What is the biggest obstacle for the new album?

Rustycage

Biggest obstacle  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On topic, I'm thinking the record company or else the band just not getting into the studio. Doesn't the record company own the other songs that didn't make CD because they were recorded all around that time? Once the touring stops, I don't think it'll be real long till we hear something about a new album.

So if they own those songs, why would they be blocking their release? If they are insistent on getting their hands on those leftover songs, why would they shoot themselves in the foot by shelving them?

I think it's a bit more complex than 'the record company refuse to release new music'.

The band has a say in what songs they want on their own album as well. Let's say the situation is that the label refuse to fund more studio time, thus leaving only the CD-session music available for release. The band wants at least half of the next album to be music written and recorded by the current lineup. Then you have a problem of interest.

The negotiation may be about funding for more recording. Just another theory...

Yeah. I come back to the rumor of them being in the studio a couple of months ago. Was that a lie? If not, a deal is done it would appear.

I don't believe the band has been in the studio since 2008.

I'm not sure that's true.

Richard Fortus to Glide Magazine in April 2012 (http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=181)

You’ve been out a long time with GNR, haven’t you?

Yeah and I was out with Thin Lizzy last summer. Then I came back and did three months with them in Europe, came straight back and I’ve been out with Guns since then. We went straight in to rehearsals and recording and down to South America for six weeks and then started in the US and we’ve been gone the whole time. So I just got home.

Ali

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Money. Im not sure but someone inbetween the labels money and the bands.

At the first show after the CD release Axl told a story about meeting Dylan. It was a funny story but the punch line was Dylan saying he didnt care he just wanted the money from GNR covering Heavens door. Axl seemed to be daying thats why were here.

So if the label stumped up 40 mil for a record. There be one.

I don't get the record company argument.... 1. The material is there its not like they have to pay for a shit load of sessions. 2. Chi dem made money, I don't see why they'd prevent another release knowing full well axl would rather do nothing than reunite so its their only way to make money. 3. Axl complains about shit he doesn't like. He's ranted about tonnes of people including the record company. Why won't he or anyone else in the band even mention that their entire artistic expression is being held back? 4. Are there any examples of something like this happening in the past? There's similar situations like corgan not being allowed to release a double album with machina and Geffen encouraging Kurt to change some of the sounds on in utero but I can't think of a label holding a band hostage like some of you people convince yourselves to believe.

If the record company wanted a new album and there was a market for it, there wouldnt be a lack of motivation. I am also sure the departed CD members do leave a black cloud over the older material. Not that it's not usable, but probably needs more work now that they are gone. Im sure robin and bucket will be rerecorded. Not sure about brain.

Edited by tr420

I don't get the record company argument.... 1. The material is there its not like they have to pay for a shit load of sessions. 2. Chi dem made money, I don't see why they'd prevent another release knowing full well axl would rather do nothing than reunite so its their only way to make money. 3. Axl complains about shit he doesn't like. He's ranted about tonnes of people including the record company. Why won't he or anyone else in the band even mention that their entire artistic exp<b></b>ression is being held back? 4. Are there any examples of something like this happening in the past? There's similar situations like corgan not being allowed to release a double album with machina and Geffen encouraging Kurt to change some of the sounds on in utero but I can't think of a label holding a band hostage like some of you people convince yourselves to believe.

Prince and George Michael come to mind.

I think might be that GNR want to get paid for material they made in the CD era. Or the label are just going to put out a Best of and drop the band.

Axl seemed pretty relaxed about it in USA today. But comes done to the deal they can get from label. Maybe some money for a video.

Its prob the same as the Motely situation. Touring is the answer.

So, what is the biggest obstacle? Have we answered the thread's question yet? I need to know.

Pretty much everything points to it being that the label and industry and fanbase as a whole generally want a reunion for money and nostalgia so it's impossible to get anything done. It's been suggested that the label at various times over the last decade+ have asked for a compromise such as Axl asking Slash to play on 3 Chinese songs. But Axl hasn't been able to reach any such compromise with them and it's likely they can't be arsed with working on a 100% Nu-GNR project

This will sound weird but I often imagine what i'd do if I were a multi-milionaire/billionaire because there are plenty of them and it seems like none of them care about anything except getting more money and building skyscrapers and massive yachts.

I wonder why there isn't a rich Prince fan who would give Warners a few billion in exchange for giving Prince the rights to his catalogue back so he can start to reclaim his legacy which Warners have buried since 1996.

If I was a billionaire i'd pay whoever I needed to whatever I needed to to make it possible for Axl to release more music and promote it properly.

Then i'd hire him to play a string of shows and have him work on it til we had great live versions of all the Chinese songs plus Estranged, Locomotive and some other shit.

It's the label.

- MSL told us a few years back that Axl had handed in a second album of sorts. The record is there, everything points to that. Axl has not formally called studio time with the present line-up as he is very much intent on trying to release a second installment from the Chinese Democracy sessions. Whatever the musicians are attempting individually is probably to jump start the album after the next, so they aren't all edging on the oblivion by the time it actually starts

- There are rumoured outstanding payments to Caram Costanzo

- The label probably won't support a new record in grandiose GN'R style terms

- I feel the repeated tours is Axl trying to directly demonstrate the market for Guns N' Roses, and that the recruitment of DJ Ashba is to strategically bolster that position

Edited by NGOG

It's the label.

- MSL told us a few years back that Axl had handed in a second album of sorts. The record is there, everything points to that. Axl has not formally called studio time with the present line-up as he is very much intent on trying to release a second installment from the Chinese Democracy sessions. Whatever the musicians are attempting individually is probably to jump start the album after the next, so they aren't all edging on the oblivion by the time it actually starts

- There are rumoured outstanding payments to Caram Costanzo

- The label probably won't support a new record in grandiose GN'R style terms

- I feel the repeated tours is Axl trying to directly demonstrate the market for Guns N' Roses, and that the recruitment of DJ Ashba is to strategically bolster that position

Trouble is that 'the biz', as Axl puts it, knows it would make more money from a few reunion shows than it would from a whole NuGNR tour and it wouldn't have to pay to record or promote new music by a string of people that most don't recognise.