Blues Rock is the best subgenre of rock

Vincent Vega

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Load of fuckin' shit if you ask me. A lightweight bastardisation of a seriously authentic and powerful form of music that basically takes all the heart and soul out of the blues and puts it in a fuckin' 70s pre-mall revolution America so's weenies like Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler can write a bunch of songs centred around patronisingly obvious sexual innuendo and not a lot else :shrugs: Not that the original blues didn't have a lot of veiled and not so veiled sexual innuendo but it was a lot more to it than that. Blues rock is to the blues what MC Hammer is to proper hip hop, to paraphrase Bob Harris, a pale and unamusing derivative.

Come to that the majority of rock is pretty shite as well.

Edited by sugaraylen

Load of fuckin' shit if you ask me. A lightweight bastardisation of a seriously authentic and powerful form of music that basically takes all the heart and soul out of the blues and puts it in a fuckin' 70s pre-mall revolution America so's weenies like Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler can write a bunch of songs centred around patronisingly obvious sexual innuendo and not a lot else :shrugs: Not that the original blues didn't have a lot of veiled and not so veiled sexual innuendo but it was a lot more to it than that. Blues rock is to the blues what MC Hammer is to proper hip hop, to paraphrase Bob Harris, a pale and unamusing derivative.

19131116.jpg

Guest Len B'stard

Thats how it's done :)

19131116.jpg

No mention whatsoever about underground or overground or intercity or the green line or british rail of any of that was made :lol: The original bluesman would've dropped a bollock for mainstream popularity...and who can blame em :)

Thats how it's done :)

19131116.jpg

No mention whatsoever about underground or overground or intercity or the green line or british rail of any of that was made :lol: The original bluesman would've dropped a bollock for mainstream popularity...and who can blame em :)

You're so obsessed with this weird sense of punk integrity and purity that there's probably only like five bands you actually enjoy.

All Blues Rock is is what people like Little Walter were doing, but amped up and at times more soulful and meaningful.

Music isn't about purity, it's about expression and what the artist enjoys making, the audience enjoys hearig and relates to.

Guest Len B'stard

It's a simple equation, one end of the seesaw has substance, the other has less, no big punk theorizing, no mention of integrity, simple as you like :)

I don't know if it's the best, it's pretty good though. Rory Gallagher and ZZ Top were pretty kickass live. Early Steve Miller when Boz Scaggs was in the band was one of the best of the late 60s. Mountain gets their due as being one of the best at the time. Gov't Mule - some people Warren doing that better than the Allmans.

I don't know if it's the best, it's pretty good though. Rory Gallagher and ZZ Top were pretty kickass live. Early Steve Miller when Boz Scaggs was in the band was one of the best of the late 60s. Mountain gets their due as being one of the best at the time. Gov't Mule - some people Warren doing that better than the Allmans.

Johnny Winter

Humble Pie,

Ten Years After

The list is endless of how many excellent blues rock based bands there are...............

I agree buddy, and you'lll never find a bigger Blues advocate than me. People like sugaraylen have to Marxify the issue, making it into an issue of a dominant, subsuming culture, and a dominated, subsumed culture. len don't you love Elvis? Come on. Little Walter is the greatest ever, I won't argue that. But I love hearing traces of the Blues in music from all kinds of people and in all kinds of times. There's a mark of something I love in Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Foghat, down to GNR, etc. The Blues belongs in Rock. It was always its heart.

Very well said!

I agree buddy, and you'lll never find a bigger Blues advocate than me. People like sugaraylen have to Marxify the issue, making it into an issue of a dominant, subsuming culture, and a dominated, subsumed culture. len don't you love Elvis? Come on. Little Walter is the greatest ever, I won't argue that. But I love hearing traces of the Blues in music from all kinds of people and in all kinds of times. There's a mark of something I love in Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Foghat, down to GNR, etc. The Blues belongs in Rock. It was always its heart.

Very well said!

I agree as well .

Besides I absolutely love Janis Joplin! One of my favorite artists and one of the few female artists I like. She is also one of the few, who can make me cry listening to some of her songs.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm sorry, i just don't agree with you there. i didn't invent the evolution of these things, it was a natural process, it's not something i'm putting in place it just is what it is. I love hearing tracing from and taking cues from Blues in other music but not the forgery of it and least of all the tacking on of said forgery to commercially driven product to make a lot of money on the back of something some version serious characters gave their lives behind.

