The General - Greatest song/Biggest Flop?!

AndreCC

The only time I ever rocked out to Back off Bitch was when my Ex was in a pissy bitchy mood and I was driving with her and some of my boys. This is like 9 years ago... so I cranked it as loud as I could and sang every word as if I was singing it for her. :) Good Times.

what.png

LOL just what I said. She was in a pissy mood, and I was driving, and I blasted back off bitch. My boys thought it was funny and she was was pissed about it lol.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sebastian Bach was carrying on that Sorry was full doom metal or some shit, Then it came out and i was like WTF.

Lesson: Don't listen to Seb. He on crack

Didn't he say it was doom metal like Black Sabbath and the heaviest song Axl has ever wrote?

I really wouldn't take notice of anything Bach says... I rememeber after Angel Down he went on a rant and said he would not release another album... Now his second after Angel Down is coming out!

And don't forget Axl's trilogy of albums coming out by 2012, and that Axl is like George Lucas, dude!!!

Enough of Bach...

If The General really does use music from the tour intro then I think it will be awesome. That music always pumped me up.

Sebastian Bach was carrying on that Sorry was full doom metal or some shit, Then it came out and i was like WTF.

You lazy, lazy people. This took me 10 seconds to find on Google.

One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said “Fine” — and one of my favorite songs is this song called “The General”, which is so… it’s by far the heaviest metal tune I think I’ve ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, “When is this coming out?” And he said “2012″ I was like, “Dude, you’re killin’ me!” He goes, “Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it’s a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.” He’s got it all figured out, he’s just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know…the world’s not prepared for what I’ve heard from this guy.

You lazy, lazy people. This took me 10 seconds to find on Google.

One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said “Fine” — and one of my favorite songs is this song called “The General”, which is so… it’s by far the heaviest metal tune I think I’ve ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, “When is this coming out?” And he said “2012″ I was like, “Dude, you’re killin’ me!” He goes, “Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it’s a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.” He’s got it all figured out, he’s just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know…the world’s not prepared for what I’ve heard from this guy.

Yeah I remember reading the above quote by Baz.

Damn Axl for procrastinating / or whatever his problem with the label is...2012 came and went and we are still left hung out to dry waiting for the new music to fill our ears.

I'm pretty sure Axl had reserved the 'big guns' for CD 1 - he wouldn't risk otherwise... the General and other CD '2' songs are probably fillers comparec to CD 1 material...

Why are you pretty sure when pretty much all of the info we have suggests otherwise? I'm not going to read Chinese Whispers for you but there are probably 30 statements made by various people involved in recording or who heard music that make it clear that some of the unheard material is at least as good as the best of Chinese.

Axl was asked by one dude in '09 if he was happy with the album and he replied 'Not as happy as I wanted to be.' The guy didn't get to follow up the question but I take it to mean that the song selection was ultimately dictated by the leaks. I remember Merck saying 'IRS isn't even in the top 10 new songs'.

There are people like Marco Beltrami who have talked about unheard songs with the same regard as Prostitute. If Baz is saying the unreleased stuff is that damn good why would anyone doubt him?

I'm not googling for people but Axl and others have also made it clear in talking about which songs would be on which record that the second record would have a different sound/theme etc to the first and that some songs were already earmarked for further down the track.

Personally I have no doubt that some of the Bucket/Finck era stuff is gonna be absolutely awesome, I just wonder if Ax will be able to do those 'high, screaming vocals' justice live.

Baz is no credible source to me....he's just way too much into kissing Axl's ass...

That being said as a fan I certainly hope that Axl's got some real killer rockers out there waiting to be released someday, but after CD my expectation level is not that high any longer...

Nothing to do but waaaaaaaaait and see I guess...

Edited by trqster

I'm pretty sure Axl had reserved the 'big guns' for CD 1 - he wouldn't risk otherwise... the General and other CD '2' songs are probably fillers comparec to CD 1 material...

There are big guns on CD 1?

Better, Chinese Democracy, There Was a Time and Street of Dreams i suppose

There was a time might be the only one that I'd say.... In Axl's mind maybe... But SOD- Average Ballad... Better-Decent (Sans Intro) but many thought the middle was a mess at first.... CD-Below Average. Come On.. Five Guitars for One Riff? Really?

None are big guns. When I hear Big Gun... I think. Estranged or Coma. Nothing on CD really got me thinking Big Gun.

