What is the biggest obstacle for the new album?

Rustycage

Biggest obstacle  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lack of demand.

The world isn't really holding its breath waiting for a nugnr album.

True. But same can be said for most classic rock bands. Who really gives a shit if Black Sabbath puts out a new record? Die-hards excluded...

Exactly. I mean, they don't even need a full album, just a song like Bumblefoot said and see how it works from there.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I can't blame the label. Even if they are holding it up, there's ways around em.

No, there aren't. If the label wants to hold up the release, there is no way around it. Period.

Evidence that is happening, please.

He didn't say that was happening. He implied that if the label was indeed holding back the release then there is no way around it.

That's why I can't blame the label. Even if they are holding it up, there's ways around em.

No, there aren't. If the label wants to hold up the release, there is no way around it. Period.

Evidence that is happening, please.

He didn't say that was happening. He implied that if the label was indeed holding back the release then there is no way around it.

But that's not entirely true. Every contract has options and loopholes.

That's why I can't blame the label. Even if they are holding it up, there's ways around em. It may not be the most traditional way but for someone like Axl that poses as an independent kinda guy, there's plenty of independent alternatives to get your stuff out there. Itunes isn't some rinky dink little operation, they have sold over 25 billion songs in a little over 10 years. The perfect alternative to Best Buy-ish exclusivity.

I don't think Axl just can go his independent ways as long as Guns N' Roses is under contract with a label. I believe that contract prohibits just that.

Do you know the terms of the contract? Surely there must be some loopholes. Aren't the statute of limitations for a California band 7 years?

Also, he could always buy out the contract.

Of course I don't know the terms of the contract.

A record deal is basically the record company "lending" the artist money to produce music. As we know, GN'R have already used a lot of that money to produce Chinese Democray as well as at least 22 additional songs. I don't think the record company would think it's ok for the band to go ahead and release any of the music produced without them being involved in the process.

I guess they could buy themselves out, but that would probably cost millions of dollars. If GN'R owes the label one more album (I don't know if that's the case), it would be a better solution for GN'R to come to an agreement with the label for a release in order to cut themselves free (if that's what they want). Axl said in the TMS interview that they were in talks with the record company, so there were in fact (or still are?) negotiations in place for the next step. I would say that's proof of there being willingness to release more music.

Up in all this there's very little info on where the record company stands. What are their motivations with this band? Are they interested? We know there were behind the scenes stuff going on before the release of CD. Rumors of Azoff trying to push for a reunion.

If the record company's ultimate goal is a reunion wouldn't it make sense for them to stall a release with the current lineup? Because if an album release comes now they would lose GN'R from their roster. Then, if a reunion happens later, another label could pick them up.

Who really gives a shit if Black Sabbath puts out a new record? Die-hards excluded...

To be honest: a LOT more people than you imagine....

GNR is a legendary b®and name

Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) are legendary tooo...

Only the b®andname matters

If Ozzy recording his farts and release it on an album, people buy that album on iTunes just sayin'

Edited by Crash Diet

That's why I can't blame the label. Even if they are holding it up, there's ways around em. It may not be the most traditional way but for someone like Axl that poses as an independent kinda guy, there's plenty of independent alternatives to get your stuff out there. Itunes isn't some rinky dink little operation, they have sold over 25 billion songs in a little over 10 years. The perfect alternative to Best Buy-ish exclusivity.

I don't think Axl just can go his independent ways as long as Guns N' Roses is under contract with a label. I believe that contract prohibits just that.

Do you know the terms of the contract? Surely there must be some loopholes. Aren't the statute of limitations for a California band 7 years?

A record deal is basically the record company "lending" the artist money to produce music. As we know, GN'R have already used a lot of that money to produce Chinese Democray as well as at least 22 additional songs. I don't think the record company would think it's ok for the band to go ahead and release any of the music produced without them being involved in the process.

My concern about this is the record company went for total recuperation with the Best Buy deal which would hint that they wanted to wash their hands of the band and just break even. A buyout wouldn't be as expensive as if, say, Axl never released CD.

I guess they could buy themselves out, but that would probably cost millions of dollars. If GN'R owes the label one more album (I don't know if that's the case), it would be a better solution for GN'R to come to an agreement with the label for a release in order to cut themselves free (if that's what they want). Axl said in the TMS interview that they were in talks with the record company, so there were in fact (or still are?) negotiations in place for the next step. I would say that's proof of there being willingness to release more music.

