GN'R Guitarists and Gangnam Style

Tyler Drama

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like giving a lot of money to a painter that sucks. Sure, some people may like the final result of the paints, but in the end he still sucks and there will be no room for real painters.

That's not quite the same thing because obviously Psy is good at making catchy dance songs.

Partially because of these folks the music industry sucks right now and we will not see another Zep or Beatles again. There's almost no room for good music on the mainstream scene.

But usually bands like those break into the industry when it's at its lowest point, so bands like those have the best chance of breaking right now. :D Besides, the Beatles didn't originally get popularity for their deep, experimental, intriguing songs; they got it for their shallow, stereotypical pop songs.

Several top 30 videoclips are just stupid men fucking bitches, there's no message or meaning behind them.

Like I said, this isn't much different than when Poison was popular.

I just happen to hate all of that. I'm not saying that they should listen to a certain genre - but they should simply stop listening to what MTV or YouTube tells them to listen to. I know countless people like that, sadly. I'm not talking about music or art only - these people just go through the motions and follow what's cool out there, and that makes them uncool to me.

I agree with this. If they genuinely love that music, good for them. But if they're just listening to it because it's popular and on CHR, I get annoyed.

I encourage you all to research Psy and see what a poor excuse for a human being he is. The shit he said/sang about American soldiers was just plain wrong, and he should be raked over the coals for it. I don't give a shit if he apologized, some things you just can't take back. To add insult to injury, he is conveniently ignorant of history and who, exactly, sacrificed their lives for his fucking country.

CNN was able to translate the lyrics as saying," Kill those f--ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives and those who ordered them to torture," and going on to say, "Kill them all slowly and painfully," as well as "daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers."

PSY apologizes for viral anti-American lyrics

So I'm glad Bumblefoot didn't play that stupid song. Plus Psy's 15 minutes ended when 2012 ended. Buh bye.

I never understood the gangnam style phenomenon. A chubby metrosexual korean man who can't dance singing a song which isn't even that catchy.

Perhaps he was aiming to capture the North Korean market.

so weird that THIS qualifies as gnr talk. but discussions about slash belong in a different section.

sad.

Oh booo hooo! Cry moar. How outrageous of them to separate new Guns and old Guns! How dare they! Take it up with the mods and stop bitching. Or leave. But we know you won't leave, because you like the attention.

What is sad is that there is no actual news to discuss about. Especially news that have to do with the very essence of any musician, music.

Then leave. No one will miss you. Not a single person. No one gives a shit about your whining, complaining, and angry fixation on some lineup that's been gone for 15+ years.

It's like giving a lot of money to a painter that sucks. Sure, some people may like the final result of the paints, but in the end he still sucks and there will be no room for real painters.

That's not quite the same thing because obviously Psy is good at making catchy dance songs.

Well, kinda. The painter would have his strenghts, just like Psy's "good" at writing catchy songs. Well, to be honest I'm pretty sure he doesn't even write his own songs, just like most shitty pop acts out there but I could be wrong. In the end they suck at creating art but suceed on entertaining people, I know. Not the kinda art I enjoy listening/viewing to, but that's me.

(Turns out that I was right, he didn't even write the song...)

Partially because of these folks the music industry sucks right now and we will not see another Zep or Beatles again. There's almost no room for good music on the mainstream scene.

But usually bands like those break into the industry when it's at its lowest point, so bands like those have the best chance of breaking right now. :D Besides, the Beatles didn't originally get popularity for their deep, experimental, intriguing songs; they got it for their shallow, stereotypical pop songs.

Yes, but they got to be the biggest band because they were the best at their time, they evolved a lot musically over the years and so did the whole music industry after them. If they didn't evolve I doubt they'd be as big and as influential as they are. Obviously nowadays you can't be as innovative as those bands, but good bands lost their space on the mainstream charts due to musicians that like to entertain rather than write something meaningful.

We still have great and amazing acts to listen to, but we just have to search further. That's how I discovered bands like Freak Kitchen, Bumblefoot, Shawn Lane & Jonas Hellborg The Aristocrats, Primus, etc.

Several top 30 videoclips are just stupid men fucking bitches, there's no message or meaning behind them.

Like I said, this isn't much different than when Poison was popular.

Yes, I totally agree with you, and that's why I can't stand bands like Poison and Motley Crue as well. :)

You guys are such babies. Oh no, Buckethead is having fun dancing to a top 40 song! How dare he have fun at a concert doing the same thing he did when he was in GNR! That son of a bitch!

Does he not wear actual buckets anymore, though? I've seen the baby head mask and a weird ghost mask.

