Mad Men: The Thread

Vincent Vega

This is a thread for any fans of the show Mad Men, which I feel is the best show on TV.

It's for fans of the show to discuss it here, past seasons, the characters, the upcoming season, what you think it will bring, etc.

Edited by Vincent Vega

My bet is on Don jumping from his office window on the last episode.

Edit: I also want to see Peggy get married, but I don't think that's her priority and it probably won't happen.

I love the show, but I don't think the storylines are as tight as they used to be.

(Working my way through Season 5 DVD now, you need to have Sky to watch it on TV in the UK.

Edited by Glue_Eater

It's great but it's no Breaking Bad, Treme or Boardwalk Empire.

Those shows are completely different! It's kind of hard to compare because most people tend to gravitate towards one style of program over another. You can really only compare them for their production quality of which I would say that all are very high. :)

I love this show. I think it's great for showing how discriminatory things were then, especially with women. Peggy's character is most interesting to me from the female perspective. I like Bett's role too, sort of as the opposite of Peggy.

quickly scrolled through this thread so i wouldn't read any spoilers.

i think its ok, not as great as I was expecting from all the critical acclaim i've seen.

granted i'm only on season two.

Season 3/4 are probably the best. Season 5 was pretty amazing, too. I'll have to re-watch it before I rank it.

I'm sad that the show is ending after 7 seasons. Probably for the best, however.

I really like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, but (imo) this is easily the best show on AMC and tv in general.

Edited by Crazyman

I think season 1 and 2 were not bad ( took a while to get going), season 3 and 4 were much better. There was actually a lot of interesting things going on with Don's identity and the agency shake up, etc, which i thought made it really intriguing. Season 5 is good but it's not keeping my attention as well as I had hoped. Put it this way, I watched season 3 and 4 in 2 weeks. I've had season 5 now for a few months and I've just passed half way.

It's definitely one of those shows where you need to watch every episode to know whats going on. I can see how someone might find it a little boring. I absolutely love the whole styling of it and I used to work in advertising so it's kind of a match made in heaven for me. :D

He's sexy as hell and looks the part in that suit with a glass of brandy, or cognac or whatever it is, in hand. I really like the way he mentors Peggy. It's funny too because the representation of an ad agency is not that far off the mark in Mad Men. I remember watching Melrose Place and Alison and Heather Locklear's character (whatever her name was) worked in advertising and the depiction of ad agencies in that series was fucking hilarious and seriously off the mark.

I think John Hamm should be the next James Bond. He's got the looks and the attitude and everything down to a T.

What year do you think Mad Men will end? Season 5 ended in April 1967....

There was a popular theory circulating a while back that the last scene would end with old man Don jumping from the roof of the office, mirroring the opening credits.

I'd hope that wouldn't happen. Wouldn't want to see Don die on screen.

I guess it'd make sense. Would the events of whole series then be his last thoughts or memories before he jumped?

I hope it ends sometime around 1969-1971. Basically with Don Draper being a cultural dinosaur out of place in a new era. 1960 and 1970 were basically like two different worlds, and Don and his people represent 50s America...The total opposite of that would be something like Woodstock or Altamont.

Actually, ideally the series would run to 1974 and close around the time of Nixon's resignation.

Hamm will be too old to be the next Bond, Craig is contracted for two more films which will take us to about 2017 and Hamm will be 45 by then which by the time the next film is made will make him 47 or close to it which is too old. One of the favourites for the role of Bond is Idris Eba who is a year younger than Hamm but will again be too old when the time comes.

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur

Hamm will be too old to be the next Bond, Craig is contracted for two more films which will take us to about 2017 and Hamm will be 45 by then which by the time the next film is made will make him 47 or close to it which is too old. One of the favourites for the role of Bond is Idris Eba who is a year younger than Hamm but will again be too old when the time comes.

I think Henry Cavill would have been the next Bond if not for Superman.