Do you think TIL was the song that Slash and Duff hated on, thus causing Axl to lose his songwriting confidence for years?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old guys were far better at writing rockers than the Chinese Democracy guys. None of the rockers on CD were very memorable.

I sort of agree with you there. I think some of the songs on CD were rockers, they just got over produced. Take a couple of layers off of Scraped or CD and they are good rock tunes. And Better is pretty good also. But as a whole I agree with you. When I first listened to the whole album my biggest problem was their isn't any you could be mine or jungle sounding tunes. Something to really kick you in the face and say YES!!! This is Guns n' fucking Roses!!! But as we all know, this isn't Guns n' fucking Roses is it? I do think they are gnr or even guns n' roses, but their will only be one Guns n' fucking Roses!!!!

The old guys were really all about rockers. But somehow they ended up touring a whole set of ballads. I think in someway that was getting to them. Duff and Izzy's punk roots, Slash and Steven more rock n roll guys. Even tracks like Back Off Bitch and Pretty Tied Up were great rockers.

To be fair the new guys aren't trying to write rockers. It's more grunge industrial, it's never going to rock as hard as an ACDC song. But when they cover ACDC it sounds pretty solid. The hardest rocking guy in the current line up is Dj? Sixx Am have some rockers.

I would suggest they all get locked in a room with Rocky 4 soundtrack til they write the next GNR rocker.

The old guys were really all about rockers. But somehow they ended up touring a whole set of ballads. I think in someway that was getting to them. Duff and Izzy's punk roots, Slash and Steven more rock n roll guys. Even tracks like Back Off Bitch and Pretty Tied Up were great rockers.

To be fair the new guys aren't trying to write rockers. It's more grunge industrial, it's never going to rock as hard as an ACDC song. But when they cover ACDC it sounds pretty solid. The hardest rocking guy in the current line up is Dj? Sixx Am have some rockers.

I would suggest they all get locked in a room with Rocky 4 soundtrack til they write the next GNR rocker.

That's the best advice I heard all day!!! Give us fans something that reminds us of the old days and it would really help Axl's case.

The old guys were far better at writing rockers than the Chinese Democracy guys. None of the rockers on CD were very memorable.

I sort of agree with you there. I think some of the songs on CD were rockers, they just got over produced. Take a couple of layers off of Scraped or CD and they are good rock tunes. And Better is pretty good also. But as a whole I agree with you. When I first listened to the whole album my biggest problem was their isn't any you could be mine or jungle sounding tunes. Something to really kick you in the face and say YES!!! This is Guns n' fucking Roses!!! But as we all know, this isn't Guns n' fucking Roses is it? I do think they are gnr or even guns n' roses, but their will only be one Guns n' fucking Roses!!!!

Better is a killer track, but I don't really consider it a straight up rocker. However, Scraped, RIAD and especially Chinese Democracy are all pretty bland. And Shackler's Revenge has great melodies and a a great chorus; unfortunately Bumblefoot's guitar solo is absolute fucking shit and kills whatever potential the song had.

Edited by Randy Lahey

no

Yes. Either way they're gone and there is nothing you can do to change it. One former member is GNR's opening act, and the other is just a session/touring musician. Truth is the truth, hurts...

Why am i supposed to be do something with this?

This band is NOT Guns N' Roses. Even if former members share the same stage with Axl

there is nothing you can do to change it

Truth is the truth, hurts...

Shackler's revenge is the hardest song on CD. I think it is great, but again it is not a rocker like the old days. But it is the hardest thing newgnr have released to date.

no

Yes. Either way they're gone and there is nothing you can do to change it. One former member is GNR's opening act, and the other is just a session/touring musician. Truth is the truth, hurts...

This band is NOT Guns N' Roses. Even if former members share the same stage with Axl

Well actually it is guns n' roses. Like or dislike it all you want, but the fact remains. Having said that this band is not Guns n' fucking Roses, at least that's how I look at it.

no

Last time I checked this band is Guns N' Roses. Just because you want to believe it isn't due to some lineup changes that you don't agree with, doesn't change the name of the band. Get over it. It's 2012. I thought most people stopped bitching about this in 2002.

Better is a killer track, but I don't really consider it a straight up rocker. However, Scraped, RIAD and especially Chinese Democracy are all pretty bland.

Better is SCOM played by NIN I guess. Those songs really lack the dynamics of GNR rockers like YCBM or Back Off Bitch. I think it's what is called the arrangement? Scraped has been put together like a Prodigy song and Chi Dem has a U2 quality (although in the verses it sounds a lot like Jungle the way the guitars mesh), CD has a pop rock feel. All the For Those About to Rock feel has gone. If Zak Wylde had stayed they could have done a more Alice In Chains type rocker. I think this is what fans are wanting. But Axl seems to have move on. I mean it's not a surprise Finck and Bucket didnt make an ACDC album. I can't see Dj and Ron doing it either. Judas Priest meets Marc Bolan for the 21st century seems more likely. If they could just take the hard rock structure and then have the sound of Scraped that would rock. Axl is too creative for the masses. We want cheeseburgers and ice-cream. Axl likes Chili Burgers maybe it's a sign they will make a more Morrison Hotel type album. Tommy's Burger House could be the working title.

Edited by wasted

Having said that about Shackler's, I feel it is a better rocking song than anything Velvet Revolver or slash solo has put out. It's no jungle but it is a harder song than anything slash has done post gnr imo.

On an unrelated topic, I hate Back off Bitch. One of the worst songs gnr ever recorded imo, including everthing on CD. It is just a very below average rock song imo.

Edited by Mike420

What about chinese democracy? Thats the biggest rocker of them all imo, and the one that sounds most like a true gnr tune. Its the new jungle imo.

