In your estimation, what percentage of people know that Axl is the sole remaining original member?

saber_

This is a subject which often gets mentioned in discussions around here. There seems to be some debate (or rather, a lack of consensus) among dedicated fans as to just how familiar casual fans (and/or the general rock n 'roll public) are with nΣw Guns. While it is certainly true that many casual fans don't know who is in the band currently, I would argue that many casual fans do indeed know that Axl is the last original member in the band. Do you agree?

Given the 2002 VMAs, Velvet Revolver's notoriety/success, Slash's prominence in the media, various articles in the press, the release of Chinese Democracy, and all the years that have passed, among other things, I think casual fans are quite aware Slash/Duff/Matt/etc are not in the band anymore.

In your estimation, what percentage of people know that Axl is the sole remaining original member? What is your rationale for your opinion?

This is a subject which often gets mentioned in discussions around here. There seems to be some debate (or rather, a lack of consensus) among dedicated fans as to just how familiar casual fans (and/or the general rock n 'roll public) are with nΣw Guns. While it is certainly true that many casual fans don't know who is in the band currently, I would argue that many casual fans do indeed know that Axl is the last original member in the band. Do you agree?

Given the 2002 VMAs, Velvet Revolver's notoriety/success, Slash's prominence in the media, various articles in the press, the release of Chinese Democracy, and all the years that have passed, among other things, I think casual fans are quite aware Slash/Duff/Matt/etc are not in the band anymore.

In your estimation, what percentage of people know that Axl is the sole remaining original member? What is your rationale for your opinion?

I'd say over 90% of casual fans, although every once in a while Dizzy will be lumped together with Axl like this: "Rose and keyboardist Dizzy Reed are the only remaining members of the seminal Guns N' Roses lineup that also included guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler."

Dizzy and Adler were bandmates for only about 6 months, so technically the writer is not wrong.

You guys are smoking crack.

I'd estimate that at best maybe 25% of the general public are aware that Slash isn't in the band. To everyone outside these boards, GNR=AXL and Slash. Period.

If they hear that Guns N Roses are coming to town, a good 75% of the people would expect to see the band they remember from MTV in the 90s.

Speaking for America, of course.

My 90% answer is in regard to casual fans, asked by the OP as follows:

"While it is certainly true that many casual fans don't know who is in the band currently, I would argue that many casual fans do indeed know that Axl is the last original member in the band. Do you agree?"

But I see how the question is phrased several different ways by the OP, thus explaining why people may have completely different answers.

All people ever cared about was Axl and Slash being in guns n roses. Notice that other than these here message boards no one on earth ever bitches about duff and izzy not being in the band...

People at shows yell ''wheres slash'' not wheres duff or izzy lmao...

You mean in 3rd world countries? The only places where folks are cool with Axl pretending t's nineteen ninety fucking two?

Enough with being an Axl fan already!!! Fuck him he doesn't even have the fucking balls to release what dj slashba believes is magical material...

I've met some people who were like, "It's not the original band though, is it? It's, what, just the guitar player or something right?" and I've just laughed, because I read people on here who take things so seriously and then hear some random person have a comment like that :lol:

I'd say more people are aware that Slash isn't around than are aware that Axl's the only original, but as has been stated, GNR to most people is Axl + Slash, so it doesn't really make a difference eh? Although it's kinda funny that nobody really regards Dizzy as new or old, he's just sorta unnoticed.

Not sure, but I think the people who aren't really fans of GNR think they're not around anymore.

Last year, I was wearing a new GNR shirt that I got at the Dallas show and some guy with his wife said Guns N Roses, are they still around?

One of my daughters friends, asked when we were going to Vegas to see GNR, if we were seeing the Axl GNR or the Slash GNR? lol My daughter said there is no Slash GNR, just Axl's GNR.

I think if you were just a fan who followed them back when MTV played their videos, most people have no idea that Axl is still around with a new lineup for GNR.

I guess fans like us are pretty much the ones who know what's going on with Axl and GNR now.

I don't know where some of you are getting this 90% from, it's way less than that, and I'd guess the fans in Latin American are more aware than those elsewhere.

For the UK I'd say 21% tops, and that's generous. People stopped following GNR years ago. A while back, Aerosmith were guests on the Jonathan Ross show, (it's like a UK Leno/Letterman), they were talking about Slash's artwork for their new album, and the host referred to him as "Slash from GNR". That sums it up. Slash is forever linked to GNR, the vast majority of people think he is still in the band, and that was probably the first time they'd heard mention of GNR in over a decade.

Outside of the rock media, people just don't know what happened to them. They simply faded away. Plus there's a tendency to over-estimate the reach and relevancy of the rock media, which is a dying format.

And just because Slash was successful with VR, that doesn't mean all those fans, or the general public, think he's out of GNR. There are lots of reasons why, but this is mostly because GNR's reach in their heyday was so huge, and current GNR is so invisible to the mainstream, it doesn't matter how successful Slash is with his other projects, more people will always think he's in GNR than be aware of his other bands.

Also nuGNR were inactive for a long time, they don't have much of a presence within the mainstream media, most people are not aware they are currently touring or are active in any way. So if an average person sees Slash, (who has a higher mainstream profile than Axl and nuGNR), in a new band, that doesn't mean they think GNR is still going without him, rather they think GNR has stopped. They'd still expect to see him in GNR if a tour came to their town.

Edited by Babooshka

I used to think it was really widely known, but that's actually not the case. I've encountered people who know Axl and have never heard Slash's name before. :blink: I thought if anything it'd be the other way around. Anyway, I'd say 65%. I think for the most part it's known, but then there's the percentage of people living under a rock.

90%

the remaining 10% mostly are stupid latin american fans

Hey you racist ass hole, why would we the latin american fans be stupid? show some respect and think a litlle bit before writting in your computer, motherfucker!

I think he meant "Latin American fans that are stupid." As in the stupid fans that are Latin American, not that all Latin American fans are stupid. Poor wording, though.

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

think he meant "Latin American fans that are stupid." As in the stupid fans that are Latin American, not that all Latin American fans are stupid. Poor wording, though.

Oh don't do PR for crash diet. It was stereotyping, plain and simple. There was no wording issue. He knew exactly what he was typing. And he deserved to be checked.

On topic:

How much of an impact do you think the internet has had on the public's awareness? One could argue that some of the older casual fans, from the 80's, may not utilize the internet as younger people do.