Do you think TIL was the song that Slash and Duff hated on, thus causing Axl to lose his songwriting confidence for years?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest, i'll bet everyone other than beta made fun of TIL when they heard it. slash and duff were just in a position that they could do it to axl's face.

Something similar happened with November Rain, Slash didn´t like it at all and considered it a bad song...go figure.

This I love is a pretty good song imo, it´s a matter of taste and the fact that someone doesn´t like it doesn´t mean it´s shit.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

3,087 likes to a mere 29 dislikes

And the most liked comment on this video, does in fact relate to 'crying'.

This.

It's a really brilliant rock ballad, one that'd have been a major hit back in the day.

An even better example of the appeal of 'This I Love'.

6,795 likes, 79 dislikes

Robin's TIL solo always takes me to the desert surrounding buds trailer in kill bill.

Dice man - I don't have rose coloured glasses, just an opinion that differs to yours about a song. Yes none of the original members have as individuals reached their collective heights, but there are some diamonds in the rough.

CD didn't conform to the single culture of music with the exception of possibly Better. I think the singles were the label's idea. If I was Axl I would see the album as a concept that must be listened in its entirety without pre-judgements on the basis of corporate singles.

I think your mistaken in regard to CD being an album you must listen to in its entirety. It's clearly a copy and paste job. That's my one criticism of the record. It just feels like a mix tape I'd make. No cohesion. But it's a great record.

Who cares about radio singles? Radio is for assholes.. I jest, but I honestly never listen to the radio. Even the genres I like, rock radio will only play the "hits" from the bands. When do I ever hear "Locomotive" on classic rock stations, for example?

"Chinese Democracy" (the song) is awesome. I can't believe there's Guns fans who dislike it. It's one of my favorites, a genuine rocker, and vintage Axl howls. I still remember my heart thumping out of my chest on the way home from Best Buy as I listened to it in my car. Pop the CD in and you hear that trademark scream in the beginning. Goosebumps.

God, I hope to someday have that feeling again with new Axl Rose material.

Those Slash quotes from 95 are fuckin' stupid. I love Pearl Jam and they're great. I don't get it how any musician can hate on PJ they are kind of a blueprint how a band can stay true to their art and not sell out. And their "Ten" sound was true classic rock. What's wrong with Axl wanting to incorporate some PJ elements into GN'R ?

Slash should be banned from talking music for such out of bounds comments, even Keith Richards liked PJ.

I disagree because you have to put them in context. Pearl Jam retrospectively, yeah they stayed true to their sound. I respect them for a band and what they stood for, but I personally detest their music. It sounds awful to me.

But my point is this: Pearl Jam AT THAT TIME was part of the new sound in pop culture. The grunge movement. Axl wanting to jump on that bandwagon, I can see why it turned Slash off. It's like chasing the current "it" sound. Someone brought up Metallica. Perfect example. They did an alternative record and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't Metallica. That's what side projects are about. To me, it screamed of trying to maintain relevancy. Just be Guns N' Roses. That's all.

I like TIL, always have.

It's the nursery rhyme lyrics. Cringeworthy. The gulf in difference between Axl's other ballads and TIL is jawdropping. Serious falling off there, much like the rest of CD with the exception of perhaps TWAT.

Definitely. It's a shame that the same Axl Rose from AFD and UYIs wrote those boring and awful lyrics for Chinese Democracy. Just awful.

Sure...for instance Patience & Don't Cry have much more complex and less 'cheesy' lyrics than TIL....

You said it.

Arre you seriously comparing two classics to the "How now brown cow" jibberish of TIL?

People on this forum wear such rose tinted glasses it is hilarious.

CD has only proven one thing, the mystic surrounding Axl Rose is no more. The Emperor has no clothes. Axl is a busted flush and is no different to the other former members when it comes to quality of output. NONE of them have come close to achieving the same songwriting ability as what they made together. Axl is GNR only in name.

That is entirely your opinion. I think that Chinese Democracy is a worthy follow-up to the UYI albums and is better than any album from any GN'R alumni.

Axl's mistake is assuming we find his self-pity as interesting as Beta does.

CD didn't conform to the single culture of music with the exception of possibly Better. I think the singles were the label's idea. If I was Axl I would see the album as a concept that must be listened in its entirety without pre-judgements on the basis of corporate singles.

"Chinese Democracy" (the song) is awesome. I can't believe there's Guns fans who dislike it.

Instrumentally, it's extremely static with no hook. The riff is really average, but Bucket's parts are nice.

You know when they come close when the band plays Axl and Izzys songs like on AFD and some of illions. Why do they think it was when they just recorded stuff for Axl or Scott to sing on. Even on illusions it was either an Axl or Izzy song.

This I love is the best "power ballad" to come along since Van Halen's Not Enough in 1995. I'm sure some of you will hate on that song as well, but like This I love they are powerful and emotional songs, which is music at it's best. Before that I would say it was Aerosmith's Amazing, then you would have to go back to Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged. I will give an honerable mention to Aerosmith's I don't want to miss a thing, but I don't like that song all that much, but it was a big hit. I may be missing a song here or there, but you get my point. Rock ballads have become extinct. And honestly who didn't love Novemeber Rain the first time they heard it?

