I think we'll hear a new song or more this year

Allen8R

I'm not going to do what we're all guilty of at one time or another and read into something that someone said offhand in an interview or look for any coded out message within a Facebook or twitter account. But what brought me back to the forum in the recent weeks has been simply my recollection of GNR's past, when they made their return in 2001-2002, 2006 and to lesser extents in the early 90's.

After GNR took a short break in the 90's, they returned and played several songs live which were then slated to be released on the UYI albums and I'm specifically thinking of the first stripped down performance of November Rain which was fundamentally different from anything previously done by GNR on AFD and Lies.

Flashforward about a decade later after the breakup and such and when GNR hits the stage, they showcase The Blues (or later Street of Dreams), Madagascar, Rhiad, Chinese Democracy and silkworms. They also threw in Oh My God, but I suppose it had been released a couple years earlier so it wasn't the first it was heard. And again, much like November Rain, all the new songs were fundamentally different from what had been heard from GNR before. And yes, I know that songs such as The blues and Madagascar certainly had their similarities to a lot of what was on UYI in terms of November Rain, So Fine and Estranged, but it certainly was clear that musically, there was a significantly different direction being taken and this was especially true in songs like Rhiad and Silkworms.

Then following another break, GNR hit the stage once again on 2006 with an altered lineup and once again showcased a bunch of new songs. The difference here is that the new songs that we heard live had leaked prior to the shows. I remember starting a thread in 06 wondering if the songs leaked because they were going to be played, or did they get played because they were leaked. To this day we don't know for sure (unless I missed something) and I wont bother speculating any further on that matter as it's rather pointless. My main point is that once they came back, they showcased some new tunes once again.

I know that the situation is slightly different with the upcoming return for 2013, as the break was much much shorter this time (thankfully) and I had been on the fence about speculating on or even expecting some new tunes. But then when I read through the interview with Ron that Manets had posted earlier today and read Ron's comment "The Chi Dem band is long gone, we're a different band with our own personality"it seemed clicked in my mind that each time some kind of lineup alteration takes place, or a musical direction change occurs prior to GNR returning to the stage, we usually hear something new which showcases what that new lineup and any subsequent musical directive change sounds like.

I know people may be a little quick to jump and call me out, saying that I claimed I wasn't going to read into something someone said in an off hand interview in the first line of my post only to quote Ron from a recent interview. So I'll point out before I'm called out, that I'm not basing this guess off of Ron's quote but it was simply his quote that brought the correlation to my attention which helped me make sense of it.

So, with that said I'm fairly confident we'll hear something new this year which represents the current bands personality. What I can't decide on, is if it would be a reworked song that was written for the Chinese Democracy era with new latest members tweaks or something more recently written and never even rumored or heard mention of.

Thoughts?

A8R

Edited by Allen8R

Interesting theory. And I for one, hope you're right.

+1

I too feel that the time is coming for some unheard material. They have fought too hard to just give up and throw in the towel. And since they haven't yet, I'm inclined to think we'll get more from them at some point!

More wild, baseless speculation that will likely lead to the gullible being disappointed if / when something doesn't happen this year. I honestly don't see any correlation whatsoever in what was presented by the OP in this thread.

Ron is entitled to believe in what he wishes, but I disagree with his comments about the Chinese D band being long gone. Some of that band is long gone, but others who had writing credits (Axl, Dizzy, Chris, Tommy) are still there. I don't see how having 4 of the same songwriters in place constitutes a band being long gone. But again, BBF is entitled to see the scenario through his own set of glasses.

The primary issue at hand isn't whether Axl and the band want to release an album this year, it is whether or not the record company is going to support that happening. Last I was aware, it didn't sound like an overly pleasant situation and not one that the record company had interested in, unfortunately. Honestly, the best that we can hope for, as fans, would be for GNR to get dropped. And last I heard, that didn't sound overly promising.

A new record this year would be great, no question, but it's doubtful. It's unfotunate too, cos I'm sure that there is some pretty amazing material sitting there and ready to go. If nothing else, I know for a fact that there is at least one killer cover song that would quiet many of the naysayers rather quickly.

Edited by BBA

More wild, baseless speculation that will likely lead to the gullible being disappointed if / when something doesn't happen this year. I honestly don't see any correlation whatsoever in what was presented by the OP in this thread.

I think I layed out the groundwork for my thoughts pretty clearly, so "wild and baseless" seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just sharing my thoughts on what might happen this year and why.

The primary issue at hand isn't whether Axl and the band want to release an album this year, it is whether or not the record company is going to support that happening. Last I was aware, it didn't sound like an overly pleasant situation and not one that the record company had interested in, unfortunately. Honestly, the best that we can hope for, as fans, would be for GNR to get dropped. And last I heard, that didn't sound overly promising.

A new record this year would be great, no question, but it's doubtful. It's unfotunate too, cos I'm sure that there is some pretty amazing material sitting there and ready to go. If nothing else, I know for a fact that there is at least one killer cover song that would quiet many of the naysayers rather quickly.

Woah woah, I didn't say anything about an album. We've all gotta know there isn't a broad chance in Hell a new album is coming out this year and probably not the next for that matter - I'm guessing we might hear a new song or two played live (or maybe leaked at best).

Edited by Allen8R

I think thats stuff is hard to find, but definatly not Axl in the past few years. Still cool to have though.

Sounds like rapidfire.

Anyone got any clue what it is someone tried selling it to me as being leave me alone lol

i was thinking it might be rapidfire

I think I layed out the groundwork for my thoughts pretty clearly, so "wild and baseless" seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just sharing my thoughts on what might happen this year and why.

Woah woah, I didn't say anything about an album. We've all gotta know there isn't a broad chance in Hell a new album is coming out this year and probably not the next for that matter - I'm guessing we might hear a new song or two played live (or maybe leaked at best).

I think the "flaw" in the theory is that Axl/GN'R probably feel previewing new music w/o a release date in sight burned them badly rather than helped them last time around. Perhaps there will be a legitimate unauthorized leak of something this year- but I'm definitely not holding my breath. Whatever the case I definitely don't expect Axl to break out the old "We'd like to play you a new song... this is called..." anytime soon. All that being said- I hope you're right. ;)

Ron is entitled to believe in what he wishes, but I disagree with his comments about the Chinese D band being long gone. Some of that band is long gone, but others who had writing credits (Axl, Dizzy, Chris, Tommy) are still there. I don't see how having 4 of the same songwriters in place constitutes a band being long gone. But again, BBF is entitled to see the scenario through his own set of glasses.

Yeah! I'd never criticize Axl again if he put out another dope cover song! Woohooo!

Well they paid for the other songs not included on Chinese Democracy correct? So they will release them... just when... and if the record company is releasing it and already paid for it I'm pretty sure they'll want to promote it.

Edited by jman2000

Do we have any evidence besides vague comments from Axl that the record company is responsible for holding up an album release?

No, it's all just speculation but it's logical to assume the record company has at least something to do with it in one way or another.