The 96' album

Iron MikeyJ

I said this in the crash diet thread but I think it warrants it's own thread. After listening to the unwanted illusions again I couldn't help but think that some of these should have ended up on the 96' album. Not crash diet though, because for one that is npt gnr other than axl, maybe its duff and steven or matt, but I'm not sure of even that. And it is way to 80's metal sounding for 1996, it wouldnt work then at all. I want to say that this album would have been the weakest that gnr had released at this point other than tsi, but sometimes it is better for bands to release something and keep the ball rolling. But with axl being such a perfectionest it would have been hard, but needed.

I present to you all the 1996 gnr album

Bring it back home to me

It tastes good

Fall to pieces

This I love

Just another Sunday

Sentimental movie

The snakepit album

The best of the 95 sessions

This would have and should have worked for the next gnr album. You release bring it back home to me as the first single followed by fall to pieces and finally this I love. Axl gets this I love out there and just another sunday to help feed the direction he was wanting to go in, so he is happy. Slash gets the snakepit material so he is happy. And duff gets sentimental movie so he is happy. And I firmly believe that this album would have worked and been a hit in 1996. Bring it back home to me would have been a hit on mtv, with a sleazy video. It would have said fuck you to all the grunge bands, were guns n fucking roses. And fall to pieces and this I love would have been radio hits, because they are good songs. It tastes good would have been a fun little joke song like get in the ring. They could have toured off of this album for a couple of years, then tried to go back to work on a completly new album, chinese democracy around 2000. Which it still would have taken untill probably 2003 or 2004 to get that, but it would be classic gnr. This my friends is how the gnr story should have gone. Bit I digress.....

I think no matter how good, sleazy or epic it would've been, a new GNR CD would've "flopped" at the time, but would've had tons of promotion money behind it, and would've gone platinum.

Axl should've put an industrial project out with Pitman, Freese, Finck, Youth & Howerdel with Trent Reznor producing (and a few guest appearances) and just put it out there under an assumed name and do a short club tour, and wear a disguise. I think Axl should've put the frontman thing aside for a few years and just had fun creating music, instead of try to outdo himself.

i seriously think trent reznor would never work for somebody like axl rose.

Atleast Trent Reznor openly hated Axl after Axl had recruited Robin to hang out and play guitar in his band with money, Real Madrid style. But back in the nineties... Axl loved NIN of course, and had them tour as the opening act for GNR. Trent was so busy during mid-to-late nineties working on soundtracks and marilyn manson, and touring NIN. I don't think there ever was a time where Axl+Trent could have happened. If you cut out marilyn manson from the picture, then that would have been a nice fit and would love to hear this album never recorded . . . . :P

Atleast Trent Reznor openly hated Axl after Axl had recruited Robin to hang out and play guitar in his band with money, Real Madrid style. But back in the nineties... Axl loved NIN of course, and had them tour as the opening act for GNR. Trent was so busy during mid-to-late nineties working on soundtracks and marilyn manson, and touring NIN. I don't think there ever was a time where Axl+Trent could have happened. If you cut out marilyn manson from the picture, then that would have been a nice fit and would love to hear this album never recorded . . . . :P

I think you could cut Marilyn out, but maybe work with the band he used to write his music in the 90s. Musically, it was pretty high quality stuff in that genre.

Yeah- I actually thought Axl and Trent were on decent terms before they got into a bitch-fest over Robin. I remember at least one interview from the 90s where Trent said that Axl was one of the very few artists that he had a "modicum of respect" for or some such thing...

I think no matter how good, sleazy or epic it would've been, a new GNR CD would've "flopped" at the time, but would've had tons of promotion money behind it, and would've gone platinum.

Axl should've put an industrial project out with Pitman, Freese, Finck, Youth & Howerdel with Trent Reznor producing (and a few guest appearances) and just put it out there under an assumed name and do a short club tour, and wear a disguise. I think Axl should've put the frontman thing aside for a few years and just had fun creating music, instead of try to outdo himself.

I disagree. A new album around then would not of been as big as appetite, lies, or illusions but it would not of flopped. Yes the music industry was quite different during that time, but gnr had the name, reputation, and catalogue to over come those things. Metallica remained relevant, so did van halen, ac/dc, and aerosmith. I see no reason why gnr wouldn't have also. And besides all of us long time fans were still there waiting. Gnr's fan base, as big as it is now, was twice this then. I believe the album that I spoke of in the original post would have gone to #1 and sold around 5 million copies.

I'm going to be honest, aside from Crash Diet, It tastes good, and Ain't going down, I hate all the other "leaks" from that time period and besides, I doubt those were even considered as songs. Slash said axl wanted to do pearl jam and industrial stuff, and none of that fits.

I'm going to be honest, aside from Crash Diet, It tastes good, and Ain't going down, I hate all the other "leaks" from that time period and besides, I doubt those were even considered as songs. Slash said axl wanted to do pearl jam and industrial stuff, and none of that fits.

I think Axl did his usual metaphor explaining and it went over Slash's head.

I don't know how Trent would've fared working with Slash at that time, they prob. would've been getting wasted together, as Trent had some serious demons himself towards the end of the 90s, but he was able to get stuff done. I also think having a producer who knows how to multilayer accordingly, that's something that Reznor is really good at.

If Bon Jovi, Aerosmith and Van Halen could weather the grunge and post-grunge eras, GN'R could have too. A new album with Slash/Axl/Duff in the mid-to-late 90s would have sold a few million copies.

Btw, I don't think that Trent Reznor "hates" Axl or ever did.

Edited by RichardNixon

I disagree. A new album around then would not of been as big as appetite, lies, or illusions but it would not of flopped. Yes the music industry was quite different during that time, but gnr had the name, reputation, and catalogue to over come those things. Metallica remained relevant, so did van halen, ac/dc, and aerosmith. I see no reason why gnr wouldn't have also. And besides all of us long time fans were still there waiting. Gnr's fan base, as big as it is now, was twice this then. I believe the album that I spoke of in the original post would have gone to #1 and sold around 5 million copies.

I think that even a record with no promotion like CD would have been a succes if the band stayed together. No matter what, all the world cared about that guys.

I think that even a record with no promotion like CD would have been a succes if the band stayed together. No matter what, all the world cared about that guys.

Good point- with "world" being the operative word. Alternative/grunge was never as popular internationally as it was in North America IMHO. I remember visiting Europe several times in the mid/late 90s and Guns was STILL massive and considered easily among the top 3-4 bands in the world despite all the turbulence and "rise of grunge", etc.

And besides, by 1996 grunge was almost over. The grunge scene only lasted from aboit 93-95 maybe 96. By the late 90's all that numetal crap had taken over. Honestly I think grunge died when Cobain did. Soundgarden broke up, pearl jam fought with ticketmaster, stp were no longer making great albums, and layne staley was strung out and nearing his death bed. I mean honestly the biggest bands in the world in 1996 were (in no order) green day, pearl jam, rage against the machine, metallica, sublime (after brads death), and probably no doubt. These were my high school years so I remeber the fads quite well. And korn were on the rise and limp bizkit was just starting. Guns n roses would easily been welcomed back around this time. 93 and 94 however might have been a difderent story, hence why tsi bombed like it did.

I'm just saying it was a timing issue with GNR, I think touring 3 years after the Illusions tour would've been too soon for a lot of people, making them wait a few more years while the band got healthier and bringing Izzy back into the band would've been perfect around 1999-2002. Sad thing is, they all had the songs to do it with at the time, all they had to do was get together in the room and be able to play it together. And I blame Slash as much as I do Axl for that.

I'm just saying it was a timing issue with GNR, I think touring 3 years after the Illusions tour would've been too soon for a lot of people, making them wait a few more years while the band got healthier and bringing Izzy back into the band would've been perfect around 1999-2002. Sad thing is, they all had the songs to do it with at the time, all they had to do was get together in the room and be able to play it together. And I blame Slash as much as I do Axl for that.

Definitely agree with you here. By 93/94 GN'R was definitely in need of a hiatus as they had been "over-exposed" during the 91-93 UYI years and the general public was looking for something different for a few years while Guns figured out what was next. I think most people kind of expected that Guns would have had a few years off like they did between AFD and UYI anyway and that in the interim pent up "GN'R demand" would gradually build back up, etc. Little did folks know that Old Guns would fall apart and it would take 15 years and countless line-up changes before the next album would appear...

Definately would not have flopped. GNR were still huge even after the announcement that Slash was gone. They were just to big to flop.

Definitely agree with you here. By 93/94 GN'R was definitely in need of a hiatus as they had been "over-exposed" during the 91-93 UYI years and the general public was looking for something different for a few years while Guns figured out what was next. I think most people kind of expected that Guns would have had a few years off like they did between AFD and UYI anyway and that in the interim pent up "GN'R demand" would gradually build back up, etc. Little did folks know that Old Guns would fall apart and it would take 15 years and countless line-up changes before the next album would appear...

Personally though- I think by 97/98 Guns (with its shit together) would have had every opportunity to re-conqeour the world... especially if they had an aggressive, leaner "comeback" single to lead the charge...

Definately would not have flopped. GNR were still huge even after the announcement that Slash was gone. They were just to big to flop.

Agreed. People definitely weren't sure about Guns w/o Slash- but they were STILL very curious about it. Who do you replace him with? What will Guns sound like, etc.? IMHO quite similar to DLR's first departure from VH- which worked well enough with Hagar after some initial shock/disappointment about DLR leaving...

Yeah- I actually thought Axl and Trent were on decent terms before they got into a bitch-fest over Robin. I remember at least one interview from the 90s where Trent said that Axl was one of the very few artists that he had a "modicum of respect" for or some such thing...

I'd like to read that interview if you have a link.

I was always under the impression that Trent never really liked Axl.

I'd like to read that interview if you have a link.

I was always under the impression that Trent never really liked Axl.

HAHA- so would I! ;)

So far I can't seem to re-locate it.I'll keep looking. To be clear though- it was NOT effusive praise by any means- but it was something...