Well, kinda. The painter would have his strenghts, just like Psy's "good" at writing catchy songs. Well, to be honest I'm pretty sure he doesn't even write his own songs, just like most shitty pop acts out there but I could be wrong. In the end they suck at creating art but suceed on entertaining people, I know. Not the kinda art I enjoy listening/viewing to, but that's me.

(Turns out that I was right, he didn't even write the song...)

Well, then he's good at selecting catchy songs. :P I think I'm in the minority in that it doesn't bother me when someone doesn't write their own music, but I understand your point of view. Especially since some of the pop songs could literally be sung by anybody.

Yes, but they got to be the biggest band because they were the best at their time, they evolved a lot musically over the years and so did the whole music industry after them. If they didn't evolve I doubt they'd be as big and as influential as they are. Obviously nowadays you can't be as innovative as those bands, but good bands lost their space on the mainstream charts due to musicians that like to entertain rather than write something meaningful.

I meant that they attained a huge portion of their popularity (at the time) from their lame songs. So who knows? Maybe a lame ass band will come along, monopolize top 40 radio, and then release the best songs ever. Really unlikely, though. :lol:

I do think entertainment is the #1 factor in top 40 radio now. Every pop culture junkie I talk to says that they prefer an entertaining performance over stunning vocals and meaningful music.

We still have great and amazing acts to listen to, but we just have to search further. That's how I discovered bands like Freak Kitchen, Bumblefoot, Shawn Lane & Jonas Hellborg The Aristocrats, Primus, etc.

I think that's a good thing. :) I think it's better to search for an artist and fall in love organically rather than being force-fed. Unfortunately, CHR is starting to force-feed (imo bad) pop tunes as of late.

Well, then he's good at selecting catchy songs. :P I think I'm in the minority in that it doesn't bother me when someone doesn't write their own music, but I understand your point of view. Especially since some of the pop songs could literally be sung by anybody.

No, it doesn't bother me at all the fact that he didn't write the song. I just think that he's a talentless retard (his "dancing moves" kinda makes me think that but I could be wrong, but probably I am not :lol:) that the industry's using to earn money, nothing else. Elvis didn't write most of his own music, but he was not riding an imaginary horse and jumping/running like a dumb headless chicken :lol: he had talent. The industry used him to earn money, yes, but he had a lot of musicianship in him, unlike most (maybe all? I don't even know most of them) of these top 40 guys.

I meant that they attained a huge portion of their popularity (at the time) from their lame songs. So who knows? Maybe a lame ass band will come along, monopolize top 40 radio, and then release the best songs ever. Really unlikely, though. :lol:

I do think entertainment is the #1 factor in top 40 radio now. Every pop culture junkie I talk to says that they prefer an entertaining performance over stunning vocals and meaningful music.

That's what I hate about "music" nowadays. It's not about music or quality anymore. Can you imagine if Freddie or Jimi were born today? They wouldn't stand a chance to make an impact I'm afraid.

I think that's a good thing. :) I think it's better to search for an artist and fall in love organically rather than being force-fed. Unfortunately, CHR is starting to force-feed (imo bad) pop tunes as of late.

Yes, that's what's bad about music industry. But we still have great bands out there, some of these are known bands - there's still hope. :lol:

so weird that THIS qualifies as gnr talk. but discussions about slash belong in a different section.

sad.

What is sad is that there is no actual news to discuss about. Especially news that have to do with the very essence of any musician, music.

You mean you expect a professional musician to produce new music occasionally? So...how do you like your Haterade, hater? With ice, or served at room temperature?

sad.

You mean you expect a professional musician to produce new music occasionally?

And yet... and yet... all 3 of you post in this section almost every day. Stop and think for a moment...

You aren't satisfied with the band, yet you come here and post in the section that is dedicated to post 2001 Guns. In fact, all 3 of you post in it quite a bit. What does that say about you? Think real hard now.

And none of you have very many posts in the original guns section. Why is that? Could it be because you're not really the diehard old school fans you portray yourselves to be? Because if you're not the old school diehard fans you want us to believe you are, then what are you?

Edited by brainsaber

sad.

You mean you expect a professional musician to produce new music occasionally?

And yet... and yet... all 3 of you post here quite a bit. Stop and *think* for a moment. You aren't satisfied with the band, yet you come here and post in the section that is dedicated to post 2001 Guns. In fact, all 3 of you post in it quite a bit. What does that say about you? Think real hard now.

And none of you have very many posts in the original guns section. Why is that? Could it be because you're not really the diehard old school fans you portray yourselves to be? Because if you're not the old school diehard fans you want us to believe you are, then what are you?

Y'all see what I mean when I say this cat "looks for fights"? Waaah, waaah. Give me attention. Bitch, take some Nyquil, and go to bed.