Do some of you need a quick history lesson on great rock ballads? They are the songs that really show musicians talent and diversity, and all the legendary bands have them. The Beatles have Let it be, Yesterday, and Hey Jude. Hendrix had Angel, castles made of sand, the wind cries mary. Zeppelin had Babe I'm going to leave you, The rain song, ten years gone, all my love, and the greatest rock ballad of all time Stairway to Heaven. Aerosmith has Dream On, Season's of wither, what it takes, and amazing. Lynyrd Skynrd has Free Bird and Tuesdays gone. Hell even AC/DC has Ride on, and Sabbath has Changes.

Even though rock ballads took a major hit during the 80's because every band was doing them, some really good ones came from that time. Who doesn't like Every Rose has it's thorn, Home sweet Home, Sister Christian, and I'll remember you? But their was a lot of crap during that time, so I understand Slash and Duff's point. But to knock them as a whole is a just plain dumb. Ask Slash if he likes Stairway or Dream On, I bet anything he says yes.

To bring this post full circle, to say that the only good rock ballad (This I love) since 1995 sucks is just plain ignorant. Really, you think that song sucks? It has a screaming guitar solo that stacks right up there with anything Mr. Hudson ever played!!! Is it the softest ballad guns ever did? Probably. But Fall to pieces is pretty soft also. And when I compare the two songs This I love is better on every count. Better music, better lyrics, and better guitar solo.

Maybe people expected his lyrics to have changed from his style of the early nineties the same way his style of writing open letters changed from the early nineties. from heartfelt and simple into complex courtroom style ambivalent lawyerspeak. They didn't, so people felt betrayed.

Oh, snap! Another good one!

This I love is the best "power ballad" to come along since Van Halen's Not Enough in 1995. I'm sure some of you will hate on that song as well, but like This I love they are powerful and emotional songs, which is music at it's best. Before that I would say it was Aerosmith's Amazing, then you would have to go back to Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged. I will give an honerable mention to Aerosmith's I don't want to miss a thing, but I don't like that song all that much, but it was a big hit. I may be missing a song here or there, but you get my point. Rock ballads have become extinct. And honestly who didn't love Novemeber Rain the first time they heard it?

Do some of you need a quick history lesson on great rock ballads? They are the songs that really show musicians talent and diversity, and all the legendary bands have them. The Beatles have Let it be, Yesterday, and Hey Jude. Hendrix had Angel, castles made of sand, the wind cries mary. Zeppelin had Babe I'm going to leave you, The rain song, ten years gone, all my love, and the greatest rock ballad of all time Stairway to Heaven. Aerosmith has Dream On, Season's of wither, what it takes, and amazing. Lynyrd Skynrd has Free Bird and Tuesdays gone. Hell even AC/DC has Ride on, and Sabbath has Changes.

Even though rock ballads took a major hit during the 80's because every band was doing them, some really good ones came from that time. Who doesn't like Every Rose has it's thorn, Home sweet Home, Sister Christian, and I'll remember you? But their was a lot of crap during that time, so I understand Slash and Duff's point. But to knock them as a whole is a just plain dumb. Ask Slash if he likes Stairway or Dream On, I bet anything he says yes.

To bring this post full circle, to say that the only good rock ballad (This I love) since 1995 sucks is just plain ignorant. Really, you think that song sucks? It has a screaming guitar solo that stacks right up there with anything Mr. Hudson ever played!!! Is it the softest ballad guns ever did? Probably. But Fall to pieces is pretty soft also. And when I compare the two songs This I love is better on every count. Better music, better lyrics, and better guitar solo.

So people that don't like the same song that you do are ignorant?

When are people going to realize that music is subjective. And just because you love something doesn't make it brilliant or a classic. It just means that you really like it.

There is a darkness in the lyrics that doesn't come through with the accompanying music, and the solo-work with the guitar is too much of a throwback to the iconic stuff slash did on axl's ballads back in the day.

I think there is a good powerful song in it but the (lack of) artistic production and vision falls flat here.

Oh and the lyrics are not cheesy because that's pretty much exactly what desperate love felt like for me atleast, so I can relate. :D

Edited by phaeryen

Page stated that he and drummer John Bonham "both felt that In Through the Out Door was a little soft. I wasn't really keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, that's not us. That's not us. In its place it was fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to pursue that direction in the future." - Jimmy Page, Guitar World interview

This post is so far off it's not even funny, but I still loled so I guess maybe I shouldn't say that.

Just because This I Love is more theatrical and over the top than any other "rock ballad" in recent years doesn't automatically make it better than anything else, some people dig it, some don't, just like any other song you listed off. Not everybody is into Andrew Lloyd Weber-esque arrangements mixed in with cheesy guitar solos and sappy cliche lyrics, and they don't have to be. Doesn't make their opinions any less valid than those of somebody who enjoys a song like that, doesn't make them ignorant.

Also it's probably worth mentioning that these days rock music isn't so black and white anymore. Sure, theres still party songs and love songs, there will always be that, but rock bands younger than 35 years have ditched the old "rockers and ballads" formula and have been blending the two, if that makes sense. It's not like artists save all of their emotion for the songs about girls.

I could go on and on about how ass backwards retarded it is to compare a flamboyant ballad like This I Love to Dream On or Stairway to Heaven but it'd probably turn into one of those good ole mygnr pissing matches and I'm just not in the mood for :bitchfight: today

so I'm just gunna say; no

Edited by sweetness