Will GNR ever put an instrumental on a studio album?

wasted

Ashba has recorded BOD and Mi Amor. God, I hope they don't wind up on an album.

I wouldn't mind some awesome Axl piano pieces to end up on an album as instrumentals. Or some of those cool 06 jams.

Though I think that is possibly just an instrumental version of a new song, as it gets a little too complex at the end to just be a basic jam.

I think trash style instrumental work like Woodpeck from Mars, or more drum led things. I'm not sure if it's too indulgent for GNR or just they never had anything that really stood alone without lyrics. If Frank went beserker on the drums and Ron started improvising...

It's a great question ! I reckon Axl could pull it off. I guess he has many vocal-free songs in the old secret vault that probably sound great on their own. It's pretty fuckin' ballsy to put one on an album though - so I don't see it ever happening.

Metallica have done a few and they are all brilliant.

I guess an Instrumental has to be a fantastic arrangement of dynamic music that pretty much tells a story all by itself. Axl's up to it.

Again - cool thread :)

I don't know what's wrong with some of you. The idea of an instrumental album or track is cool, but Ballad of Death and Mi Amor... I mean, really?!?!? Both Ron and Bucket have recorded countless better, more complex, more soulful (I could go on...) instrumental tracks and you talk about Ballad of Death? I mean, I know you don't HAVE to know their work and all but even the jam Broski posted and the pre-Maddy jams are much better than those Ashba tunes. In fact that Tokyo jam used to be my favorite until I heard the pre-maddy jam :) both are outstanding imo.

Chinese Democracy, the song, would benefit from all the synthesizer/stolen sample crap would be taken off from infront of the actual song starting. many of you know my sentiment: the thing has three intros on it on the record, completely unnecessary and pretty stupid. The actual song would benefit GREATLY if it would just start with one second of silence that goes -straight- into Robins NIN powerchords.

Ill just add by saying that yeah, why not do an instrumental if they feel like it. those things serve a great purpose on full lengths, you get to rest your ears from the vocalist, so when you come back to regular numbers with vocals they feel fresh again. the basic magic of music making, when you get something great sounding done, you put in the song for a time, then you take it out just because you want to be able to serve the same thing again, fresh. same principle can be applied on full lengths from a bigger perspective.

Edited by phaeryen

Axl's too ballady. I agree the band needs to be unleashed. Frank needs to be unleashed. Bring it Frank. I know he can do more than play AFD. He's got...well, I dont wanna use the word "swag" for obvious reasons, but yea. He's got style, that guy Frank, and lots of cultural influences. Drop that shit Frank.

Think of what could be done if Axl and Izzy got together and limited themselves to one month, with guitar, piano, tambourine, shakers, in a big old echoey house with wooden floors, with a tape recorder, and pressed Record.

Edited by Eu4ic

From what I hear I don't think there'll ever be a new album, let alone the possibility of an instrumental.

It's a bloody shame considering the volumes of music that is allegedly in the vaults

Yeah, the sad truth is that we probably have to outlive Axl before we get to hear these tracks.