Get GN'R to #1 in the charts - anyone intrested?

Blusky Grenfield

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy

It's been done with Rage Against The Machine and even David Hasselhoff. Are GN'R fans as loyal? Can we get GN'R at number one somewhere (US, UK) in all purchasing the same single on the same day? It could be done using social media, Twitter or Facebook, and then on day X everyone who feels like getting GN'R on top can purchase a single.

Anyone up to this idea?

Since there is no new single on the horizon, maybe it could be narrowed down to either a classic song (November Rain, Sweet Child) or something from Chinese Democracy (Better, Street Of Dreams). Or we just go full throttle and make that the album "Chinese Democracy" to support Axl and the current band instead of even more nostalgia. (The album is available very cheap, so it would be just a few tiny bucks for everyone, perhaps even cheaper than a single...) Not sure if all copies would have to bought at the same retailer to be counted for the charts though, anyone got more info on that?

I'd be willing to launch a Facebook page for all fans to connect up to day X, if there's enough support.

Feedback please.

Edited by Blusky Grenfield

Not to be negative but even if you got all the active posters on this forum to buy a copy of the album it still would not be within the top 10 on the Billboard charts. I have Chinese Democracy on CD and vinyl, I purchased the inaccurate guitar tablature book, I have seen them live, I purchased their official cap. If they want promotion, that's on them,

Why does it matter if they're on top of the charts? Many if not most of the best music was made in obscurity. Not to mention that popular bands suck.

The point is to support the band, not to make us feel better because we like a "cool" band. If a little media buzz could be generated from this, perhaps it could help to motivate them to come up with new material?

Not to be negative but even if you got all the active posters on this forum to buy a copy of the album it still would not be within the top 10 on the Billboard charts. I have Chinese Democracy on CD and vinyl, I purchased the inaccurate guitar tablature book, I have seen them live, I purchased their official cap. If they want promotion, that's on them,

With the internet, iTunes and everything, you actually don't need to sell as many physical copies as back in the day to get on number one these days.

Why does it matter if they're on top of the charts? Many if not most of the best music was made in obscurity. Not to mention that popular bands suck.

The point is to support the band, not to make us feel better because we like a "cool" band. If a little media buzz could be generated from this, perhaps it could help to motivate them to come up with new material?

With the internet, iTunes and everything, you actually don't need to sell as many physical copies as back in the day to get on number one these days.

Correct, I did take the internet in as a factor. The point is that every other band also sells on the internet, Itunes etc so the playing field is as even as it was back in 1987. Albums sell less but there still is competition.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

You can make this happen if you utilize the South Americans. That said, yesterday was the perfect opportunity because Sweet Child was available to download free from Amazon.

A radio campaign would be awesome. I heard Chineese Democracy once on the airwaves and that was when Plaent Rock played it on release day. It would be funny if we all flooded the airwaves with requests for 'Checkmate by GN'R'.

from David Hasselhoff's Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia....avid_Hasselhoff

On April 21, 2006, fans of David Hasselhoff launched a tongue-in-cheek website "Get Hasselhoff to Number 1" in an attempt to get the 1989 hit "Looking for Freedom" to the top of the UK music charts through Internet downloads of the single. The campaign attracted attention on British radio and television broadcasts, in the national press and on the Internet. Over 40,000 people signed up to receive the "Hoff Alert" e-mail when the time had come to purchase the single.

The focus of the campaign shifted to "Jump In My Car", when that was actually released as a single, and BBC Radio1 DJ Scott Mills lent his support. On October 3, 2006 the Hoff Alert was sent out, and Hasselhoff promptly gained his highest ever UK chart entry (number 3) on October 8, 2006."

from BBC News on Rage Against The Machine: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8423340.stm

The band's single, Killing In The Name, sold 500,000 downloads beating X Factor winner Joe McElderry's The Climb by 50,000 copies to clinch the top spot.

You can make this happen if you utilize the South Americans. That said, yesterday was the perfect opportunity because Sweet Child was available to download free from Amazon.

A radio campaign would be awesome. I heard Chineese Democracy once on the airwaves and that was when Plaent Rock played it on release day. It would be funny if we all flooded the airwaves with requests for 'Checkmate by GN'R'.

Definetely get EVERYONE in, also fans from South America.

As for some radio support...Eddie Trunk anyone?

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

GN'R is a different animal to the Hoff and RATM. The latter two are petty obscure as far as mainstream popularity. That's the essence of those campaigns, ant-establishment. People like Scott Mills are too dumb to appreciate anything on Chinese Democracy.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Oh for Christ's sake.

no way! support the team! this will be awesomely hilarious.

You're right. If GNR is going to be a joke, I guess we should try to have some fun with it.

I don't see any pun or harm really, I mean I respect your opinion, but this thing would be on a totally voluntary basis and what is wrong with fans supporting their band? Let's do this, let's make a difference, let's get GN'R to #1!

Oh for Christ's sake.

You're right. If GNR is going to be a joke, I guess we should try to have some fun with it.

that's the spirit! come on guys!!! who's going to start the facebook page? i mean, just look at all the replies in this thread alone. the response will be huge.

it's cool that you site the hoff as an example of how this plan can work. if david hasselhoff can do it, then i'm sure it'll be a slam dunk for axl fuckin' rose!!! right?

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

People like Scott Mills are too dummb to appreciate anything on Chinese Democracy.

You've struck gold here! No one else could make sense of why CD was so poorly received. It must be that everyone who didn't like it was "dummb."

Edited by magisme

GN'R is a different animal to the Hoff and RATM. The latter two are petty obscure as far as mainstream popularity. That's the essence of those campaigns, ant-establishment. People like Scott Mills are too dumb to appreciate anything on Chinese Democracy.

The mainstream perception of GN'R, for better or worse, is mostly that of a classic rock nostalgia, wich could actually help such a campaign more than harming it. It sure won't hurt the band in any way and it could put some attention to Chinese Democracy and the current lineup by chossing a song from CD or the actual album.

Oh for Christ's sake.

that's the spirit! come on guys!!! who's going to start the facebook page? i mean, just look at all the replies in this thread alone. the response will be huge.

it's cool that you site the hoff as an example of how this plan can work. if david hasselhoff can do it, then i'm sure it'll be a slam dunk for axl fuckin' rose!!! right?

I can start a FB page but first I'd like to test the waters and get some feedback for this around the boards, if you support the idea spread the word.

First it has to be decided if we take a song (and wich one) or the album Chinese Democracy, so everyone voice your opinion right here.

everyone seems to agree it must be a chinese democracy song. maybe you could add a poll to the topic? we could vote on a few favorites. i think the short list would have to include TIL, Street of Dreams, TWAT or Scrapped.

also, since time is always of the essence, it couldn't hurt to go ahead and get the facebook page up. it can be revised and evolve as the project grows. but i see a lot of good in going ahead and getting the ball rolling.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

People like Scott Mills are too dummb to appreciate anything on Chinese Democracy.

You've struck gold here! No one else could make sense of why CD was so poorly received. It must be that everyone who didn't like it was "dummb."

Murphy's law, and I'm posting off a Blackberry, cut me some slack. If you think someone like Scott Mills, OMG Nicki Minaj, considered Chinese Democracy objectively you are mistaken. And the possiblity he'd lend his support to an unorthodox rock album, not even worth consideration.