Should GNR Go The Motley Release Route?

axlslash

Motley Crue will never release a full-length album again, according to singer Vince Neil.

He says they may continue to release singles or EPs as with their single "Sex" in 2012, but 2008 album "Saints Of Los Angeles" will probably be their last full-length release.

"[There will be] no new album. What I'm hearing is that maybe two, three or four more songs might come out, to go with that song we released last year," he told Music News Nashville. "It will be something like an EP, not an album. Our schedule seems to have a lot of touring. If something did come out in the form of an EP, it would probably be in the beginning of 2014."

Neil adds that it's not because they're finding new songs hard to write. "If it gets hard it gets shuffled away and something else comes up, or it becomes something you can go back to and use other parts to make it work better. Most of the hit songs have been easy to write, though."

During the same interview, Neil talked about how he loves getting the opportunity to play guitar on stage.

"I wouldn't call myself a guitar player, but it's fun to do," he said. "I love it when I have a chance to play a song live and also play guitar on the song. It's something different, and it's a different look for fans watching the show."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/no_more_motley_crue_albums.html

Acts like Guns and Motley are primarily nostalgia acts. People come to hear the classics, and hopefully enjoy new material. Is it possible that Axl's perfectionist side stops a full length release, while a 3-4 song EP schedule would provide less pressure? Think of how we got CD: 3 or 4 songs at a time over 6 years or so once the ball really started rolling. Instead of leaks, make that official. Put out 3-4 songs at a time as you finish them instead of blowing 14mil on a full length record that never comes out.

I'm not a hater. CD is my favorite GNR album to listen to, and this lineup is my favorite lineup musically. I just think a small-scale release schedule might be more realistic given current trends.

Vince is concerned with being a business man now. How best to make money and keep motley viable as a touring act. Full length albums cost money to make and promote, and don't sell anymore. Making a four song EP gets you exposure, radio play, itunes single sales, without all the downside. I think Axl is more concerned with putting out the best music he can, not the format and the ability to exploit his fanbase.

Vince is concerned with being a business man now. How best to make money and keep motley viable as a touring act. Full length albums cost money to make and promote, and don't sell anymore. Making a four song EP gets you exposure, radio play, itunes single sales, without all the downside. I think Axl is more concerned with putting out the best music he can, not the format and the ability to exploit his fanbase.

No, Vince really isn't concerned with anything. He's an employee of Mötley Crüe, so he shows up for his job and does what he's told.

No, Vince really isn't concerned with anything. He's an employee of Mötley Crüe, so he shows up for his job and does what he's told.

You watched That Metal Show too. Tommy, Vince, and Nikki don't need to do it, but I think they have the mindset that as long as they can do it, and people want to come out and see it, they'll keep going.

I just think they enjoy a couple of weeks in the studio and "whatever happens, happens". They're realistic enough to know that an album is not going to sell the way they want it to, and would rather put the one or two new songs out just to have something out there to add to the show.