Axl's history of personal hints regarding a song/or concept on the next album, in the previous album.

Guest NGOG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the biggest hidden meaning is the most obvious. The basket case on the cover. It seems like a visual pun. A basket case is also a socially useless person incapable etc. Pop references to the Basket Case tne 1982 horror movie and the Green day song. I think it might be a clue to Axls mental state in making CD and the struggles he had with industry Its like he had all his limbs cut off. on such a serious looking cover it seems like a typical axl joke.

If you want to push it further Basket Case was trilogy of movies released on home video. So could be a hint that CD will be a trilogy!!!

On the intro all j can hear is bu shi, bu kuai. Is not, not fast.

It would be funny if one person is saying its coming, its coming and woman is saying it is not, its not fast.

But i think its just an atmosphere.

I put those words on google translate and the answer is:

Bu Shi: Bush

Bu Kai: Detective

Weird. Very Weird.

Edited by MattElias

It would be funny if one person is saying its coming, its coming and woman is saying it is not, its not fast.

Weird. Very Weird.

What I hear is:

"Jin tou" - part of the meat too tough to eat

"Bu kaui" - Not fast

"bu shi" - is not

"bu xing" - not capable, won't work

"bu kai" - no desire

I guess it could recorded audio from a chinese market. Customer is saying the meat is too tough and seller is saying No it's not.

It's like Axl trying to sell CD at market and the buyers are like this song isn't good.

Edited by wasted

Contained in the booklet for Appetite For Destruction is the lyric 'With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothin' done' which would later feature in the Use Your Illusion track 'You Could Be Mine'.

In the Use Your Illusion booklet there was a reference to 'Ain't It Fun' which of course was a Dead Boys song later covered by GN'R on "The Spaghetti Incident?".

On the front cover of ]"The Spaghetti Incident?" Axl featured a coded remark that looked like this:

spagdiscse3.jpg

Back in 2008 a few weeks before the release of Chinese Democracy a fan deciphered it as 'FUCKEM ALL', and used the infamous Zodiac Killer's cypher to do so.

ZodiacSpaghetti.jpg

I think Axl developed an intense intrigue in the Zodiac case (which has achieved mainstream coverage more recently in a David Fincher adaption of the mystery) as far back as "The Spaghetti Incident?" and this was his reference to a song concept he would try to pursue on the next album, like with every other album to date. The breakdown of the band would then compromise this and he would be forced to redress the idea later on.

We know a song called 'Zodiac' by GN'R exists, albeit in the vault:

Titles and/or Working Titles of songs which may appear on a future album:

Ides Of March ('98), Berlin (Oklahoma) ('98), Atlas Shrugged ('99), Oh My God ('99), Silkworms ('00), Down By The Ocean ('01), Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone) ('02), Seven ('02), The General ('02), Thyme ('02), Quick Song ('05), Zodiac ('05), Jackie Chan (Checkmate) ('08).

Zodiac was part of the Chinese Democracy sessions.

With all this in mind I had a look at the Chinese Democracy booklet again, which most people rubbished and hardly took a second glance at, there is some intriguing faded text on the white bit of paper positioned slightly above the basket of the bicycle which begins with 'THIS STREET HAS BEEN', does anybody have an effective magnifying glass that could decipher what is written? Also, I think the yelping voices on the intro of the title track are highly worth exploring.

guns-chinese-cover.jpg

They're not hints, they're words to songs. Beyond the bicycle and the basket, the background is nothing but trash.

lol people trying to find clues in the chinese cover art. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Well, not completely as the AFD/UYI/TSI stuff is there. Can't deny any of that. And it's always been interesting (to me anyway).

But the real question is this: If there's something there, to what is it a clue? A song title? A line from a song? I doubt there's a whole National Treasure-like answer to the secret grand plan for the mystery that is Guns n' Roses in there. (also, there is no grand plan) So what (at most) are we really looking at? Probably a useless peace of trivia regarding something that might not even see the light of day.

Awesome stuff wasted, and Matt! And thanks for the support Broski/everybody else. I think this is worth more exploring than Axl's hypothetical boats etc.

I'm going to contact people close to the project over the next few weeks however hints are probably exclusive to Axl and between he and us like with older artworks.

Can anybody draw a link between an empty basket/bicycle, a bloodied red hand and a bluey amphibious grenade?

I agree the possible market scenario could symbolize the label/mainstream fans' displeasure at what they've been handed as Chinese Democracy (the meat) but Axl is adamant what they're getting is GN'R nonetheless.

The bloodied red hand could mark Axl's persecuted last attempt on the industry, His Last Stand in a sense. The worn out bike represents the band travelling a long way only to get absolutely nothing in terms of media/public affection for their efforts (empty basket). The greeny grenade and How Are You?, label deception. Feigning a genuine interest in Chinese Democracy only to introduce a hand grenade like Jimmy Iovine at every opportunity.

Edited by NGOG

So the zodiac code in TSI means Guns has a song called Fuck 'Em All?

No. Axl used the Zodiac Killer's cypher to code a message 'FUCKEM ALL' on TSI?. Then GN'R recorded a song called 'Zodiac' during the Chinese Democracy sessions.

Weird. Very Weird.

What I hear is:

"Jin tou" - part of the meat too tough to eat

"Bu kaui" - Not fast

"bu shi" - is not

"bu xing" - not capable, won't work

"bu kai" - no desire

I guess it could recorded audio from a chinese market. Customer is saying the meat is too tough and seller is saying No it's not.

It's like Axl trying to sell CD at market and the buyers are like this song isn't good.

Yeah, that's way more probable than a detective bush.

About the pictures, good job Matt Ellias. I thought that said interest too and was just about to say it.

Thank you.

Awesome stuff wasted, and Matt! And thanks for the support Broski/everybody else. I think this is worth more exploring than Axl's hypothetical boats etc.

I'm going to contact people close to the project over the next few weeks however hints are probably exclusive to Axl and between he and us like with older artworks.

Can anybody draw a link between an empty basket/bicycle, a bloodied red hand and a bluey amphibious grenade?

I agree the possible market scenario could symbolize the label/mainstream fans' displeasure at what they've been handed as Chinese Democracy (the meat) but Axl is adamant what they're getting is GN'R nonetheless.

The bloodied red hand could mark Axl's persecuted last attempt on the industry, His Last Stand in a sense. The worn out bike represents the band travelling a long way only to get absolutely nothing in terms of media/public affection for their efforts (empty basket). The greeny grenade and How Are You?, label deception. Feigning a genuine interest in Chinese Democracy only to introduce a hand grenade like Jimmy Iovine at every opportunity.

I think Sorry might be the grenade.

The main CD metaphor seems to be the fans are the chinese people and label the oppressive regime back in those days. both the red hand and basket covers show the same. Its really the gnr graphiti that casts the band as freedom fighters. Thats what CD is about. Getting it released was like escaping to freedom. Now they are in new territory.

Zodiac could be about an solved case of the GNR break up.

It seems obvious to me. It could be a protest song the chinese people but its too close to his own personal life. I mean why so much interest in dictators and oppressors. Maybe bcos you have a problem with aurthority.

Edited by wasted