Do Stage Presence of GNR Band Members Matter to You?

ChristmasFnatic

Their charisma and "personality"? Or as long as they were/are making and playing great music, its all fine?

To me, the original line up each got their own trait and stage presence which is one of the reasons I like them compared to most other bands(where aside from the singer/guitarist, the rest are obscure).

Buckethead as good as he is really kinda ruins that part of GNR for me. Thats why I like DJ Ashba cuz he brings back some of the charisma to the band. Like him or not, you can really notice his stage presence.

Edited by ChristmasFnatic

To an extent. Fortus, Tommy, Pitman and (not as much) Ron have good stage presence. Ashba on the other hand just does a bunch of pre-rehearsed "funny moments" like playing the guitar with a drumstick and doing the Hulk Hogan ear thing at every show. His stage presence is a fucking myth.

Fortus looks boss as fuck.

And to be fair, at the show I was at, I almost didn't notice Tommy and Pitman...like, at all.

Tommy used to have great energy with GnR but now he seems to be a bit in autopilot mode.

DJ, well, he gets a lot of attention but I'd say it has more to do with appearance and antics than with a grounded presence, charisma if you will...

Ron is focused on doing the job right so unless you are a fan or a guitar player I'm not sure you really notice him that much.

At the shows I went to, when Axl would introduce everyone, DJ always got the loudest cheers. He's doing something right.

It's because when he pulls his shtick it looks okay the first time you see it and 95% of the audience don't go on the forums so they don't know it's a pre-rehearsed routine that he pulls at every show.

At the shows I went to, when Axl would introduce everyone, DJ always got the loudest cheers. He's doing something right.

DJ is fake as fuck and has no individuality or charisma whatsoever. If there's one thing that original GNR had it's originality and genuineness in terms of their individual personas and styles. The only member now with any charisma is Axl. Playing your instrument well is one thing, charisma is another altogether.

Axl's history is what factors into his stage presence.

Charisma ties into interaction with the audience.

Keyboard players and drummers are kind of stuck in one place, so, it's kind of hard to have interaction with the audience. Even when you see drummers that are also singers, they have to switch gears or have another drummer take over so they can go to the front of the stage and have some banter.

Keith Moon's probably the exception to this, because he showed off on drums, and Bonzo to an extent, who did a lot of the background vocals in Led Zeppelin and would come up during their acoustic set. Genesis got a second drummer when Phil became the singer.

Most performers have their "thing" that they always do. That's how you establish a connection with an audience. It's something they can relate to because they saw it somewhere before. I'm not trying to get people to join the DJ Ashba fan club or anything... I guess I just don't see him as the problem that alot of people on this forum do.