The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here are some general observations.

The bourbon is single barrel, and the barrel number, batch number, and bottle number are etched on the side of the bottle.

Since it is a single barrel, each bottle from each different barrel will have a different taste. I've been reading a lot of people reporting pepper and spice hints, and some reporting mellow peat and oak.

My bottle is very very sweet(which I love in a bourbon).

It has a maple syrup aroma with some honey notes.

The first taste definitely has strong maple and sugar cane hints, with a warm, soft texture. The best part is the finish, the sweet taste is complimented by a nice mix of bitter and mellow, notes like oak, peat, and orange peel are prevalent in the finish, making it a very smooth and clean finish with almost no burn.

My ice trays are empty so I've been drinking it straight with no single cube of ice(which I prefer) and I gotta say, this bourbon is really phenomenal even without the chill of the ice.

The bottle is also really cool, as username said it's shaped like a pot still(which makes it difficult to pour) and around the cork was a ribbon with the batch, barrel, and bottle number hand written in pen and a (I assume computer printed) signature of the master distiller. I love how detail oriented it is.

The bottle name and distillery name are pressed onto the front of the bottle with a gold wax seal(very cool).

The color of the expression is perfect amber with a little bit of bloody orange.

Definitely a new favorite of mine.

I'm going to raid my dad's cabinet tonight. All I really see though is some weird flavored Jim Beam and Johnnie Walker red label. Would you drink those with an ice cube?

My parents don't drink a lot of hard liquor.

I wouldn't drink the Johnny Red at all. :lol:

I'm not a big fan of bourbon in general. Don't like the regular Jim at all, but I've had some special editions from Jim that were nice.

I still stand by my no ice-stand. -_- A few drops of water to bring out the flavor if it needs it, but that's it for me.

Edited by username

Here are some general observations.

The bourbon is single barrel, and the barrel number, batch number, and bottle number are etched on the side of the bottle.

Since it is a single barrel, each bottle from each different barrel will have a different taste. I've been reading a lot of people reporting pepper and spice hints, and some reporting mellow peat and oak.

My bottle is very very sweet(which I love in a bourbon).

It has a maple syrup aroma with some honey notes.

The first taste definitely has strong maple and sugar cane hints, with a warm, soft texture. The best part is the finish, the sweet taste is complimented by a nice mix of bitter and mellow, notes like oak, peat, and orange peel are prevalent in the finish, making it a very smooth and clean finish with almost no burn.

My ice trays are empty so I've been drinking it straight with no single cube of ice(which I prefer) and I gotta say, this bourbon is really phenomenal even without the chill of the ice.

The bottle is also really cool, as username said it's shaped like a pot still(which makes it difficult to pour) and around the cork was a ribbon with the batch, barrel, and bottle number hand written in pen and a (I assume computer printed) signature of the master distiller. I love how detail oriented it is.

The bottle name and distillery name are pressed onto the front of the bottle with a gold wax seal(very cool).

The color of the expression is perfect amber with a little bit of bloody orange.

Definitely a new favorite of mine.

Sounds very nice actually! ^_^ Great details that make it just a bit more romantic doesn't it? :lol: Stuff like the barrel number, the shape etc. I love the single barrel / single cask deals. I've had a few ones from Caol Ila, same age, different casks and/or years. Each one unique! Love that!

I'll see if I can spot this one somewhere. I'm not a bourbon man, but it sounds great!

• 3 weeks later...
It's the best scotch for its value. 30-35 bucks, nice and smokey... Above average.

I disagree! It's not bad at all, no. But as far as value for money goes I'd really throw in that extra 5 to 10 bucks and buy a more expressive smokey whisky like Lagavulin. Or do the prices differ over there?

Edited by username

It's the best scotch for its value. 30-35 bucks, nice and smokey... Above average.

I disagree! It's not bad at all, no. But as far as value for money goes I'd really throw in that extra 5 to 10 bucks and buy a more expressive smokey whisky like Lagavulin. Or do the prices differ over there?

Lagavulin is closer to 45 here, so yeah, extra ten to fifteen.

The Glennlivet is probably about 35 or so... And I like it better than JW. But Black Label is what I started with, so I often recommend it because its easy to like, and smoother than a single malt.

Here is how I keep my collection of pricier or interesting bottles.

It makes them a little more decorative, and cherish able.

collection_zpsf9f871dd.jpg

From left to right:

Larceny Bourbon

Woodford Reserve Bourbon

The Speyside 12 Year Scotch

Swiss Absinthe Superiure

Appleton Estate Rum

Working on my other bottles soon B-)

Lagavulin is closer to 45 here, so yeah, extra ten to fifteen.

The Glennlivet is probably about 35 or so... And I like it better than JW. But Black Label is what I started with, so I often recommend it because its easy to like, and smoother than a single malt.

Ah, cool! :) And yes, I like Glenlivet too. Great value for money! But I went for an Islay because of the smoke tones. ;) I do just about always advise a single malt over a blend though. That might be a little bit snobbish, but I think generally they're more expressive. It's a more interesting world to me. In fairness, I started on blends too. Black Label, Dimple, Chivas Regal... Went on to the single malt world a few years later, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

In other unrelated whisky news, I just found out the rough program of this years whisky trip with our whisky club! :D Islay is in it! ^_^ We'll visit Lagavulin, Kilchoman, probably Caol Ila and/or Laphroaig, Isle Of Jura and on the way back Oban. Among others, but these have been announced so far. VERY excited about it! :D

Edit: Cool pic, nice set! I'd like to try some of those bourbons.

Also, if we're posting pics I'll have to take some. ;)

Edited by username