Ideal time period between albums?

Cosmo

Roughly 3 years. Enough for a big tour, a period of rest and time to work on it.

I often criticize GnR for their release schedule (or lack thereof), but the opposite annoys me too. Artists that put out a new album at least every year with some having mediocre quality. Despite that I love his music overall, Joe Bonamassa is an example.

Even worse is Buckethead putting out multiple albums a year. It just annoys me and it creates a very large inconsistent body of work.

Edited by username

10-20 years. Any band that thinks they can put out meaningful product every few years is insane. Youve got be writing total classics to impact the ipod. An album basically gets reduced to a cherry picked song. So every 10 years you can put out an album of singles.

As I am older then most on this forum I remember when bands put out 1 album a year and in some csaes more then one album a year so when I hear the argument that 3-5 years is about right it reminds me how much the music industry has changed...If a band went 2 years or more between albums back in the day it was a big deal and would spark rumours of a problems in the band......

Personally I think the way Slash is doing it is about right in todays music market...an album every couple of years to keep things fresh for the next tour............

Depends on how hot they are at the time, but I wish bands would put non-album singles out through the year and just put an album out to listen to as a whole. That's how a lot of bands in the 60s did, and The Smiths did it that way in the 80s, where they would just compile the singles and put that out.

Older artists can get away with 4-5 years between releases, but 3 is ideal. A year to put the album and videos together, a year and a half to do a tour for it, and then do a Deluxe Edition at the end and cram it with video, concert footage, and have the option to buy the CD or take your copy and put it in there kind of like the Bond 50 where they left a space for Skyfall....

Maybe sales of the DVD will be the deciding factor on Axl going back in the studio instead of doing another leg. I think the band's been more than ready to do it, but Axl has to be the one to bring it together and make it happen.

Taylor Swift seems to do fine with an album every 2 years. Love her or hate her, she's the ideal act in the modern music industry.

She's an easy sell to teenage mallrat girls going through a breakup, it has to run its course at some point. People are getting tired of the news being about who she broke up with and what song she's going to write about them.

Depends on how hot they are at the time, but I wish bands would put non-album singles out through the year and just put an album out to listen to as a whole. That's how a lot of bands in the 60s did, and The Smiths did it that way in the 80s, where they would just compile the singles and put that out.

Older artists can get away with 4-5 years between releases, but 3 is ideal. A year to put the album and videos together, a year and a half to do a tour for it, and then do a Deluxe Edition at the end and cram it with video, concert footage, and have the option to buy the CD or take your copy and put it in there kind of like the Bond 50 where they left a space for Skyfall....

Maybe sales of the DVD will be the deciding factor on Axl going back in the studio instead of doing another leg. I think the band's been more than ready to do it, but Axl has to be the one to bring it together and make it happen.

a Live DVD/blu ray seems like it could promo the tour.

everyone has a shorter attention span. hardly anyone is going to sit down and listen to a cd. So what Ron was saying about releasing songs before a tour or every month could be great experience. sure to cause panic across the net. Every month a new song, a great time to be a fan. with a final release of a cd. If the songs are wildly eclectic nobody could really say "I've heard that one song, whole record will suck". Especially if they can hit the production values of AFD, UYI, CD on different tracks. Holy shit this sounds like AFD, wow a bit like Dead Horse, ok this is Shackler's type thing from Bucket.

yeah, I think the album is dead. Only a few bands can really a command that kind of attention. And they have been out for 10-20 years.

Edited by wasted

So what Ron was saying about releasing songs before a tour or every month could be great experience. sure to cause panic across the net.

lol, Panic across the net?..........Maybe on the fan forums but across the internet? I don't think so as that ship sailed for Axl long ago.............

Edited by classicrawker

So what Ron was saying about releasing songs before a tour or every month could be great experience. sure to cause panic across the net.

lol, Panic across the net?..........Maybe on the fan forums but across the internet? I don't think so as that ship sailed for Axl long ago.............

I wonder to myself...

back off topic, do bands really make good albums anymore? Does anyone have that ambition? most just put some songs on a cd. They aren't molding a listening experience are they? Hardly anyone really did it so it does matter how we get the songs really.

I wonder to myself...

back off topic, do bands really make good albums anymore? Does anyone have that ambition? most just put some songs on a cd. They aren't molding a listening experience are they? Hardly anyone really did it so it does matter how we get the songs really.

I am old school and prefer complete physical albums I can hold in my hand but with digital downloads the young generation now seems to prefer picking and choosing what songs they buy so physical media is dying a slow death...........

Taylor Swift seems to do fine with an album every 2 years. Love her or hate her, she's the ideal act in the modern music industry.

She's an easy sell to teenage mallrat girls going through a breakup, it has to run its course at some point. People are getting tired of the news being about who she broke up with and what song she's going to write about them.

She's capitalising on her success, so what? I think she's well aware that even the best acts have a date after which they struggle to stay relevant so I can hardly blame her for trying to earn as much as possible while she can. Plus, she's always struck me as the type of artist who spends a lot of time writing new material, I think she's probably happy for the chance to be able to release albums at regular intervals.

For the record, I don't read the news and/or care about who she's dating or breaking up with (I'm sure a lot of that is just for show so that at least people believe her when she writes songs about xyz), but I do agree that it is annoying if you are constantly having that information rammed down your throat. I'm willing to guess that she doesn't enjoy having all of her life in the newspapers too. (A song on her most recent album hints at that too)

I wonder to myself...

I am old school and prefer complete physical albums I can hold in my hand but with digital downloads the young generation now seems to prefer picking and choosing what songs they buy so physical media is dying a slow death...........

I prefer a real cd. It's kind of funny to feel nostalgia for cds bcos they are cheap hookers compared to vinyl. but I probably am myself at the point where I'd just copy it onto iTunes and never look at the booklet. unless it's Guns and I'd pore over it for hidden meanings.

Two years. There is no reason that anyone with the talent to make one good album shouldn't be able to make another one within a two-year period. No reason at all.

I agree 100%.

On this forum, to defend Axl's lack of interest in releasing music, a group has made the writing and recording process seem like some big huge top-secret mystical event where it has to take an artist at least 5-to-10 years to write a decent album. And any band that releases new music every couple of years is STRICTLY doing it for the cash and is ripping off their fans.

There is NO reason that somebody as talented as Axl, teaming up with the prolific DJ and BBF (I don't know which of the rest of the band is known for their song writing abilities) couldn't write 10 quality songs a year.

People on here (again, just to defend Axl) say they'd rather get one brilliant album like CD every 20 years than get 10 crappy albums over 20 years. First off - that is an insult to their God Axl Rose. They think Axl can only write crap unless he has 20 years to work on it?????? Second, a song has no formula. A timeless, brilliant song can be written in an evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or it could take 5 years of tinkering. Axl and the boys could spend three months in the studio and produce the best album of the decade. A song doesn't have to be worked on for years and years, and it doesn't have to be tinkered with and redone and messed with for years and years. I would even suggest that a lot of the best songs ever written were done the complete opposite. They didn't take 8 years of working on them. A guy with a piano or accoustic guitar and a broken heart can pump out a masterpiece in a weekend.

Would you rather have CD................or would you rather Axl had released seven albums in the last 20 years? Would those 7 albums have some fillers? Yes, no doubt. But Axl's fillers are better than most of the crap that is out there now. And, those 100 songs (7 albums) would not doubt have a TON of great classic songs on them.

Hopefully someday Team Brazil and Axl will decide to share his music with his millions of fans.