What phase of Axl's grand plan are we in?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point of threads like this? Who are you digging at? Everyone here, everyone, isn't satisfied with where the band is right now. Obviously this isn't exactly what the plan was and no one from Axl to you to volcano to me is fucking excited it didn't go as planned so again who are you digging at?

What should people talk about....the same tour/set and the one album and 65 diff band members we've had in past 20+ years? Gee- I think they really nailed Jungle last night....wow, Tom was drunk...gee, DJ missed the sole in whatever....? It's a joke.....Axl has made it a joke.

Axl boycotted the label's small scale marketing strategy in the immediate aftermath of Chinese Democracy's release. It's like he almost considered it illegitimate. He essentially started a touring process for the record back in late 2009 like it was still early 2009. This is still all part of the Chinese Democracy cycle. As we know from the past Axl really believes in touring overkill as a means of pushing the public reception of an album. This effort will finally stop somewhere in 2013 and the band will formally finish the follow-up to Chinese Democracy. I believe that to be the reality. Three years of touring behind an album adopting a more radical direction is not unreasonable.

I think it was Azoff trying to instigate a reunion on the release of CD and not be willing to book a US tour. Plus the false promise of a VH/GNR tour.

That's why they started the tour in late 09 a year after CD was released. Not having a replacement for Finck may also be a reason.

I highly doubt there is a plan anymore. Perhaps once upon a time a decade or so ago there was an outline but I stopped viewing GNR like a normal band a while ago. They are now in an odd position where I doubt anyone is pushing particularly hard for a new album. The label will be happy with touring and the merch revenue associated with it, Axl will get more money from touring too and seems pretty content with the way its going.

If an album is to come out, i'd imagine it will just come out ala Bowie's latest. I don't see them sticking to cohesive marketing plans, doing the promo rounds etc. I guess when Axl fancies showing the world some CD leftovers he'll do it. Alternatively I guess we hope for him to get inspired on his travels and feel the need to record again.

Basically no support from anybody in the label. They could jump off the ship because of the Best Buy deal and try to coerce Axl from afar.

I wonder did Axl ever contemplate upgrading Richard Fortus in the search for a Finck replacement and desire to independently promote CD asap.

I just feel they need a record to express how much fun this band is. CD is more about the past than how Axl seems right now. How can you be angry when you've got Ron and Dj in a band. Say what you like about their playing or whatever but they aren't exactly unhilarious. and Pitman and Dizzy aren't pillars of bitternees either.

Yeah like there's a stigma to Chinese Democracy. It's 1990s Axl. A personal biography. It doesn't really portray an accurate picture of all the jager, fine cubans, gaybars and pools of chicks that Axl tends to enjoy these days. Chinese Democracy to Independence Day, DJ shooting guns and writing anthems for America.

I created two Axl's grand plan -threads in the attitude section last year.

People liked to pretend as if there was no talk of a plan here all those years ago, and then I got called insane and psychotic.

seems like I should have created the threads here.

:unsure:

They used to spend any expense on touring because it was seen as promoting the album, and the record sales is where a band made it's money. Now you make your money from touring. Does Axl know things have changed? Or does he keep touring thinking it's going to sell Chinese Democracy?

I'm thinking, the cash grab sessions as commonly stated here, is more on trying to 'relive' the band again, get all the exposure they can to promote the band, as to prepare for the sales of the upcoming album. Axl has probably learned his lesson from the response he got after the release of CD, so now he's doing all the pre-promotion (while still getting money in on the side) prior to the new album so that it will sell more than CD did.

Just my guess.

They used to spend any expense on touring because it was seen as promoting the album, and the record sales is where a band made it's money. Now you make your money from touring. Does Axl know things have changed? Or does he keep touring thinking it's going to sell Chinese Democracy?

of course Axl knows. In fact it suits a band like GNR, suddenly the touring bands are getting paid. It does help record sales overall as the GH keeps on selling. And CD must keep climbing.