But if the record company is holding back any releases(as claimed), an agreement looks next to impossible. If no one has opted out and there are no other loopholes except to buy out, Axl could buy it out and recover some of the losses through an independent release.

If the record company is holding out for the other "22 songs," then why would people claim they are preventing releases? That is contradictory. THE TMS interview is an interesting issue but it's not unlike Axl to shift blame. If he is so determined to have the new music circulated, why haven't we heard at least 1 song in all of these shows? Nothing stops them from doing live versions.

Up in all this there's very little info on where the record company stands. What are their motivations with this band? Are they interested? We know there were behind the scenes stuff going on before the release of CD. Rumors of Azoff trying to push for a reunion.

If the record company's ultimate goal is a reunion wouldn't it make sense for them to stall a release with the current lineup? Because if an album release comes now they would lose GN'R from their roster. Then, if a reunion happens later, another label could pick them up.

Good question but that's assuming that GNR only owe them one more record. But in a stalemate like that, Axl holds the cards because after a period of time, the contract will expire. It's not a lifetime contract. To assume that the record is preventing any releases to hold out for a reunion while stating such motivation is to "lock them under contract until the reunion happens" while also claiming that they can hold it forever and GNR are trapped is kind of playing it from both ends. It's not a lifetime contract. Every contract expires and has loopholes.

Edited by Rustycage

My concern about this is the record company went for total recuperation with the Best Buy deal which would hint that they wanted to wash their hands of the band and just break even. A buyout wouldn't be as expensive as if, say, Axl never released CD.

But if the record company is holding back any releases(as claimed), an agreement looks next to impossible. If no one has opted out and there are no other loopholes except to buy out, Axl could buy it out and recover some of the losses through an independent release.

If the record company is holding out for the other "22 songs," then why would people claim they are preventing releases? That is contradictory. THE TMS interview is an interesting issue but it's not unlike Axl to shift blame. If he is so determined to have the new music circulated, why haven't we heard at least 1 song in all of these shows? Nothing stops them from doing live versions.

Good question but that's assuming that GNR only owe them one more record. But in a stalemate like that, Axl holds the cards because after a period of time, the contract will expire. It's not a lifetime contract. To assume that the record is preventing any releases to hold out for a reunion while stating such motivation is to "lock them under contract until the reunion happens" while also claiming that they can hold it forever and GNR are trapped is kind of playing it from both ends. It's not a lifetime contract. Every contract expires and has loopholes.

From the things we have heard in interviews from Axl and other band members, their relationship with the label haven't been very good these past years. The fact that Axl said they were in talks with the label says that some sort of agreement between them is trying to be made.

A lot of the things I've written is of course just speculation, and what sort of agreement they're trying to make I don't know. From my point of view though, it seems like both Axl and the band wants to release more music sooner rather than later, but there's something blocking them from doing so. It might not be the record company doing so in a directly manner, rather than something in their contract that does not please Axl, and he won't proceed until that matter is taken care of.

For all we know, he wants to continue with Geffen for future albums, and the negotiations are for a new and better contract with them. This might be an easier way to get good terms for them in the contract, rather than start from scratch with a new label.

As for why we haven't heard any new music, even live versions, I don't know. They might not wanna start playing new stuff until they know a release is within reach. Chinese Democracy kinda suffered from that, having the songs circulating for years ahead of the actual release.

For those that believe GN'R should be able to just put music independently of the record company, can you think of an artist with a major label contract that was able to put out music (new single, EP, etc.) outside of their label?

Ali

Axl in general. His perfectionist nature, his seemingly impossible standards and goals, maybe his lack of inspiration or determination. But I'm 100% convinced that the only reason GnR isn't putting out music is Axl Rose.

Edited by Powerage5

Where's the option for Slash? Or is it not his fault no more? :P

Lack of demand.

The world isn't really holding its breath waiting for a nugnr album.

True. But same can be said for most classic rock bands. Who really gives a shit if Black Sabbath puts out a new record? Die-hards excluded...

Exactly. I mean, they don't even need a full album, just a song like Bumblefoot said and see how it works from there.

