Did Axl quit smoking maybe?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

I was thinking...maybe Axl quit smoking leading to his voice losing the "rasp". It would also explain his weight gain.

He admitted in 2002 that he had quit smoking, and his voice was shit then. Then all of a sudden in 2004 there's pictures of him smoking cigars and his voice is back to form in 2006.

If he's quitting smoking to improve his health, I'm happy for him - but he should at least say something to that effect so that we don't expect his vocals to be top-notch anymore.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bellastar2355

Around 1:20, he mentions that Axl complains about having problems with his voice while drinking and smoking... so I'm pretty sure it helped make it worst.

I get the feeling that Axl is like Samson, the strength of his voice is from his hair. The worst the hair gets the worse the voice.

Lmao!!!

Around 1:20, he mentions that Axl complains about having problems with his voice while drinking and smoking... so I'm pretty sure it helped make it worst.

I get the feeling that Axl is like Samson, the strength of his voice is from his hair. The worst the hair gets the worse the voice.

He admitted in 2002 that he had quit smoking, and his voice was shit then. Then all of a sudden in 2004 there's pictures of him smoking cigars

There's a big difference between smoking a cigarette and a cigar.

Um...no?

Yes, if you have a cigar once in awhile while out with friends it certainly is different than sucking down a pack of cigs everyday...

As far as Axl smoking cigs? I do not know for certain but after spending some time with him I never once saw him smoke, I would assume he no longer smokes cigs, I don't think he ever smoked a ton of them either. He is certainly surrounded by smokers though.

I know from person exposure that he was smoking up a storm in 2010. May explain part of the reason why his vocals changed. Can't blame him if this the case.

in 2010? I never saw him smoke once during the 4 gigs I went to. Even at an after party... although the room was filled with it lol

Edited by gunsguy

He admitted in 2002 that he had quit smoking, and his voice was shit then. Then all of a sudden in 2004 there's pictures of him smoking cigars

Um...no?

Yes, if you have a cigar once in awhile while out with friends it certainly is different than sucking down a pack of cigs everyday...

As far as Axl smoking cigs? I do not know for certain but after spending some time with him I never once saw him smoke, I would assume he no longer smokes cigs, I don't think he ever smoked a ton of them either. He is certainly surrounded by smokers though.

That's even worse than smoking. Isn't second-hand smoke is way hazardous than first-hand?

Um...no?

You inhale cigar? lol

You don't inhale the smoke from cigars like you do when smoking cigs. That's the diff.

This.

The smoke isn't supposed to be inhaled, but only "tasted" in the mouth before you exhale it.

Edited by Jeez

Um...no?

That's even worse than smoking. Isn't second-hand smoke is way hazardous than first-hand?

oh I am not suggesting it is better for him or anyone just saying what I saw

come to think of it when was the last time you saw a video or a still pic with Axl smoking a cig? I honestly can't remember it's been so long, even here Vanessa is having a smoke break while Axl is standing there (that is when most smokers would light up)

Edited by gunsguy

yea right :rofl-lol:

in a way it's correct. If I sit here and have a smoke I am not only inhaling the shit in it but then the smoke lingers as I breathe it in as well. Now imagine I did not smoke and 30-50 people in the room are, you don't think that would affect me at all?

And the bonus to it is it is unfiltered as oppose to a smoker who smokes a filtered smoke

on topic though I do not believe he smokes cigs anymore and has not in a long time. IF he does it must be VERY minimal

Edited by gunsguy

Just can't picture it anymore. I could see it in the 1986-1989 Guns but not really after that.

he was smoking in the 90's

1992 pay per view:

Lol he had those long ass cigs then.

no it was an extension. Cigarette holder kinda thing. people use them still to avoid nic stains and smells on hands...

yea right :rofl-lol:

in a way it's correct. If I sit here and have a smoke I am not only inhaling the shit in it but then the smoke lingers as I breathe it in as well. Now imagine I did not smoke and 30-50 people in the room are, you don't think that would affect me at all?

And the bonus to it is it is unfiltered as oppose to a smoker who smokes a filtered smoke

Of course it affects you, but it's not worse than smoking the cigarettes yourself.

Most of the smoke is inhaled by the smoker - obviously. A smaller amount of smoke is floating in the air, and from that you inhale maybe 5%.

Saying that sitting next to a smoker is worse than smoking is fucking stupid. Sorry.

Just can't picture it anymore. I could see it in the 1986-1989 Guns but not really after that.

1992 pay per view:

no it was an extension. Cigarette holder kinda thing. people use them still to avoid nic stains and smells on hands...

Oh ok. It's hard to tell there aren't really any close ups of it lol.

1992 pay per view:

Oh ok. It's hard to tell there aren't really any close ups of it lol.

I just remember. I will try and find another vid of closer up maybe. But honestly can anyone produce a still image or video after 1992 with Axl sucking on a cig?