There was a time might be the only one that I'd say.... In Axl's mind maybe... But SOD- Average Ballad... Better-Decent (Sans Intro) but many thought the middle was a mess at first.... CD-Below Average. Come On.. Five Guitars for One Riff? Really?

None are big guns. When I hear Big Gun... I think. Estranged or Coma. Nothing on CD really got me thinking Big Gun.

Coma is not a big gun, it wasn't even a single.

Depends what you're defining a "big gun" as. One that's made to become a hit, or one that's just a big song that's had a ton of stuff put into it? Coma is definitely the latter.

Bollocks. Twat, Prostitute and This I Love for sure. And although back in '02 Axl said he was saving the 'big guns' for the album i.e. not playing live, Madagascar is a big gun.

Big gun to me doesn't mean radio friendly or commercial or single or album track or anything like that. It simply mean fucking epic, majestic, stunning piece of rock art.

I was thinking about this song and how everything seems to evolve around it.

I mean everyone that is close to Axl says it's their favorite song (Sebastian etc...), and how this song rocks. And even fans are over reacting and saying this should be NEW GNR's masterpiece.

If you talk about a new album, this is the first song someone will ask about, someone will bring in for a discussion. What is it with this song?! Makes you wonder.

Well let's see the other side of all of it, with all this crazy build up around it, what if The General is actually not that great after all, and everyone will get disappointed at it when it comes out.

I mean, it's quite possible! Remember when Sebastian used to compliment IRS so much, and then it ended up being this song, that really isn't anything special comparing to other songs in Chinese Democracy?! That could very well happen with The General!

What do you think will happen if The General flops? What if this song isn't all that special after all? With all the buildup behind it, will you be so mad about it that you feel you will have a biased opinion on the rest of the album?

The General is often referred as if it was New GNR's masterpiece, do you think people will finally bury GNR in their minds and move on if the song flops? Do you think The General will be the biggest fail in GNR History if it fails to be a great song? Do you think they're doing all this build up behind that song because the song isn't actually that special (as IRS) ? Do you think a new album would fail, if this song fails, even considering that there's 12 or 13 more songs that can be good?

Do you think there is no way that this song will be a big fail, and that it will rock the shit out of the next album?

Who all have said this is their favorite song off the album? You say "sebastian, etc"...........who are the other people?

I don't see any problem with a song being labeled a potential masterpiece. The problem comes into play when that song sits on a shelf for years and years and years and then a decade or more, without being released.

I was thinking about this song and how everything seems to evolve around it.

I mean everyone that is close to Axl says it's their favorite song (Sebastian etc...), and how this song rocks. And even fans are over reacting and saying this should be NEW GNR's masterpiece.

If you talk about a new album, this is the first song someone will ask about, someone will bring in for a discussion. What is it with this song?! Makes you wonder.

Well let's see the other side of all of it, with all this crazy build up around it, what if The General is actually not that great after all, and everyone will get disappointed at it when it comes out.

I mean, it's quite possible! Remember when Sebastian used to compliment IRS so much, and then it ended up being this song, that really isn't anything special comparing to other songs in Chinese Democracy?! That could very well happen with The General!

What do you think will happen if The General flops? What if this song isn't all that special after all? With all the buildup behind it, will you be so mad about it that you feel you will have a biased opinion on the rest of the album?

The General is often referred as if it was New GNR's masterpiece, do you think people will finally bury GNR in their minds and move on if the song flops? Do you think The General will be the biggest fail in GNR History if it fails to be a great song? Do you think they're doing all this build up behind that song because the song isn't actually that special (as IRS) ? Do you think a new album would fail, if this song fails, even considering that there's 12 or 13 more songs that can be good?

Do you think there is no way that this song will be a big fail, and that it will rock the shit out of the next album?

Who all have said this is their favorite song off the album? You say "sebastian, etc"...........who are the other people?

I don't see any problem with a song being labeled a potential masterpiece. The problem comes into play when that song sits on a shelf for years and years and years and then a decade or more, without being released.

Brain, Tommy, they both said it was their favorite song. Brain gave more detail and was really excited about it.

I was defining Big Gun as a Masterpiece... which to me, Coma Is. Nothing on CD touches it. Nothing guitar wise can hold a candle to Coma by the new band. The Chords, the variations, the different directions the song goes in. The end of TWAT is like what... three chords repeating over and over and over and over. The solo is the only saving grace.