Why do people such as ourselves idolize people like W. Axl Rose?

Tabitha27

I think this could be a very interesting topic of discussion. I mean why do we really idolize people like Axl? If we were to strip away the fact that he fronts a band, is famous, and wealthy, would that still cause us to be fanatics?

If you look at the kind of childhood Axl had, I wouldn't envy that or want that.

I am not sure if being super filthy rich would be that great either because you would have to really be able to trust those around you and even those people can fuck you over.

But what makes him have this aura that we are so intrigued with?

I think this could be a very interesting topic of discussion. I mean why do we really idolize people like Axl? If we were to strip away the fact that he fronts a band, is famous, and wealthy, would that still cause us to be fanatics?

If you look at the kind of childhood Axl had, I wouldn't envy that or want that.

I am not sure if being super filthy rich would be that great either because you would have to really be able to trust those around you and even those people can fuck you over.

I think it's the fact that he overcame so much BS to become successful.

Maybe is because he has a different behavior compared to other rockstars.

A bunch of rockstars cares a lot for the press. Axl don't give a fuck. If he wants to say something, if he wants to promote something, than he speaks. But when it's not necessary, he is more private.

Also, he is a good lyricist, and a good singer (At least he was). He play drums, guitar, sings. He is a rock legend.

I idolized him and the rest of the HOF line-up between 87 and 93-94. I was a kid, and you tend to have heroes at that age.

Unfortunately post 2000 Axl has lost my respect completely. The only reason he keeps my attention these days is because he has become such a trainwreck of a figure.

I still respect the others. Everyone has grown up and matured. Not Axl though. If anything he has regressed.

Edited by TheDiceMan

Yeah Adler cut a pretty pathetic figure at one point but he fought back from a stroke, got his shit together eventually, played brilliantly at the HOF and has recorded a new album with a new band. I'm happy he's happy. He deserves it after all the shit he's been through.

I don't idolize Axl Rose. I did when I was a teeneger but at that age it doesn't count.

Anyway, I guess he is/ was idolized by many people because he is different. For some reason he has something that makes him special (even in comparison with other rockstars). He has charisma and that's somtthing you're born with.

Plus, we "envy" rockstars cos we think their lives are basically awesome and exciting (though we know they have problems too, unconsciously we think the good thing are worth it).

Edited by izzygirl

Because he always do things his way and don't give a fuck about what other people says about it. You can hate and love it because of that, but at the end of the day he doesn't care. And his frontman, singer and compositive talents obviously.

I have to disagree with you on one point.

I think Axl cares way too much and he does give a fuck about what people think that is why he takes his time in releasing music.

Yes, the record company probably also stands in the way but I think Axl still fights demons of fear and rejection.

I don't think that many people idolize axl.(This tread can prove my point.)

I personally find him really fascinating cause seriously how many guys are there like him? But don't idolize him.

But I think if i ever around in the 87-93 period i'd be a crazy fangirl. :tongue2:

I'm waiting for a young axl rose to emerge somewhere. :violin:

Or atleast axl gets his shit together. Even if he doesn't realese music seeing a person with his past find some happiness would make me happy.

Because he always do things his way and don't give a fuck about what other people says about it. You can hate and love it because of that, but at the end of the day he doesn't care. And his frontman, singer and compositive talents obviously.

I have to disagree with you on one point.

I think Axl cares way too much and he does give a fuck about what people think that is why he takes his time in releasing music.

Yes, the record company probably also stands in the way but I think Axl still fights demons of fear and rejection.

This. Exactly what Bumblefoot says of Axl. Caring far too much about everything.

On topic, I don't idolize him. But I find him very interesting because he can be very unpredictable. And complex. Plus like someone said, he overcame a lot of BS to be successful. Think about his tortured childhood, and where he is now. We have none of his horrible early lives and where we are now.

I find celebrity worship extremely creepy and pathetic. I think people who idolize and worship celebrities generally have some major insecurities and self-worth issues.

I admire Axl has a singer and musician. One of the greatest of my generation. And an absolutely fascinating career. But unless somebody is a singer, it boggles my mind that people would idolize him.

The fact that four different women have accused him of physically beating them should be enough to keep any other female from idolizing him as a person.

I will pay $100 to go see him in concert and purchase every piece of music he releases. But like I said, celebrity worship is just sad, pathetic and really pretty creepy.

Edited by Groghan

I find celebrity worship extremely creepy and pathetic. I think people who idolize and worship celebrities generally have some major insecurities and self-worth issues.

I admire Axl has a singer and musician. One of the greatest of my generation. And an absolutely fascinating career. But unless somebody is a singer, it boggles my mind that people would idolize him.

The fact that four different women have accused him of physically beating them should be enough to keep any other female from idolizing him as a person.

I will pay $100 to go see him in concert and purchase every piece of music he releases. But like I said, celebrity worship is just sad, pathetic and really pretty creepy.

Jesus is a celebrity and you worship him.

I agree with you; I don't care what any famous person gets up to.

Axl was a cool rocker dude and back in the day did some really glorious rants - he was pretty much the ultimate bad-ass rocker figure.

Nowadays he's much more controlled and less prone to get crazy, but there's still a bit of 'wild' Axl in there and probably there will always be. The fact that he's not married or has any kids (known of anyways) makes him a cooler rock idol than most others of his age that have eventually settled down.

Sometimes I wish he would still pull a glorious rant like this one recently from Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day)...

Edited by trqster

Hmmm...Millionaire. rockstar, celebrity, famous, mountain of women...

I can't figure it out either :suspicious:

That's falling in love with the rock lifestyle, not the people.

I do think Axl's wild mood swings appealed to a lot of people, but I don't know if I'd call that idol worship.

But anyone who got excited to meet him, that's just years of enjoying what he did leading up to a few minutes of a one-time interaction.

Same here. I lost my respect for Axl out of the original GNR. My respect has solidified and increased for all the others, including Adler.

Then why would you frequently visit a website based around the man and his band ? I think that is the more intriguing question. For all of you in this post who state they don't like Axl or have no respect for him - do you frequently visit websites of other people/celebrities that you dislike so much ??? If so, which ones ? Do you perhaps also spend a lot of your free time on MilliVanilli.com or something ?

I don't go to websites dedicated to people I don't respect.

Anyone care to answer this question...?

I like Axl because of his talent, the songs he helped create over the last 25 yrs or so, and no-one can deny the man is an individual full of charisma in an entertainment industry full of corporate puppets.

Rant over :)