Can anyone here play the Shacklers Revenge solo?

Towelie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fretless guitar is not that hard to learn, don't exaggerate. This is easy to play if you know how to play fretless. The tapping etc. is all standard stuff too these days. Cello is much more difficult to play, has no frets either. Hundreds of thousands are playing fretless guitar and much more advanced than BBFs predictable slides and fart noises.

You're plain wrong, though. Here's what a fretless guitar virtuoso has to say on the subject...

I like Ron Thal's playing. I don't mean this to sound too harsh, but to me, most fretless players sound like average guitarists playing terribly out of tune. Most have a long way to go in developing good fretless tone. That's why I like Ron - he sounds like Ron. I recommend players to listen to our tracks on the "FRETLESS GUITAR MASTERS" CD. A lot can be learned from tunes like "Ambiguity" and "Children of Sierra Leone".

So a friend of BBF praises him who also praises him back in other interviews promoting each other? It is how the industry works, you rub my back, I rub yours, free promotion. People who fall for this kind of talk are very naive. Look at him praising himself by recommending people listen to his song if they want to hear some amazing fretless. Embarrassing.

They lie if they say fretless is hard, especially if they stay in the chromatic scale. If it is so hard on the guitar, it must be impossible on the violin, which is even harder to stay in key on because of the smaller and more detailed fingerings. But yet we have millions of violinists playing in perfect pitch.

If you are playing fretless with microtones, now that is hard. Like Turkish musician Erkan Ogur does, who is the inventor of the fretless classical guitar. Perfectly played, although the Western ear will tell you it is off-key because of the microtones:

E-bow fretless electric:

Electric fretless improvisation:

BBF or Donahue don't even come close to what Erkan Ogur does on fretless, not even on the same planet. Anyone can use lots of distortion and then slide their finger to the proper position on the guitar neck, then make fart noises (Shackler solo). But to play music?

No offense, I thought both of those were awful. I have no doubt Ron could do that

See:

If you are playing fretless with microtones, now that is hard. Perfectly played, although the Western ear will tell you it is off-key because of the microtones

Nothing about it was awful, except maybe that you do not prefer that type of music, which is fine. But the playing was exceptional in those clips, could not be more detailed and precise.

And BBF could not play that. He has absolute (perfect) pitch (based on the chromatic scale), a taught version of it, meaning microtones are alien to him. Especially the way it is played by people like Erkan Ogur. Irony being that microtonal music is actually more in tune than notes based on the chromatic scale. Thank the Western church for calling it the tones of Satan and outlawing it a thousand years ago.

Edited by llllll

So a friend of BBF praises him

Uh, no. He's simply a fretless guitar player. And he praised Ron's fretless playing. You're just trying to bring up bullshit arguments to fit your agenda. I don't care about your fretless masters, they have no relevance here.

You claimed something really stupid about the man's fretless playing (Hint: it's *not* about the Shackler's solo) and I know you're ignorant on the subject. I suggest you to do a little more research, then you come back.

You know that microtones are an alien to him, really? Have you ever talked to him? Better yet, why don't you check him doing that kinda stuff before claiming something like that? Because he's got active absolute pitch and people that actually *know* him can vouche for that - not that it's really needed since his perfect intonation kinda proves us that.

So a friend of BBF praises him

Uh, no. He's simply a fretless guitar player. And he praised Ron's fretless playing. You're just trying to bring up bullshit arguments to fit your agenda. I don't care about your fretless masters, they have no relevance here.

You claimed something really stupid about the man's fretless playing (Hint: it's *not* about the Shackler's solo) and I know you're ignorant on the subject. I suggest you to do a little more research, then you come back.

You know that microtones are an alien to him, really? Have you ever talked to him? Better yet, why don't you check him doing that kinda stuff before claiming something like that? Because he's got active absolute pitch and people that actually *know* him can vouche for that - not that it's really needed since his perfect intonation kinda proves us that.

Always easy to detect an obsessed rabid nutswinger. They start attacking the poster aggressively instead of talking about the subject because someone dared to criticize their little god. Everything I said was relevant to what I was responding to and factual. Read back without the fanboy glasses. Your response shows you cannot read properly.

Now, post a clip of BBF playing in microtones ;)

If Ron can't play microtonal stuff he is not a good fretless player? LOL.

Quote me where that was said. In the 2 years orso I haven't posted on this forum, I forgot most here cannot read properly. Discussing factual things don't go over very well ;)

I said playing fretless in the chromatic scale (which is what BBF does) is easy compared to playing fretless in microtones. That is a fact. And the true masters of the fretless play in microtones because musically there is much more to explore there. Chromatic is limited compared to microtonal.

People here claiming playing fretless is hard, have never tried it or they really suck at everything they try. Within a week of practice you feel where the notes are and don't even think about it. BBF is good at fretless in chromatic like tens of thousands are, nothing special like the fanboys want to make you believe. Anyway, waiting for those microtonal clips of BBF like the other guy claimed BBF does :P

Because another fellow fretless guitar player would be a fanboy, yes. Stop saying that "fanboy" thing. It is pretty clear that this argument is invalid. You say that because you have no other argument.

Like I said, it is pretty clear that you are ignorant on the subject, but lets find out how much. Apart from Shackler's, what other song have you heard Bumblefoot playing fretless on?

Yet again, weak reply ignoring before mentioned facts ;) It is 'fans' like you that make people dislike BBF/Axl/Slash/Easter Bunny because you respond in irrational ways to a discussion by leaving out huge parts mentioned and filling it in with bullshit you pulled out of your ass because someone does not worship your idol.

I asked 2 times for a microtonal fretless part played by BBF. That was the initial point you ridiculed. You totally ignoring this request proves who won that argument ;)

Then the nullifying of the masters of the fretless who play mainly microtonal music with fretless, because that is musically more challenging. Yes, they are more advanced than BBF on fretless who plays chromatic only (well, mainly slides, whistles/farts and country licks). BBF would admit they are more advanced. Why so mad about it?

Get this: the main reason the fretless guitar was invented, was to be able to play 'in between' the chromatic notes and explore the music through microtones, hence that being the main goal of the masters of the fretless. Anyone nullifying the microtonal part of the instrument and the masters who play it that way, are the ones who do not know what they are talking about ... namely, the reason the instrument itself exists ;)

Playing just in the chromatic scale on fretless is like buying a race car and only doing groceries with it. You can do that of course and enjoy that, your money, but the ones driving it hard on a race track are using it properly, getting the most out of it, pushing the boundaries of what is possible with it. Hence they would be the more advanced drivers.

The chromatic way is easy to learn for anyone who already plays guitar and isn't totally hopeless at guitar. Just because your idol plays it does not mean you have to portray it like something impossible. Just practice ;)

Inb4 another blinded fanboy reply, see first paragraph. Enough tutoring from me, deuces but only after another annoying ;)

Edited by llllll

I told you to check him out for yourself. I dont care about your fretless heroes, never asked about them. I dont care who is more avanced or not - pretty sure you wouldnt be the one to say that, obviously. We were talking about the guitar solo. Why dont you pm your fretless guitar gods and ask them to play the solo, or ask if they're complex/hard to play? Better than keep blabbing about something we never asked you about.

Oh, and you acting like if microtonal music is the be all and end all of fretless playing is laughable. Not to mention that you certainly are ignorant on the man's playing subject.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

If Ron can't play microtonal stuff he is not a good fretless player? LOL.

Quote me where that was said. In the 2 years orso I haven't posted on this forum, I forgot most here cannot read properly. Discussing factual things don't go over very well ;)

I said playing fretless in the chromatic scale (which is what BBF does) is easy compared to playing fretless in microtones. That is a fact. And the true masters of the fretless play in microtones because musically there is much more to explore there. Chromatic is limited compared to microtonal.

People here claiming playing fretless is hard, have never tried it or they really suck at everything they try. Within a week of practice you feel where the notes are and don't even think about it. BBF is good at fretless in chromatic like tens of thousands are, nothing special like the fanboys want to make you believe. Anyway, waiting for those microtonal clips of BBF like the other guy claimed BBF does :P

Has Ron ever said he can't play microtonal stuff though? You are correct, yes, that microtonal stuff is considerably more challenging on any instrument, except maybe trombone. But it's also not a completely fair judgement since there is nowhere in any GN'R music where microtonality would be appropriate, so we wouldn't know the extent of his ability to play in microtonality unless he's outright said he can't.