Do you mean lyrically, cos I think the music to Back off Bitch kicks ass. Shackler's is kind of like YCBM played by Korn. It has the dynamics of a GNR classic.

I def hate the lyrics, very boring. But even musically it doesn't do anything for me. And honestly I have never liked it, even when I first bought UYI1. Shotgun blues, my world and dont cry alt are the songs on UYI2 I don't like. Don't cry is ok, I just don't understand why have two versions? Seems uneeded.

But for me shotgun blues and back off bitch are the worst "rock" songs classic gnr ever recorded.

And Riad is the worst "rock" song newgnr have ever recorded. Just very bland, all three of them imo.

no

Last time I checked this band is Guns N' Roses. Just because you want to believe it isn't due to some lineup changes that you don't agree with, doesn't change the name of the band. Get over it. It's 2012. I thought most people stopped bitching about this in 2002.

some?

That some lineup changes makes GNR dead.

Just because you want to believe it is GNR it isn't. Get over it. It's 2012. Most people didn't consider this band as GNR.

end of discussion

Slash and Duff had bigger egos than Axl.

Axl was just the eccentric recluse. In Axl's own words, they called him a loser. What assholes. But then again, they were complete alcoholic drug addicts at the time, sooo, some people around here give them a free pass.

Can you please keep the cupcake threads to the attitude section?

Better is a killer track, but I don't really consider it a straight up rocker. However, Scraped, RIAD and especially Chinese Democracy are all pretty bland.

Better is SCOM played by NIN I guess. Those songs really lack the dynamics of GNR rockers like YCBM or Back Off Bitch. I think it's what is called the arrangement? Scraped has been put together like a Prodigy song and Chi Dem has a U2 quality (although in the verses it sounds a lot like Jungle the way the guitars mesh), CD has a pop rock feel. All the For Those About to Rock feel has gone. If Zak Wylde had stayed they could have done a more Alice In Chains type rocker. I think this is what fans are wanting. But Axl seems to have move on. I mean it's not a surprise Finck and Bucket didnt make an ACDC album. I can't see Dj and Ron doing it either. Judas Priest meets Marc Bolan for the 21st century seems more likely. If they could just take the hard rock structure and then have the sound of Scraped that would rock. Axl is too creative for the masses. We want cheeseburgers and ice-cream. Axl likes Chili Burgers maybe it's a sign they will make a more Morrison Hotel type album. Tommy's Burger House could be the working title.

Completely agree with you

What about chinese democracy? Thats the biggest rocker of them all imo, and the one that sounds most like a true gnr tune. Its the new jungle imo.

I like CD, but like I said before it is over produced. Take a couple of layers off of it and it would have sounded better imo. It's a great song, just doesn't need all that "extra" on it. It's like a super hot chick in a turtle neck sweater wearing a winter coat. Obviously she is hot, but she is her sexiest just in her bra and panties. Or just naked.

I like CD, but like I said before it is over produced. Take a couple of layers off of it and it would have sounded better imo. It's a great song, just doesn't need all that "extra" on it. It's like a super hot chick in a turtle neck sweater wearing a winter coat. Obviously she is hot, but she is her sexiest just in her bra and panties. Or just naked.

you're hot chick analogy doesnt make sense. If you're comparing CD's over production to a hot girl, it would make more sense to say she naturally looks great and doesnt need all that make-up

Edited by RJ88

I believe Axl identifies with pain and chaos. He does not feel normal unless his existence is in disarray. Subconsciously this identification with chaos informs his entire existence. I really dont think Slash n Duff had anything to do with his confidence in writing material to a large extent. I dont understand how Axl can state that the material for Slash's Snakepit is inferior for GNR and at the same time state that the man who created that material is a person who influenced his ability to write material. From Axl's statements it does not appear that he respected Slash artistically, but claims that Slash was somehow a huge influence on his inablity to write. I do believe that Slash leaving him had alot to do with Axl having the confidence to stand on his own and write material. Axl knows that his vision required Slash. i do not believe Axl thought he needed anybody but Slash, thus his haterd of him.

Do you mean lyrically, cos I think the music to Back off Bitch kicks ass. Shackler's is kind of like YCBM played by Korn. It has the dynamics of a GNR classic.

I def hate the lyrics, very boring. But even musically it doesn't do anything for me. And honestly I have never liked it, even when I first bought UYI1. Shotgun blues, my world and dont cry alt are the songs on UYI2 I don't like. Don't cry is ok, I just don't understand why have two versions? Seems uneeded.

But for me shotgun blues and back off bitch are the worst "rock" songs classic gnr ever recorded.

And Riad is the worst "rock" song newgnr have ever recorded. Just very bland, all three of them imo.

Those 3 seem to be all pretty fast and aggressive but there's not much to them. I would disagree on BOB, it has the structure and solo and development. But it's not as good YCBM. In terms of having parts and development and a rant.

I think Chi Dem really is Jungle 2. But he's singing in a more It's So Easy way. The Jungle voice is on Better.

Chinese Democracy (song) is a complete dud. I still can't believe they released it as a single. The song has no chorus, a bland solo and no signature Axl Rose sounding vocals. I'm hoping that he will hire Izzy to help him write some decent rockers for the next album and keep Bumblefoot the hell away from them.

Chinese Democracy (song) is a complete dud. I still can't believe they released it as a single. The song has no chorus, a bland solo and no signature Axl Rose sounding vocals. I'm hoping that he will hire Izzy to help him write some decent rockers for the next album and keep Bumblefoot the hell away from them.

Randy, you're on fire. Preach it, my brother!