Marc - why in your opinion is Hard Rock dead in the USA ?

Hi Marc. You've lived through the golden times of American Hard Rock music and was intimately involved in the biggest band of them all.

So what in your opinion is the reason Rock music is so dead in the USA these days? And has been for a long time?

From all I've heard it's not even as half as popular as it once was yet in many other countries around the world, such as my own Australia, it is still very much loved.

While on the topic, I dont think it's dead, but most of the genuine big rock bands are just bands still around from the 80s/90s. Of the recent big bands, you have a metal/nu-metal group (eg Linkin Park/Slipknot/System of a Down, etc) and a old style rock group (eg Black Keys, Kings of Leon, previously White Stripes), and while those bands are big, I don't think they match what the big bands were like in the 80s/90s.

Marc is right though, there's a fair bit more choice and the media these days makes it easier to 'find' your new favourite band, plus the shift from rock to electronic is changing every year. Even corporate whore 'rock' bands like Maroon 5, Nickelback, Coldplay, Matchbox 20 etc are going the autotune route.

Since when does Marc's opinion on the music industry matter? I mean, no offense to the guy at all or anything, but let's be real.

Well I guess if I need to justify my question to you all mighty wfse then I suppose Marc has lived in the Epicenter of one of Rock's coolest periods. Both in time and the geographical location. Also as I alluded to in my original post - Marc was intimately involved in the inner sanctum of one of the biggest bands ever. So I guess he might know a thing or two about the culture and essence of Hard Rock.

I just think it's weird that Slash can play here in Australia to big crowds and yet only pull small crowds in the US, likewise with Axl and GnR - they can get crowds around 10,000 or more to a show here but yet struggle in the USA to get just a couple of thousand.

I was wondering what was the most popular music in the USA and why? Is it because the likes of the big rappers have massive posters of themselves in Times Square promoting fragrances etc... ( E.g big marketing campaigns) and the American public have become more inclined to follow image rather than good music? I don't know?

So wfse - do you have any reasonable comments or just more wanker remarks ???

Since when is hard rock dead lol

Ok maybe not completely dead, but c'mon you've got to admit it is a long way off where it used to be in terms of popularity? ( In the USA I'm refering to... )

At least two blues rock albums were nominated for Grammies this year.

I'd say its doing alright.

I just think it's weird that Slash can play here in Australia to big crowds and yet only pull small crowds in the US, likewise with Axl and GnR - they can get crowds around 10,000 or more to a show here but yet struggle in the USA to get just a couple of thousand.

Don't you realize if GNR and Slash played as infrequently in the states as they do in Australia that the crowds in the US would be much, much bigger? It's all about supply & demand mate, nothing to do with popularity in particularly countries. Over the past couple years GNR has had what, four concerts in Australia? During that same time period they've played in the states FIFTY SEVEN times. The fewer the shows in a particular country, the greater the demand for those few shows.

Since when does Marc's opinion on the music industry matter? I mean, no offense to the guy at all or anything, but let's be real.

Well I guess if I need to justify my question to you all mighty wfse then I suppose Marc has lived in the Epicenter of one of Rock's coolest periods. Both in time and the geographical location. Also as I alluded to in my original post - Marc was intimately involved in the inner sanctum of one of the biggest bands ever. So I guess he might know a thing or two about the culture and essence of Hard Rock.

I was wondering what was the most popular music in the USA and why? Is it because the likes of the big rappers have massive posters of themselves in Times Square promoting fragrances etc... ( E.g big marketing campaigns) and the American public have become more inclined to follow image rather than good music? I don't know?

So wfse - do you have any reasonable comments or just more wanker remarks ???

And ... TREATED. haha

DownUnder, don't listen to the folks trying to defend rock music in the US. It's fucking dead and gone, dude. People don't give a shit about real R&R any more, not in the mainstream, which is what you're referring to. It isn't like the '80s and early '90s when I grew up.

Don't you realize if GNR and Slash played as infrequently in the states as they do in Australia that the crowds in the US would be much, much bigger? It's all about supply & demand mate, nothing to do with popularity in particularly countries. Over the past couple years GNR has had what, four concerts in Australia? During that same time period they've played in the states FIFTY SEVEN times. The fewer the shows in a particular country, the greater the demand for those few shows.

Yeah I totally get that - you make a good point. I saw Slash play here in my home city just a few months ago and several thousand people were in the crowd. That was the fourth time in 2 years he has played here and each time he has been extremely well supported. If Slash played four times in the past two years in your city of residence do you think that crowds would be that big ?

Also the USA has nearly 300 million more people than my country too. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the popularity of R&R in the U.S. ...

It's probably multifactorial. I guess the U.S economy has been terrible for a while now so people may have less disposable income for shows etc...

I guess I am genuinely curious as to what's happening with the music scene in the U.S when I read about lack of music videos , decreased music sales etc... :shrugs:

I guess I am genuinely curious as to what's happening with the music scene in the U.S when I read about lack of music videos , decreased music sales etc... :shrugs:

YouTube has a lot to do with both. That's where videos are released nowadays, even Prince has a brand new video on YouTube. And that's also where you can hear and download full albums. Apocalyptic Love has been there for a while, although at least one of them has since been pulled. Appetite for Destruction is there right now. Why spend money on full albums when they can be downloaded for free, or you can buy just the songs that interest you.

YouTube has a lot to do with both. That's where videos are released nowadays, even Prince has a brand new video on YouTube. And that's also where you can hear and download full albums.

Apocalyptic Love has been there for a while, although at least one of them has since been pulled. Appetite for Destruction is there right now. Why spend money on full albums when they can be downloaded for free, or you can buy just the songs that interest you.

That all makes sense. I didn't know Prince has a new video on Youtube - cool, i'll have to check it out.

I find it interesting how it's all changed a fair bit since the 80's & 90's and I wonder if GnR need to do things differently and move with the times if they want to succeed and also just getting funding for new albums etc... ?

YouTube has a lot to do with both. That's where videos are released nowadays, even Prince has a brand new video on YouTube. And that's also where you can hear and download full albums.

Apocalyptic Love has been there for a while, although at least one of them has since been pulled. Appetite for Destruction is there right now. Why spend money on full albums when they can be downloaded for free, or you can buy just the songs that interest you.

That all makes sense. I didn't know Prince has a new video on Youtube - cool, i'll have to check it out.

I find it interesting how it's all changed a fair bit since the 80's & 90's and I wonder if GnR need to do things differently and move with the times if they want to succeed and also just getting funding for new albums etc... ?

This is probably why Axl doesn't even give a shit about the next record. There's no money in it. Might as well keep the nostalgia tour running because touring is how to get cash.