I could absolutely settle for that

i think it is because every single person involved, music companies, band members, ex band members, pretty much everyone except dj ashba and axl, wants a reunion. tommy probably doesn't want to be in the band anymore ever since the subject of hiring duff to replace him popped up from the leaked emails, Fortus never really seemed involved in coming up with music, frank is well just frank, and bumblefoot appears to hate everything thats going on. To tell yourself that there is going to be another nu-gnr album isn't even worth it, no record company is going to want to put up with axl. its really sad Axl should just release a bunch of old songs online in good quality like NIN. I bet it'd do better than Chinese Democracy did, which isn't very hard. I see that cd in best buy all the time in those bargain bins. its really really depressing. No one wants a gnr without slash besides the few hundred on this site.

I vote for Axl motivation. But how about Bucket, Robin and Brain, they was the most important members of nuGNR, and they left. Now Axl's stuck with the CD material.

That's just it. What does the band release? Do they release the leftovers as they are? Do they re-record parts with Dj Bumble and Frank?

Or, do they just record Ashba's songs? Do they start from scratch?

What should the band do..which is something a lot of people don't ask enough around here IMO. Personally, I want the leftovers AND new material, but whatever. Won't get either.

For those that believe GN'R should be able to just put music independently of the record company, can you think of an artist with a major label contract that was able to put out music (new single, EP, etc.) outside of their label?

Ali

radiohead?

If you're refering to In Rainbows, they had been free of their label for 4 years when they released that album.

On topic, I'm thinking the record company or else the band just not getting into the studio. Doesn't the record company own the other songs that didn't make CD because they were recorded all around that time? Once the touring stops, I don't think it'll be real long till we hear something about a new album.

On topic, I'm thinking the record company or else the band just not getting into the studio. Doesn't the record company own the other songs that didn't make CD because they were recorded all around that time? Once the touring stops, I don't think it'll be real long till we hear something about a new album.

So if they own those songs, why would they be blocking their release? If they are insistent on getting their hands on those leftover songs, why would they shoot themselves in the foot by shelving them?

So if they own those songs, why would they be blocking their release? If they are insistent on getting their hands on those leftover songs, why would they shoot themselves in the foot by shelving them?

Possibly not able to get a contract with a retailer like Best Buy again? Honestly I don't know... just assumptions...

Ali

radiohead?

If you're refering to In Rainbows, they had been free of their label for 4 years when they released that album.

Yes, exactly.

I'm talking about releasing music independently while STILL under contract.

I can think of no example where that has ever occurred.

If no one else can, that should say something about the likelihood of GN'R doing that.

Ali

Possibly not able to get a contract with a retailer like Best Buy again? Honestly I don't know... just assumptions...

But that's what I can't get on board with. They recovered their CD expenses. Any material left from that is pure profit.....

unless it's true that Best Buy also has privilege to that material which would suggest the deal regarding that material was already done with CD. If that rumor is true, what exactly is being blocked by the company? New material they just recorded according to fake rumors late last year?

I think it's a bit more complex than 'the record company refuse to release new music'.

The band has a say in what songs they want on their own album as well. Let's say the situation is that the label refuse to fund more studio time, thus leaving only the CD-session music available for release. The band wants at least half of the next album to be music written and recorded by the current lineup. Then you have a conflict of interest.

The negotiation may be about funding for more recording. Just another theory...

Edited by Spirit

I think it's a bit more complex than 'the record company refuse to release new music'.

The band has a say in what songs they want on their own album as well. Let's say the situation is that the label refuse to fund more studio time, thus leaving only the CD-session music available for release. The band wants at least half of the next album to be music written and recorded by the current lineup. Then you have a problem of interest.

Yeah. I come back to the rumor of them being in the studio a couple of months ago. Was that a lie? If not, a deal is done it would appear.

The band has a say in what songs they want on their own album as well. Let's say the situation is that the label refuse to fund more studio time, thus leaving only the CD-session music available for release. The band wants at least half of the next album to be music written and recorded by the current lineup. Then you have a problem of interest.

Yeah. I come back to the rumor of them being in the studio a couple of months ago. Was that a lie? If not, a deal is done it would appear.

I don't know anything about that..

And to say 'a deal is done' based on that would warrant that that theory is the correct one. We have no way of knowing that unfortunately.

Edited by Spirit

I don't believe the band has been in the studio since 2008.