Is anybody else, despite the naysayers, quite open to Axl/Ashba?

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl pays a lot of attention to the scene, a lot more than he's credited for. I read a couple of reviews of the album DJ is perhaps at his most prominent, the self-titled Beautiful Creatures. You can see why Axl took an interest in career for almost ten years prior to bringing him into the project.

Mike Bell of Canoe.ca stated the band were similar to Guns N' Roses and that they were "borrowing unapologetically and gluttonously from the Big Book of Rock Cliches." However, he also felt that "there's still something to them that you can't help but enjoy."
Exclaim! reviewer Craig Daniels stated that "the opening song, "1 A.M.," could easily be mistaken for vintage G'n'R, and actually stands alone as a pretty solid little rocker" and that LeSte "alternates from an AC/DC growl to an Axl howl."
Andrew Ellis, reviewing for PopMatters described the album was a "a rough and ready collection of uninspiring rockers, old school guitar licks and gravelly vocals" that "attempts to merge the aggression, street sass and sound of the incomparable Appetite for Destruction with the modern leanings of the contemporary rock scene."

There is quite clearly a potential there in the context of Guns N' Roses. I can't help but think when Axl seen some of these comparisons he saw a rookie player that under his direction could become the sound he was initially trying to imitate with some success. I honestly can't help but think, a naive as it may be, that DJ is the solution to the hit factor that was missing under the more sophisticated direction led by the Chinese line-ups. He is the next qualified player after Slash to put hooks to Axl's genius.

If there were 20 or 30 songs ready for CD, maybe there wont be a need to spend alot of time in the studio this time around, unless its all been scrapped.

Under his direction...where exactly is Axl's direction these days? It sure as hell isn't towards the recording studio...

DJ looks like Slash for a lot of people.....that's enough motive for Axl to bring him aboard his band...

No way he looks a lot like Slash. Trying to act like Slash on stage, maybe, but anyone who has clear pair of eyes can see they look nothing alike. Can't even imagine Slash putting on dark kohl on his face.

I think Dj can write some cool glam metal riffs for Ron and Axl to hang their creativity on. I really think keep Dj songs uncluttered is important, he can become part of the tapestry but somehow I feel like in that he'll get lost. It seems like he could give a whole record and sound and a direction. But ultimately that could be said about Bucket or Finck. It might not actually come out sounding like GNR unless it is a true melting pot like AFD and CD. Hopefully there's one song where Dj is the main writer and it's a rocker. In Dj and Fortus they have a Izzy/Slash combo again which could really pay off.

I think Fortus may surprise some Gn'R fans with what he can do in the studio. You know, if he ever gets the chance to do so.

He came up with that cool riff for the Better chorus, and idk, I just think he can bring that classic hard rock edge sound to whatever Axl might want to try to do with the current line up.

DJ may be the closest follower to Slash's school of thought when it comes to lead guitar playing, but something tells me Fortus is gonna be just as or even more important in building the Guns structure.

I prefer to first hear the Bucket/Robin/Brain material. I'll always prefer that line up, but when you think about it, this line up is pretty strong musically, and possibly can create something really cool.

I'm still not a fan of DJ, but I do think he could come up with a few catchy songs and riffs to help write a good Guns album.

I like Ballad Of Death.

supposedly Fortus has already recorded songs with GNR, but they weren't on CD becuase they came after that record was basically written.

I find it hard to believe/come to terms with the fact that the Bucket/finck band were around so long and that's all they did. It doesnt seem feasible.

But that in itself provides a problem. One line up that has done material and new members like Ron and Dj who need to be assimilated.

I guess that's where it becomes a GNR album, biigger than the sum of it's parts. But the scope of the next record looks so huge, you've got potentially another Robin Finck song like Better being on it right across to a Dj song he wrote last week. With Fortus in between as a bridge, with Ron underneath going fuck this bridge is heavy. Imagine Bucket and Dj on one song. How do you produce a record that can benefit all these guys styles. is it possible?

if Ballad of Death opened the album then the next song was Silkworms, how would that sound?

supposedly Fortus has already recorded songs with GNR, but they weren't on CD becuase they came after that record was basically written.

I find it hard to believe/come to terms with the fact that the Bucket/finck band were around so long and that's all they did. It doesnt seem feasible.

But that in itself provides a problem. One line up that has done material and new members like Ron and Dj who need to be assimilated.

I guess that's where it becomes a GNR album, biigger than the sum of it's parts. But the scope of the next record looks so huge, you've got potentially another Robin Finck song like Better being on it right across to a Dj song he wrote last week. With Fortus in between as a bridge, with Ron underneath going fuck this bridge is heavy. Imagine Bucket and Dj on one song. How do you produce a record that can benefit all these guys styles. is it possible?

if Ballad of Death opened the album then the next song was Silkworms, how would that sound?

Weird?

Maybe you don't. Maybe Axl will release it just like he said in that interview: 'same players, more approaches'

Plus it's been said by Brain and many others inside the band and outside of it that there are 30 'finished' songs from that line up, including what we got. At least 18 Bucket/Robin era unreleased songs.

I think Axl likes to use whatever he thinks are the best parts of songs, ideas, and performances. He doesn't really care who plays what, as long as it's cool, and the best possible way to occupy the space in the song. Musically I trust him.

Maybe you don't. Maybe Axl will release it just like he said in that interview: 'same players, more approaches'

Plus it's been said by Brain and many others inside the band and outside of it that there are 30 'finished' songs from that line up, including what we got. At least 18 Bucket/Robin era unreleased songs.

I think Axl likes to use whatever he thinks are the best parts of songs, ideas, and performances. He doesn't really care who plays what, as long as it's cool, and the best possible way to occupy the space in the song. Musically I trust him.

In the last interview that he gave, he said that they are making an album, but they are going slow. Considering that in the moment that they announce the release of the new album, it will take 3-4 months to it reaches the stores, i personally believe that we will have an album in 2014.

Edited by MattElias

That's the safest way to go. basically CD II. with maybe a Dj tune, maybe just one new track from the new band., setting up the coming of CD III in which Dj will be under the spell of Lord Axl.

I want to believe.

"They call us oddfellows. We believe."

That's how I'm guessing it will play out. So you'll get the best Bucket and Robin material, and you'll get a taste of what DJ can do in the studio, with probably more Fortus this time compared to the first Chinese. Now, where's that SRV Robin solo?

In the last interview that he gave, he said that they are making an album, but they are going slow. Considering that in the moment that they announce the release of the new album, it will take 3-4 months to it reaches the stores, i personally believe that we will have an album in 2014.

It's just that all GNR albums seem to have taken 10 years. Even AFD started back in Indiana, same with material on UYI. Same with CD, TIL dates back to 1994 if not earlier. Can we date this album, the new one back to 2000. Around the time Fortus joined whenever that was?