Suggestion: Like Button

Forsaken

Ok, i've seen a few people recommend this for the board(I think) and I believe it would add a new dynamic to the board. Someone makes a post, if you agree or like the post, click the like button. Almost fb-esque. Example:

Before

beforevu.jpg

After:

aftern.jpg

This could limit pointless replies to posts by just clicking the "like" button. I know this is possible to add on these boards, but what I do not know is if this would be a bandwidth issue or not.

Anyway, just a suggestion. :thumbsup:

I mean, sometimes I like some posts (cos they are funny, good arguments or whatever) but I don't agree with it (or at least not completely).

Well I guess in that case it would just fall into general interpretation. It's catch 22 at that point.... like it if you think it's funny, or don't because you don't agree. Either way, it would be your choice.

Im not in favor of it, because its a form of social engineering. People will be less inclined to post their true thoughts out of fear of negative feedback. It will just lead to self censorship.

Fair enough, but how can a like button be comparable to social engineering? You like someones post and that's it - what are you scamming? Lol.

Honestly wouldn't think that deep bro. If you have fear of a like button on a social forum with social functions, then the problem lies within that person.

Edited by Forsaken

I think it may create an atmosphere where people rely on others to post so they can just sit back and relax and say nothing. After a few months, there will be a board Fuhrer. Then everyone else is fucked and we'll be sent to more dead sections of the board where we are forced to post just to serve the "overall posts" stat on the homepage. No likes for the exiled and our rep will starve. :scared:

Edited by Rustycage

My friend, that is called over-analyzing.

The community would stay the same. You believe that a like button, that creates no rep, would kill a community? These things are implemented on boards around the same size as this and the community is just fine.

Although those other boards do not have the same type of community that exists here, some people are very used to over analyzing things.

Edited by Forsaken

Keep opinions rolling in, that's what this is for. Just try not to post one word answers or a fucking picture response.

I would not mind a thumbs up/down option

I like this, too. Only problem - too many trolls/immature minds that would neg a post for no reason based on the poster.

True that.

Has potential - but if someone "likes" what I'm saying or agrees with it, I'd rather they both contribute and continue the discussion. Engage with the topic/subject matter. Support a point.

Right and as I stated earlier, you could like the post and then continue the discussion as normal if you see fit.

All this basically does is add another dynamic and new feature to the forum which I think would be very cool.