Dizzy Reed questions

Vincent Vega

A few questions about old GN'R's most controversial member:

1) Is it true that Dizzy was wanted in GN'R as early as 1986? Axl claims he wanted Dizzy to join in '86 but he badly hurt his hands in an accident a week before he was to be asked. Do you know anything about this, did Axl want a keyboardist in GN'R from the beginning? Do you think the other guys would've supported Dizzy joining in '86?

2) Why did Slash have so much against Dizzy joining GN'R? To this day he still seems to have a beef about Dizzy joining and he acts like Axl forced it on the band.

3) Did the other guys--Izzy, Duff, Matt--have any issue with Dizzy joining the band as far as you remember?

4) Would you say Dizzy likely wrote the piano, organ and keyboard parts he plays on the UYI albums?

5) Why did Axl want a keyboardist/pianist as a full member of GN'R--even in the studio--when Axl himself is a good piano player? Just was wondering if you ever knew his reasoning. Why did he make Dizzy a full member of Guns instead of say just a session guy or touring member?

6) Lastly--Some GN'R fans claim that a keyboardist/organ player in GN'R "diluted' the sound and made the band sound less raw. What is your own personal opinion as both a fan of GN'R and as a rock music fan in general.

2) Why did Slash have so much against Dizzy joining GN'R? To this day he still seems to have a beef about Dizzy joining and he acts like Axl forced it on the band.

As far as I've understood it, Slash didn't really want a pianist, background singers etc. in the first place. I don't think it had anything to do with Dizzy personally.

I remember in the Estranged video he said he was given the sheet music for Estranged. I'm pretty sure what he plays for November Rain and Don't Cry were for the most part what Axl had laid down on a demo or something at some point, which he then probably just passed it to Dizzy to learn.

As far as the other songs, it was probably Dizzy just following the songs' chord progressions. He isn't listed as writing anything on UYI, so that's what I think he was doing, and what often happens in a band when someone didn't write or arrange a specific part of the song.

Edited by zepsun

I remember in the Estranged video he said he was given the sheet music for Estranged. I'm pretty sure what he plays for November Rain and Don't Cry were for the most part what Axl had laid down on a demo or something at some point, which he then probably just passed it to Dizzy to learn.

As far as the other songs, it was probably Dizzy just following the songs' chord progressions. He isn't listed as writing anything on UYI, so that's what I think he was doing, and what often happens in a band when someone didn't write or arrange a specific part of the song.

Slash isn't listed as writing any part of November Rain or Estranged or Breakdown, but I doubt Axl wrote the guitar melodies and solos on his own.

Edited by Vincent Vega

Lots of Questions that I don't know all the answers to. I do know that Dizzy did hurt his arm in Sept of 1986. I'm sure Axl wanted to add a bit more to the band at that time but it didn't work out. I know Slash got along well with Dizzy but I don't know what his thoughts were about him joining the band. I know That Axl wrote a lot of the main piano parts for UYI but knew that it would be hard to play them live and sing and move around they way he would like to. I like Diizzy's playing on UYI but I'm not sure if every song needed it.

Slash isn't listed as writing any part of November Rain or Estranged or Breakdown, but I doubt Axl wrote the guitar melodies and solos on his own.

Read a god damn real credit. It's Slash who wrote every solo. And NR, he wrote 2/3 solos, even Slash said that.

Edited by Black Roses