Bands You Changed Your Mind On

Chinaski

What are some bands you instinctively disliked that you eventually recognised the magic of?

Or bands you loved at first listen then realised were pretty awful?

I don't mean bands that had periods where you liked them who then got terrible (Kings of Leon would be the obvious example for me) but bands you have noticed you had a complete turnaround on.

When I was really little I thought GNR were the most exciting thing in the world. They were the first band I ever got into. I read somewhere that Nirvana had come along and 'killed bands like GNR' and immediately hated them for it. I was about 10 and there was a kid on my bus who wore a Nirvana hoody who was a dickhead so that probably had something to do with it. Then as I hit my teens I gave them a chance and loved them, and realised that as I explored more I actually didn't get into any of the other bands GNR got lumped in with, Motley Crue, Poison etc.

I always dismissed Manic Street Preachers as a middle-aged dad-rock sort of band as they were the only songs I had heard on the radio. Then one day I saw a piece on Richey Edwards and realised they had some records in their arsenal that I could not believe. The leap from Your Love Alone to Faster is a crazy mental gap to close.

When I first discovered Frank Turner I thought it was great to have found someone who seemed really normal and wrote songs about normal things that seemed to be just for me and my friends. Then I started to feel like they were so immediate and so relatable (I have a guitar, I like beer, I like England etc etc) that there was actually little emotion that I could get from it and I rarely wanted to listen to it over something else.

At first listen I thought RATM were pretty shit then for a couple of years they were the best thing in the world and now I'm not really sure if I find them a bit laughable or just great.

Punk in general I used to listen a lot more but now it's a bit boring. Whereas Pink floyd I could never listen to.

Also Def Leppard and Whitesnake were intolerable but now I think they are pretty good.

Kiss, I think the first one I heard was Crazy Nights. But recently got their first two and can see why they are popular.

Chili peppers and GNR are the two bands that seemed to keep putting out records in time with my taste.

Springsteen and Dylan probably the two biggest growers.

Me too with the punk thing, but the opposite of you Wasted. For many years as I was growing up I dismissed it as I couldn't relate to it, but amazingly enough it was Lenny that enlightened me and in addition to an older mind that has experienced things that a younger person doesn't understand, I now love it. Sex Pistols, Iggy and the Stooges, PiL are all awesome, and as it turns out Talking Heads, which I have always loved since a teenager and didn't realise were actually quite punk. :lol:

Marilyn Manson is another that I always dismissed because his goth look always kind of disturbed me but Dazey got me to listening to his Mechanical Animals album (among many others) and it's been one of my favourites over the last few months.

Thanks guys! :)

Edited by Redhead74

lol Where is LUCIUSFUNK when you need him?!

On topic: I never liked Bruce Springsteen when I was younger, but then, by chance, I saw one of his concerts... and I was utterly astonished. Since that day I'm obsessed with that man and his E street band.

On the other hand, I loved Muse at the begining, but now...meh.

Edited by izzygirl

I never went from like to dislike, or vice versa. Even if an album gets bad reviews, if I got to hear it, I usually found something about it that was good. If an album doesn't age well, I have to listen to it in context of when it was made.

Sometimes I wish bands would remix some of their stuff so it sounds more "classic", not dated. I do think a good band with a poorly produced album should go back in the studio when they have some money and re-record it, even though the purists would miss the feel of it, but it should be done at that time, not 10-20 years later.

On topic: I never liked Bruce Springsteen when I was younger, but then, by chance, I saw one of his concerts... and I was utterly astonished. Since that day I'm obsessed with that man and his E street band.

On the other hand, I loved Muse at the begining, but now...meh.

I'm right here...why ?

I used to hate Marilyn Mandon, too. Now I like maybe four songs. Just not into it.

I didn't like Nine Inch Nails until I listened to The Downward Spiral.

Edited by luciusfunk

Queen - for a long time I just didn't "get it" I suppose. I really liked Brian May's guitar playing though so I decided to check out a few live videos. I was sold.

Zeppelin - I didn't check out any Zeppelin for a while when I first got into music. No particular reason, just hadn't got to them yet. When I did, honestly, I was disappointed. I had heard so much about the "greatest band in the world" from so many different people who were always going "You gotta check out Zeppelin!" and that kind of thing. I felt they didn't live up to the hype. I still feel that way to an extent, but I later revisited them, put expectations aside, and just enjoyed the great music for what it is.