All this would mean nothing though if the music came out better which it doesn't...at all. And the reason for that is that is without authenticity and the expression of something true to who and what you are the resultant product doesn't really endure for me.

There is an immense devaluing of the substance in the blues by accepting that 19 yr old lads from London can just pick up a pen and write a song moaning about how his woman left him, chuck a couple of chords together and a bit of Robert Johnson lickery and hey ho, it's as good as the blues, i'm sorry but it's not.

To me it's like the difference between like...when you listen to Kool G Rap doing something like Poison and it sounds like a fuckin'...it has the sound of the street, it sounds like a 90 minute Memorex tape you picked up off someone, there's just a force to it and a rawness to the expression because commerce wasn't on these peoples minds, or at least not any kind of commerce worth shouting about, it was just what they did and it was true to their lives and situations...as opposed to like, i dunno, Vanilla Ice rapping. Probably worse actually cuz if Vanilla Ice weren't from that community he was at least exposed to it and around it, what does Mick Jagger know about the fuckin' blues that me you or Bob down the street doesn't?

It ain't my thing and it ain't your thing and it ain't Mick Jaggers thing, it's THEIR thing and everybody should have their own thing because it's a waste of the person you are trying to be some xerox copy of someone else. It's false and eventually, it will ring false.

It's why i feel like i could listen to Charley Patton til i was 70 and it would still cut right through me. As opposed to something like Aerosmith which, come on, really, the lyrics of 90% of those songs are just...stereotypes? Sort well worn images that he tries to tie together to make for some clever wordplay or some really really ham-fisted sexual innuendo, it doesn't last because it's not real.

"i'll stick my knife right down your throat baby and it hurts!" Ooh, i wonder what Mick could POSSIBLY be trying to say there? :rolleyes:

Now you can call that snobby or whatever but like i said, if to me the songs were good there wouldn't be any kind of debate but their is one because i don't find the songs to be that good and when i'm curious i wonder why and the best reasons i can come up with is that it sounds REALLY inauthentic and REALLY derivative and ultimately lacking in substance because it was created by people coming from different places trying to achieve different things.

Now you can go on all day about y'know, why this obsession with authenticity or some blind notion of purity well...thats just the way life works i'm afraid, the truth is the truth, whats real is real, people always look like exactly what they are, no mans hand is big enough to cover the sky, y'know?

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying i NEVER listen to blues rock or i think it should be banished from existence or some such silliness, it's cool, it's OK, God knows i've listened to a fair bit of it and love a fair bit of it too but when a statement is made putting it at the top of some kind of totem pole my immediate mental reaction is wait, hang on a second, before we all start getting our dicks out in a circle and having a massive collective wank about the mythology of The Rolling Stones that appears to be subject to many a young mans wet dream both here and around the world, how about REALLY assessing the music and how it stands in relation to the thing that it was more or less doing a take on?

Perhaps it was an unnecessary comparison to make but hey, it's got blues in it's name y'know :shrugs: Put simply, throughout my life, the most effective and substancial and sweet sounding music i've heard in my life has almost ALWAYS been original stuff, the original article, something that doesn't sound like what everybody else is doing and not the derivative, i can't give you the answer as to why because i don't know why. And the derivative often comes across as pale and hollow and false and ultimately slightly sinister or sad in it's intent.

You'll have to excuse me, i'm a something of an adult and 'i'm a red hot pistol and i'm ready to fight/i'm a .38 special on a saturday night, i'm gonna kiss your boo boo honey, make it alright' just don't cut it anymore :shrugs:

Edited by sugaraylen

I'm sorry, i just don't agree with you there. i didn't invent the evolution of these things, it was a natural process, it's not something i'm putting in place it just is what it is. I love hearing tracing from and taking cues from Blues in other music but not the forgery of it and least of all the tacking on of said forgery to commercially driven product to make a lot of money on the back of something some version serious characters gave their lives behind.

All this would mean nothing though if the music came out better which it doesn't...at all. And the reason for that is that is without authenticity and the expression of something true to who and what you are the resultant product doesn't really endure for me.

