Which was the better decade for music: The 60s or the The 70s?

Vincent Vega

Which do you feel was the better time for music, in all genres?

While I love the '70s, I feel in a segment of rock, for a time, virtuosity in guitar and extravagant stage shows sort of became more important than talent...I can't see a band like The Doors for example, with their more simplistic guitar solos, continuing to be popular in the age of Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix adopting to the arena rock/glam style of the era.

Even The Stones had to hire a virtuoso blues lead guitarist to survive the early '70s and retain their relevancy.

Edited by Vincent Vega

Which do you feel was the better time for music, in all genres?

While I love the '70s, I feel in a segment of rock, for a time, virtuosity in guitar and extravagant stage shows sort of became more important than talent...I can't see a band like The Doors for example, with their more simplistic guitar solos, continuing to be popular in the age of Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix adopting to the arena rock/glam style of the era.

Even The Stones had to hire a virtuoso blues lead guitarist to survive the early '70s and retain their relevancy.

A lot of the "summer of love" bands were in a decline in the early 70s, and wound up revamping everything. I'm thinking Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Starship in this case.

It's real hard to say the outcome of The Doors, but they kind of had a bluesy, funky sound to the last 2 albums, and Other Voices with Morrison would've fit in with the times, there were a couple of country-rock-ish songs in their back catalog. Jim being a Florida outlaw might have been a fit with Skynyrd.

To me, The Doors would've found a way to fit in at the time, but I think Morrison would've started getting involved in filmmaking as the 70s went on. Now if a rock star wants to direct, produce, or write movies, they just do it. I think his UCLA connections, most of them were and still are working in film, so it would've been a matter of calling on them to make something happen. Knowing Coppola and Varda? Sam Shepard? Sure, it def. could have panned out, and The Doors would've prob. been session musicians.

You have to think about bands like Steppenwolf, Mountain, and Grand Funk Railroad being pretty big at the time, but they got kind of lost in time and get a couple of songs on the radio, but back then, were pretty popular live.

The Stones just needed a good second guitarist. There's probably all sorts of names they had, Mick and Keith were on a roll writing songs, it would've just wound up sounding different.

It's kind of a draw when it comes to 60s vs 70s, because I'm also thinking about the R&B songs from both decades, garage rock in the 60s, punk rock in the 70s, stuff like fusion, too, but a better time for music? Probably the 70s. This isn't about importance, because the 60s would easily win that debate.

60s. If I could break the rules in your question, I would say, 60s-mid-70s. But given the choice, 60s v 70s, it has to be the former. The 70s started out wonderful but the latter half saw a decline. The Stones for instance, after about 72/3 cease to be interesting. The Who's last masterpiece was Quadrophenia - what was that, 74? Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and Desire were also his last masterpieces until, probably 1997's Time Out of Mind. It is lucky for the late 70s that Neil Yong still released Rust Never Sleeps! And punk, I wasn't into. I suppose if you like punk, you may say the 70s. Mind you, I love Queen and I like Kiss. They were both pretty good decades really but I see the years, 1977-9, as a decline. This gives victory to the swingin 60s.

Wut?

No they didn't...they needed a guitarist, that's it.

They were the Stones, that's how they survived the 70's.