Iron Maiden - I always liked Maiden (they were one of the first bands a friend of mine got into in late elementary school/early high school, so I heard tons of their material) but never pursued getting any of their albums or really giving them a listen. I eventually picked up a couple and starting getting into them. Later I got Flight 666 and really enjoyed both the concert clips and documentary. This past summer my interest peaked when I saw them live for the first time.

Van Halen - I laugh at this one now because I am literally obsessed with Van Halen. My dad had the first album on cassette and I remember popping it in when I was 10 and just learning guitar and being blown away by Eruption. I thought I was hooked. Then I got to high school and nobody would shut up in my guitar classes about Van Halen and how Eruption is the epitome of guitar playing. I grew to hate Van Halen quickly. :lol: Of course, I brushed that aside and revisited them later on, including finally giving the Hagar years a go.

I'm right here...why ?

Cos some posts over here reminded me of something you said the other day.. you were so fuckin' right!

On topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers - I loved them but I'm a little bit tired of them now.

Edited by izzygirl

I hated Guns N' Roses. ESPECIALLY Axl. I thought Axl was the biggest dirtbag on the face of the planet, a waste of space, and would be better off dead. I intensely hated him.

On topic: I never liked Bruce Springsteen when I was younger

This, too! I always disliked Bruce Springsteen quite a bit. I dismissed him as a pop guy disguised as rock with shallow lyrics and no talent. I was so embarrassingly wrong.

I hated Guns N' Roses. ESPECIALLY Axl. I thought Axl was the biggest dirtbag on the face of the planet, a waste of space, and would be better off dead. I intensely hated him.

On topic: I never liked Bruce Springsteen when I was younger

This, too! I always disliked Bruce Springsteen quite a bit. I dismissed him as a pop guy disguised as rock with shallow lyrics and no talent. I was so embarrassingly wrong.

I dismissed Bruce as a liberal douchebag looking for attention by promoting presidential candidates.

I still don't care for the guy personally, but I like a few of his songs. I got Born in the USA at Best Buy for $4.99, though.

I'm right here...why ?

Cos some posts over here reminded me of something you said the other day.. you were so fuckin' right!

On topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers - I loved them but I'm a little bit tired of them now.

I think I know what you're talking about, now.

I liked The Darkness for a while until they released their sophomore album.

Edited by luciusfunk

I fucking HATED Queens of the Stone Age for years after my brother tried to turn me on to them. Every once in a while I'd give Songs for the Deaf a spin and try to see what he thought was so great, but I just did not like it at all. Then, one day, the whole album just clicked with me and all of a sudden I loved it and the band.

In the reverse, I absolutely loved Muse a few years ago before The Resistance came out. Everything up to and including BHaR was great, but after The Resistance was a total dud and their live show was all flash and no substance, I fell off the wagon. The 2nd Law didn't do much to sway be back to their side, either.

Guest Len B'stard

Rolling Stones but it's slowly changing back :lol: Uh, The Clash, i always liked their first album but i never thought much of the rest for a long long time, too long a time because it's some of the most fantastic music that i've ever heard in my life. Led Zeppelin i kinda half liked for a couple of weeks but i think that was little more than me just REALLY giving them a go, simply cuz they're so many people say they're so great, kinda wanted in on it but nahhh, nothing there i'm afraid. For me anyway. Can't really think of anymore. When i like a band it's kinda permanent 99.999999% of the time.

bands i disliked on the first listen or so now like

the misfits

destroyer 666

type o negative

toxic holocaust

the eagles

bands i loved that i really dont listen to anymore

pantera

kid rock

Edited by bran

Rolling Stones but it's slowly changing back :lol: Uh, The Clash, i always liked their first album but i never thought much of the rest for a long long time, too long a time because it's some of the most fantastic music that i've ever heard in my life. Led Zeppelin i kinda half liked for a couple of weeks but i think that was little more than me just REALLY giving them a go, simply cuz they're so many people say they're so great, kinda wanted in on it but nahhh, nothing there i'm afraid. For me anyway. Can't really think of anymore. When i like a band it's kinda permanent 99.999999% of the time.

Same here. I appreciate what Zeppelin did, I just don't enjoy their music.