There is an immense devaluing of the substance in the blues by accepting that 19 yr old lads from London can just pick up a pen and write a song moaning about how his woman left him, chuck a couple of chords together and a bit of Robert Johnson lickery and hey ho, it's as good as the blues, i'm sorry but it's not.

To me it's like the difference between like...when you listen to Kool G Rap doing something like Poison and it sounds like a fuckin'...it has the sound of the street, it sounds like a 90 minute Memorex tape you picked up off someone, there's just a force to it and a rawness to the expression because commerce wasn't on these peoples minds, or at least not any kind of commerce worth shouting about, it was just what they did and it was true to their lives and situations...as opposed to like, i dunno, Vanilla Ice rapping. Probably worse actually cuz if Vanilla Ice weren't from that community he was at least exposed to it and around it, what does Mick Jagger know about the fuckin' blues that me you or Bob down the street doesn't?

It ain't my thing and it ain't your thing and it ain't Mick Jaggers thing, it's THEIR thing and everybody should have their own thing because it's a waste of the person you are trying to be some xerox copy of someone else. It's false and eventually, it will ring false.

It's why i feel like i could listen to Charley Patton til i was 70 and it would still cut right through me. As opposed to something like Aerosmith which, come on, really, the lyrics of 90% of those songs are just...stereotypes? Sort well worn images that he tries to tie together to make for some clever wordplay or some really really ham-fisted sexual innuendo, it doesn't last because it's not real.

"i'll stick my knife right down your throat baby and it hurts!" Ooh, i wonder what Mick could POSSIBLY be trying to say there? :rolleyes:

Now you can call that snobby or whatever but like i said, if to me the songs were good there wouldn't be any kind of debate but their is one because i don't find the songs to be that good and when i'm curious i wonder why and the best reasons i can come up with is that it sounds REALLY inauthentic and REALLY derivative and ultimately lacking in substance because it was created by people coming from different places trying to achieve different things.

Now you can go on all day about y'know, why this obsession with authenticity or some blind notion of purity well...thats just the way life works i'm afraid, the truth is the truth, whats real is real, people always look like exactly what they are, no mans hand is big enough to cover the sky, y'know?

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying i NEVER listen to blues rock or i think it should be banished from existence or some such silliness, it's cool, it's OK, God knows i've listened to a fair bit of it and love a fair bit of it too but when a statement is made putting it at the top of some kind of totem pole my immediate mental reaction is wait, hang on a second, before we all start getting our dicks out in a circle and having a massive collective wank about the mythology of The Rolling Stones that appears to be subject to many a young mans wet dream both here and around the world, how about REALLY assessing the music and how it stands in relation to the thing that it was more or less doing a take on?

Perhaps it was an unnecessary comparison to make but hey, it's got blues in it's name y'know :shrugs: Put simply, throughout my life, the most effective and substancial and sweet sounding music i've heard in my life has almost ALWAYS been original stuff, the original article, something that doesn't sound like what everybody else is doing and not the derivative, i can't give you the answer as to why because i don't know why. And the derivative often comes across as pale and hollow and false and ultimately slightly sinister or sad in it's intent.

You'll have to excuse me, i'm a something of an adult and 'i'm a red hot pistol and i'm ready to fight/i'm a .38 special on a saturday night, i'm gonna kiss your boo boo honey, make it alright' just don't cut it anymore :shrugs:

We get it mate you don't like blues rock....... :D ......but I find it funny you love punk so much as it is nothing more than poorly played rock music and is derivative........

Guest Len B'stard

I'm gonna leave it there CR cuz i don't wanna derail the thread and you know what direction this is going in :lol: blahblahblahblahblahblahblahsexpistolsblahblahblahblahtheclash etc etc until everybodys forgotten what the fuck the threads about :lol:

I'm gonna leave it there CR cuz i don't wanna derail the thread and you know what direction this is going in :lol: blahblahblahblahblahblahblahsexpistolsblahblahblahblahtheclash etc etc until everybodys forgotten what the fuck the threads about :lol:

Shit mate this thread was not going anywhere anyway so please rant on as I love reading your posts...may not always agree with em but they are always well thought out and entertaining........and it is all related to blues even if a little obtuse.

Guest Len B'stard

Sorry but those are my feelings, as far as getting on your nerves, uh, sorry? I have no particular interest in doing the whole handbags at dawn this with you ;)

Edited by sugaraylen