Ron: "If we recorded an album it would be absolutely different from Chinese Democracy"

ManetsBR

Axl Rose Fan Club from Brazil did this quick interview with Ron, it is still not published, but since is gonna take me a while to translate everything and publish, I'll already post it here. Cheers.

How being in Guns N' Roses affected your solo carreer?

It slowed down a lot – I was writing & releasing solo albums, doing solo tours & shows in Europe & US, doing guitar workshops, teaching music at SUNY Puchase College, giving guitar lessons, running my studio, producing lots of other bands, laying guest solos on other albums & being a guest on stage with other artists, writing music for TV shows, videogames, films... with all the GNR touring, I can't be where I need to be to do everything else, so it's slowed everything down. But it's a compromise I was willing to make, and I don't regret it at all.

In your opinion, what changed more on the music industry after the digital revolution?

Anyone can distribute their music, worldwide, easily. We're lucky to have this.

How do you define the brazilian fans?

Extremely passionate, more than I imagined I would ever experience...

What's the difference between Ron in Guns N' Roses and solo carreer Ron?

I have the full range to express myself outside of GNR – music, lyrics, vocals, a broader amount of guitar playing...

You've worked with hundreds of bands and artists on your carreer. What were the best to work with?

Jamming with Nancy Sinatra will always be a great memory Still, GNR has been a ride like nothing else....!

With Guns N' Roses, you play on stage for more than 3 hours. What's the physical and mental preparation you have?

It's fine, I just play may guitar, warm up my fingers & hit the stage...

What are your biggest influences on guitar?

Hendrix, Van Halen, Brian May....

You have been traveling around the world playing with Guns N' Roses for almost 7 years now. On that mean time, what were the most remarkable concerts for you and the band?

The Bridge School Benefit was very special, it was more than just a concert, it served a greater purpose – that's what matters to me.

If the current Guns N' Rose line-up wrote and recorded a new album, do you think it would sound similar or different from Chinese Democracy?

It would absolutely sound different. The Chi Dem band is long gone, we're a different band with our own personality.

A couple of years ago you were on a very dangerous accident. How is your health today?

With the right nutrition, the pain is manageable...

My pleasure, obrigado!!

Edited by ManetsBR

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice interview! :)

If the current Guns N' Rose line-up wrote and recorded a new album, do you think it would sound similar or different from Chinese Democracy?

It would absolutely sound different. The Chi Dem band is long gone, we're a different band with our own personality.

This part pretty much confirms two things, nothing has been recorded yet with the current 'band' and probably shows that Axl has very little interest in doing so...

This part pretty much confirms two things, nothing has been recorded yet with the current 'band' and probably shows that Axl has very little interest in doing so...

It has been long confirmed that this line up has not recorded together. Axl doesn't view this as a cohesive unit where they hang out in the studio and jam together. He even comps the solos and the guitarist has to relearn it live. All signs point to us getting the rest of the Bucket/Finck material if we ever get another record.

It has been long confirmed that this line up has not recorded together. Axl doesn't view this as a cohesive unit where they hang out in the studio and jam together. He even comps the solos and the guitarist has to relearn it live. All signs point to us getting the rest of the Bucket/Finck material if we ever get another record.

There is no "signs"

IMO we will get both...CD tracks and new tracks.

Just read about the tsunami benefit in 2005, Bumble was the guitarist for Cyndi Lauper and Nancy S, but the only video I could find was Sandra Bernhard and couldn't tell who the guitarist was. Doubt Bumble or Nancy (they should've done some Ron and Nancy jokes that night) have that video.

There is no "signs"

IMO we will get both...CD tracks and new tracks.

Well, there is more pointing to us getting the old Chidem session tracks than new tracks with this band. Where has it been implied that this band has written together?

Doesn't anyone find it interesting, and telling, that he said "If we recorded" instead of "When we record"

What I get out of this is they have recorded zero together as band and he sees no hope on the horizon of it happening............

Saw your post after I already did mine.......Yup my thoughts exactly..........

Edited by classicrawker

And hail the poster of this thread by already turning it into something it isn't and misspelling words, why don't you go to a newspaper office and aplie for a job, it'll be perfect for you.

IT DOESNT SAY IF THE BAND WOULD RECORD BY BUMBLE, it's the point of view from the interviewer.

Interviewer: If the current Guns N' Rose line-up wrote and recorded a new album, do you think it would sound similar or different from Chinese Democracy?

Ron: It would absolutely sound different. The Chi Dem band is long gone, we're a different band with our own personality.

and it doesn't prove anything, this band could have already rehearsed and recorded songs but everything is on a tigh leash so a thing like Chinese (2006-2008) doesn't happen again with all the leaks and bad promo.

maybe they want it air tight so they can release it on the right time and with the right means.

Chinese was already 2 years out before it landed on shelfs, so it has no point of doing that thing again like they did back then.

it's a good thing to keep a lid on it, I don't have to hear the entire album months or years before it's released again.

It would be good if it got a release date and didn't leak in advance, although this happens everytime but not in the degree it happened with Chidem.

Edited by gnrjanus

Doesn't anyone find it interesting, and telling, that he said "If we recorded" instead of "When we record"

What I get out of this is they have recorded zero together as band and he sees no hope on the horizon of it happening............

