Duff & Matt-- A couple of questions

Vincent Vega

Hey Marc--a couple of questions for you regarding Duff and Matt.

Slash quit in October 1996, but Duff and Matt stayed in GN'R for a while longer--Matt was fired in April 1997 and Duff quit in August 1997. Matt claims he was fired over a fight with Axl; Duff claims he quit because he couldn't be in a band where Axl was the dictator.

1) Do you think Duff and Matt would've continued in GN'R--Basically being in "New GN'R" if they felt working with Axl was easier? Do you think they would've stayed on board in spite of Slash's departure?

2) As far as you know, were Duff and/or Matt OK with Axl experimenting with the GN'R sound? Did either of them support GN'R going in a more modern direction in the '90s?

3) As far as you know, did Duff or Matt ever work with Robin in GN'R? Robin joined in January '97 while they were still in the band...Do you know if there were ever any sessions by an Axl/Robin/Duff/Paul Huge/Matt/Dizzy GN'R lineup?

4) What did Duff and Matt think of Paul Huge as far as you know? Were they willing to work with him in any way?

I think Matt got fired sticking up for Slash or something like that. I think Duff thought that Slash would somehow come back, Also there was a lot going on with Duff around that time and I think he just needed to get out of there. I don't know how they felt about Paul. I don't think Duff is the type of person that would experiment with music. He has always just played from what's in his head. I don't remember if Duff was still around when Axl found Robin and if he was that could have been one of the reasons he left.

Edited by recklessroad

Interesting info...

I can perfectly understand as why Slash & Duff left in the first place, but It's a real shame that Matt & Gilby were 'fired' too - they're a pretty important part of the UYI era and both were very charismatic musicians. It's also not good for Axl to be by far the oldest guy on his band - just makes him look old...