The National

Snake Eyes

I've not heard anyone mention them, but in the offchance, any fans? They've been my favourite band for a while now. Caught them in Edinburgh last year and it was one of the most intense shows I've seen. For fans of nick cave, leonard cohen, arcade fire, joy division..

Also look up Afraid Of Everyone, The Geese Of Beverly Road, Available, Lemonworld.

• 6 months later...

Great band. Probably one of my favorites at the moment.

Saw them live recently and it was one of the more memorable shows I've been to.

Trouble Will Find Me is my AOTY at the moment. I won't argue that it's there best, or even my favorite –Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers takes the cake for me– but there's just something special about it.

A few tracks from From Trouble Will Find Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdbvZpRUEo

They are a fucking excellent band. Top notch. I'm disappointed I'm not seeing them when they come to AU next month!

Didn't know they were HV! I will be truthful and say I don't know them but they've got a song playing a lot on the radio station I listen to and every time I hear it I'm like "fuck! I love this!" (Don't Swallow the Cap), will definitely check them out now and see if I have a skerrick of a chance in seeing them live. :)

You have great taste in music Snake Eyes! Last time I saw you post it was Nick Cave, Jubilee Street and it sent me into a whole new world. :thumbsup: THANK YOU!!!

Edit: they're playing at Splendour in the Grass, right HV? No chance. :(

Edited by Redhead74

• 1 month later...

I knew I'd seen a thread about The National somewhere. The new (/most recent) record is great. I love it. It's the only record by them I've heard. Looking forward to delving into the rest of their stuff. Will go for the one David Bowie recommended above next unless anyone has any other recommendations of the way to go.

Edited by Chinaski

I knew I'd seen a thread about The National somewhere. The new (/most recent) record is great. I love it. It's the only record by them I've heard. Looking forward to delving into the rest of their stuff. Will go for the one David Bowie recommended above next unless anyone has any other recommendations of the way to go.

Boxer is top notch, too. They don't really have a bad album.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll probably just get it all to be honest.

I've been meaning to give them a listen for so long and I'm glad I finally got round to it. I'm pretty obsessed with Trouble Will Find Me at the minute. I don't know if it's pretty or depressing or pretty and depressing or just pretty depressing but I've been listening to it every evening when I've been out walking and it seems perfect.

Edited by Chinaski

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll probably just get it all to be honest.

I've been meaning to give them a listen for so long and I'm glad I finally got round to it. I'm pretty obsessed with Trouble Will Find Me at the minute. I don't know if it's pretty or depressing or pretty and depressing or just pretty depressing but I've been listening to it every evening when I've been out walking and it seems perfect.

Wow, thats amazing because I've been doing the exact same thing Chinaski! It's a great album and its great to walk to. For me, it's not depressing at all. But it does feel quite deep and profound at times, so for its me more pretty and comforting. :)

One of my favourite songs on the new album is Humiliation. I couldn't help but notice the line "I was in guns and noses". Does anyone know what this refers to? Can't help but think of Guns n Roses because of the fact that the previous line is "I was teething on roses". :lol: Surely, not a coincidence! But what does it mean? Any ideas?

Here's the whole verse:

As the free-fall advances

I'm the moron who dances

Ah

I was teething on roses

I was in guns and noses

Ah

Under the withering white skies of humiliation

• 1 month later...

^Yeah, it's great that he threw in a little GNR reference. Matt's admitted to writing nonsense lyrics just for the hell out of it. He'll go to change it and the guys tell him to keep it there. (I can find the source for this if needed, lol)

New video for "Graceless."

The record has been out since may and it hasn't lost any of its playability for me. I hope they have a few more in them. I'm patient.

Edited by David Bowie

^ Thanks for the explanation! I thought it was strange. :lol:

I agree, the album hasn't lost anything for me either. I was actually about to resurrect this thread because they have just announced an Australian tour early next year. Tickets go on sale next week. :D

Thursday Feb 6, Adelaide

Saturday Feb 8, Sydney

Sunday Feb 9, Melbourne

Tuesday Feb 11, Brisbane

Friday Feb 14, Perth.