotch in a sitting.

Can this just turn into a 'What Are You Drinking' thread? We don't have one of those & I don't drink whiskey, bourbon or scotch. I mean after 9 pages is there much else to say about whiskey, bourbon & scotch? Please correct me if im wrong because i dont drink the stuff and wouldn't know. Otherwise, let's start a general drinking thread. I'm currently enjoying an Australian McLaren Vale Shiraz.

Can this just turn into a 'What Are You Drinking' thread? We don't have one of those & I don't drink whiskey, bourbon or scotch.

We do have one of those threads and we don't care what you drink, you attention whore. -_- Are you conscious you don't have to comment in every single thread if you are not interested in the subject?

On topic: Who in the hell voted for Canadian Whisky?! :suspicious:

Edited by izzygirl

Can this just turn into a 'What Are You Drinking' thread? We don't have one of those & I don't drink whiskey, bourbon or scotch.

We do have one of those threads and we don't care what you drink, you attention whore. -_- Are you conscious you don't have to comment in every single thread if you are not interested in the subject?

Moi? Un attention whore? :lol: Look who's talking!

And I don't comment in every thread you fucking retard. Why would I have commented in this thread if I hadn't read it to begin with? Reading something generally suggests some level of interest, unless you're a fucking retard, of course.