Saw your post after I already did mine.......Yup my thoughts exactly..........

Disagree about the "no hope" thing. There's no mention of future plans or a lack thereof. He's just answering a theoretical question on style.

Ali

And hail the poster of this thread by already turning it into something it isn't and misspelling words, why don't you go to a newspaper office and aplie for a job, it'll be perfect for you.

IT DOESNT SAY IF THE BAND WOULD RECORD BY BUMBLE, it's the point of view from the interviewer.

Interviewer: If the current Guns N' Rose line-up wrote and recorded a new album, do you think it would sound similar or different from Chinese Democracy?

Ron: It would absolutely sound different. The Chi Dem band is long gone, we're a different band with our own personality.

and it doesn't prove anything, this band could have already rehearsed and recorded songs but everything is on a tigh leash so a thing like Chinese (2006-2008) doesn't happen again with all the leaks and bad promo.

maybe they want it air tight so they can release it on the right time and with the right means.

Chinese was already 2 years out before it landed on shelfs, so it has no point of doing that thing again like they did back then.

it's a good thing to keep a lid on it, I don't have to hear the entire album months or years before it's released again.

It would be good if it got a release date and didn't leak in advance, although this happens everytime but not in the degree it happened with Chidem.

Fuckin A Right Man!!!

Some of you wannabe psychics are laughable with your assumptions. Just because the band hasn't recorded together doesn't mean that new ideas haven't been collaborated on with various members. Axl and DJ have collaborated together and Ron, Tommy, Dizzy, and Richard have done the same. To all the naysayers who try to see doom and gloom in Ron's words, maybe it's time to find something in your lives that interests you and makes you happy instead of playing doomsday prophets on a fan forum in regard to a band that you stopped liking years ago.

YES! So please stop making them serve as a glorified cover band Axl!!!

It just pisses me off. These guys all want to go, create and show who they are. But for some reason Captain Redbeard thinks it's a better idea to keep making them play covers from the 1986-1993 band and the 1998-2004 band. Absolute bullshit!

Edit: BBF is a great guy. Probably way better than this band deserves.

Some of you wannabe psychics are laughable with your assumptions. Just because the band hasn't recorded together doesn't mean that new ideas haven't been collaborated on with various members. Axl and DJ have collaborated together and Ron, Tommy, Dizzy, and Richard have done the same. To all the naysayers who try to see doom and gloom in Ron's words, maybe it's time to find something in your lives that interests you and makes you happy instead of playing doomsday prophets on a fan forum in regard to a band that you stopped liking years ago.

Why be such a dick? Axl has released one album in 20 years. It is perfectly reasonable to be highly skeptical about future releases.

YES! So please stop making them serve as a glorified cover band Axl!!!

It just pisses me off. These guys all want to go, create and show who they are. But for some reason Captain Redbeard thinks it's a better idea to keep making them play covers from the 1986-1993 band and the 1998-2004 band. Absolute bullshit!

Edit: BBF is a great guy. Probably way better than this band deserves.

How do you know they havent been? Why tear something down when you have no idea whats going on. They keep everything tight lipped for a reason, this time around its gonna be even tighter, because of all the leaks from CD.

How do you know they havent been? Why tear something down when you have no idea whats going on. They keep everything tight lipped for a reason, this time around its gonna be even tighter, because of all the leaks from CD.

At the risk of sounding like Dr. Phil here - you can't argue with results. And the result ever since CD came out has been a band that plays covers.

If Axl wants more credit from me all he has to do is produce some results. Like a normal band.

Edited by username

At the risk of sounding like Dr. Phil here - you can't argue with results. And the result ever since CD came out has been a band that plays covers.

If Axl wants more credit from me all he has to do is produce some results. Like a normal band.

Everybody except DJ played on CD. You gotta give these guys some credit for putting up w all the bullshit, they shouldnt have to hear it from there "fans". We dont know whats in their control or not.

And I agree more would be better, but its GnR.

Everybody except DJ played on CD. You gotta give these guys some credit for putting up w all the bullshit, they shouldnt have to hear it from there "fans". We dont know whats in their control or not.

And I agree more would be better, but its GnR.

They played on it, but don't ask how though. Rerecording a drum beat here. Copying a solo there. They may have played on it (scarcely), but they absolutely didn't create it. Let alone do so as a band. I'd say I give everybody in Guns n' Roses (a lot) more credit than Axl Rose just for putting up with this bullshit situation and for sitting around wasting their talent (except for Ashba who I simply cannot accuse of having any talent to begin with). Great guys. But I want to see what they can really do other than play songs they didn't create. And I have a gut feeling who is the big red bottleneck there...

Edited by username

Why be such a dick? Axl has released one album in 20 years. It is perfectly reasonable to be highly skeptical about future releases.

BBA is not being a dick...he's being reasonable.

Edited by volcano62

is he saying that like it's a good thing or a bad thing?

maybe he's giving an excuse for why the current band can't/won't record anything of their own... maybe you could read that excuse like, 'oh, we could never write anything as mindblowingly original and amazing as the chinese democracy line-up..."

also, BBA is trolling you. the same way MSL did when he got bored of being honest. the same way i did when gunsguy banned me for sharing my real thoughts, so i came back as CoolRanchDressing.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness