BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is 'Just Too Much' - Feb. 7, 2013

bumblecool

Steve Mascord of Hot Metal recently conducted an interview with GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On GUNS N' ROSES' plans for the follow-up for 2008's "Chinese Democracy":

Thal: "There's been talk all the time within us about the next album and what we're going to do and when we're going to do it. But, you know, life always gets in the way. Things get in the way. It's hard to have the momentum and the focus and everything that you need. It's hard to put everything aside and do a whole album.

"Personally, I don't want to do an album. I would like to just do a song. Let's just bite off a song and get a song out there and then bite off another song and get that out there. It's easier to do.

"Look, waiting for an album to get done is just too much. I can't do it myself. If I waited to finish an album, it still wouldn't be done and the album still wouldn't be out.

"When there's so much touring and so much other stuff going on, don't try and take on 14 songs. Do a song, then another song, then another song and then figure it out from there."

On singer Axl Rose's decision to skip GUNS N' ROSES' April 2012 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame:

Thal: "Honestly, we tried to work it out with the Hall Of Fame to come up with something but they had it in their mind that it was their way or no way. So they wouldn't budge and they were just trying to force a situation that wasn't good for everybody. We wanted it to be good for everybody. So…

"A lot of people should be in there that aren't. DEEP PURPLE isn't in there. That's a fucking travesty…"

On allegations that when GUNS N' ROSES played Townsville on December 1, 2010 that Rose had been "caught" lip-syncing, with local television sneaking into the venue and filming the performance:

Thal: "I assure you, everything Axl sings is real, everything I play is real, everything I sing is real. Trust me, we fuck up enough that you know it's real."

On GUNS N' ROSES' concert tardiness:

Thal: "You know what? When you're waiting, I'm waiting too. I don't want to wait fucking three hours to get on stage. I want to give you guys a show and I want you to be happy. But, hey, it's out of my control."

On reports in India that GUNS N' ROSES bassist Tommy Stinson had lost his temper on stage during an encore performance of ROSE TATTOO's"Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock'n'Roll)" in Gurgaon in December 12:

Thal: "It wasn't that. What happened was, we did our bow and we were walking off stage and we said, 'Let's do some more.' They were already packing up the gear and shutting everything down. So they first had to fire up everything all over again and half the shit was away so we started playing with half our gear and finally it was just like, 'You know what? Fuck it.' Some shit wouldn't go on, we're re-connecting cables, so the crew was going crazy trying to get it all done and it was just another moment in the history of the band."

nice questions btw

Edited by bumblecool

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it awesome to be a GnR fan?

I agree with bumble on almost everything. But I still don't see why GnR can't come up with an album when every other fucking artist can.

He seems frustrated. Understandable - he's too good for this shit.

Thal: "Honestly, we tried to work it out with the Hall Of Fame to come up with something but they had it in their mind that it was their way or no way. So they wouldn't budge and they were just trying to force a situation that wasn't good for everybody. We wanted it to be good for everybody. So…

Translation: Axl wanted NuGNR to be inducted and/or perform at the ceremony either alongside or in place of the AFD-UYI GN'R. The Hall of Fame people said no, then Axl refused to come and released his press release/tirade slamming the HoF and demanding not to be inducted at all.

Edited by Vincent Vega

Yeah Axl wanted HOF status for a band who shares a name of a famous band. A band that hadn't yet been together for 3 years and had recorded nothing at the time of the ceremony. LOL.

Rob Trujillo

That's one guy.... Not 7.

He had fuck all to do with Metallica's success and he's a "hall of famer"

As soon as Ron is financially comfortable enough about parting ways with Axl, he'll be gone.

It's obvious that he's unhappy, and it's even more obvious that Axl's focus is specifically on nostalgic touring.

And if any of them thought they were going to go on stage at the HOF and play songs created by the inductees while the majority of the actual inductees just sat around in the audience, I don't blame the HOF for laughing in their face. I had no problem with the nu band being in attendance for the sake of Axl coming. But to think they were actually gonna be apart of it was delusional on their end.

Edited by Bobbo

Yeah Axl wanted HOF status for a band who shares a name of a famous band. A band that hadn't yet been together for 3 years and had recorded nothing at the time of the ceremony. LOL.

Rob Trujillo

So by your argument... only the 'Classic' Line-Up deserved to be inducted and not Post Nu Gnr.

They have a big enough catalog to tour the world over and over.

Guns N' Roses have five albums of original material (and one of them is only 30mins long). Tell me. In 2014, will you be happy to see that same tour 'over and over' again, culled from that same large 'catalog'? In 2015, will you be happy to see that same tour 'over and over' again, culled from that same large 'catalog'? In 2016, will you be happy to see that same tour 'over and over' again, culled from that same large 'catalog'?

Guns N' Roses have five albums of original material (and one of them is only 30mins long). Tell me. In 2014, will you be happy to see that same tour 'over and over' again, culled from that same large 'catalog'? In 2015, will you be happy to see that same tour 'over and over' again, culled from that same large 'catalog'? In 2016, will you be happy to see that same tour 'over and over' again, culled from that same large 'catalog'?

whatever Axl does, lolcano will always be happy.

Yes I love GNR music and I will catch it live as many times as I can while it lasts.

Rob Trujillo

So by your argument... only the 'Classic' Line-Up deserved to be inducted and not Post Nu Gnr.

No not at all...your turning this the other way. If Rob is a hall of famer then the current GNR lineup should have been able to at least perform. Whatever the hall is a joke anyway and I don't give a fuck.

Axl is going to release Chinese Democracy II. Everybody in the current line-up features on that album. DJ was the final musician that needed inclusion. The fact is Axl isn't going to part with killer material for the creative sake of the newer line-up.

I have come to the conclusion that the next record will be the 2003-2005 album feat DJ Ashba.

Axl is going to release Chinese Democracy II. Everybody in the current line-up features on that album. DJ was the final musician that needed inclusion. The fact is Axl isn't going to part with killer material for the creative sake of the newer line-up.

I have come to the conclusion that the next record will be the 2003-2005 album feat DJ Ashba.

This. They were waiting for the final piece of the puzzle. That time is here. Look out world!

Remember that thread on HTGTH, where i told Jarmo that it was enough of touring and it was time for the band to focus on a new album? I told Jarmo that the band didn't even have time to focus on doing a new album, and Jarmo got all pissed at me for telling everyone the true...and told me that it wasn't to do with them touring and not having time... and like always blamed the record company for everything.

Now all of a sudden we have Bumblefoot confirming my thesis that they don't even have time to focus on a new album because of all the touring and all the other things they're involved in.

See Jarmo... you're such an expert aren't you? Too bad you cowardly banned me and now i can't go there to splash a reality check in your own board!

Guess what... by this time, with what Bumblefoot said, you must know you know nothing and make no sense!

Edited by AndreCC

In regards to a new album I see it as a very difficult situation. Take the fact that albums dont sell like they use to and the fact that Axl has recorded a bunch of songs with musicians that are no longer in the band and its the perfect storm for disaster. BBF wants to put out an album of all "new" material (I assume) but in reality thats not likely to happen. the next album will be like CD with a melting pot of musicians and pieced together.

As for the HOF: I think it would have been cool if Axl showed and played with the classic guys... I see no reason why the HOF couldnt have recognized CD as part of GnR's history and allowed a performance of Better with the new guys and SCOM with the classic guys then bring the house down with PC with everyone on stage. Not saying BBF deserved to be inducted but he could have been part of the preformance. Lots of options that were not done, probably due to egos and the HOF wanting to take credit for getting the classic line up together again. Sad really